Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandomQuestion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2013
On my MacBook Air 2013, I have seen a small pixelated box randomly appear twice.
I can't recall if the first time, being in the exact same spot and/or if it was while using Safari.

The small box goes away after I bring the cursor over top of it or move the window.

Software or hardware issue?

http://s16.postimg.org/67ew1c5cl/photo.jpg

mbafan

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2013
when videocards were failing on my pcs i saw such boxes, but a lot of them

still if u havent installed some drivers etc., then it could be bad videocard or some graphics parts, if u have new MBA just bring it in so they change, if u cannot do that u can try reinstalling etc. to see wether problem persists

RandomQuestion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2013
when videocards were failing on my pcs i saw such boxes, but a lot of them...

Thank for your response. I haven't installed any drivers or anything (just Adobe CS) which I wasn't running when this happened.

But when this happened on your old pc's, did it go away after moving something on screen in that area? And was it happening in the same spot?

RobertJP

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
I've seen it a few times as well. I tend to think it's drivers related because I've only seen it happen in the OS X UI and never in games. I've also stress tested the GPU for over an hour in Windows and never got any artifacts. Hopefully they release an update that fixes it soon. I'm still in my return period, I will probably get it replaced to be safe. Here is a thread of people will similar issues.

gordon1hd1

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
I've seen it a few times as well. I tend to think it's drivers related because I've only seen it happen in the OS X UI and never in games. I've also stress tested the GPU for over an hour in Windows and never got any artifacts. Hopefully they release an update that fixes it soon. I'm still in my return period, I will probably get it replaced to be safe. Here is a thread of people will similar issues.

Yep, I also seem the problem with my i7/8gb 2013 13 Haswell MBA. I only have the MBA for less then a week, but already seem it twice.

So since couple people have seem the problem already on their own MBA. I am assuming it is a software (gpu driver) issue.

SchodMC

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2013
Germany
I had the same issue (only once for now). And the funny thing: I also had it inside the bookmark bar in Safari and also at the begin of a bookmark's name (like in your photo). After clicking on that Bookmark, the glitch was gone.

Could it also be a strange combination of Safari and a buggy HD5000 driver?

cu
SchodMC

mbafan

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2013
to be on safe side download some gpu test programm and run stress test and see if artifacts appear then

vwluke

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2009
i also got the pixelated box glitch on me new 2013 macbook air also in the bookmarks bar. wondering if i should get it exchanged while i am still in my warranty period

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.