Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Constancex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
I just bought a 13" 2.5GHz with 8gb of ram I was wondering am I making a smart decision. I will be using it for college. I want the air but the cost and how much memory it holds, makes me not want to get one. Should I return the MacBook Pro for an air? I will be using this laptop for 3 years most likely

Last edited:

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I just bought a 13" 2.5GHz with 8gb of ram I was wondering am I making a smart decision. I will be using it for college. I want the air but the cost and how much memory it holds, makes me not want to get one. Should I return the MacBook Pro for an air? I will be using this laptop for 3 years most likely

I think you made the smart decision. with the cMBP, you'll be able to upgrade or repair some components yourself and you get the added superdrive capabilities and I/O.

Don't start suffering from buyer's remorse or anything because I would always advise buying a machine that you might actually be able to repair/upgrade over one that with a configuration that you're stuck with and would be more difficult and costly to repair.

Enjoy college!

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
For the 13 inch, I think the air would be the better. The 15 has much more power to it, making the expansion options worth it. I'm looking at the same thing here.

If you need a DVD-ROM and expansion ports built in, cMPB still wins hands down.

traumuhhtize

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
You should keep it, although the MBA is gonna be easier to carry around you'll have more storage and you'll be able to upgrade it if you need to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.