Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:13 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Publishers in E-Book Antitrust Case File Objection to DOJ's Proposed Punishment for Apple

The five book publishers who settled with the U.S. Government in the e-book antitrust case have filed an objection with the court arguing that the Department of Justice's proposed punishments for Apple would violate their settlement agreements from before the trial began, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The DOJ has recommended that the "agency model" deals with publishers be nullified and that Apple require competitors such as Amazon to put direct purchase links to their own e-book stores inside their iOS apps. Some experts have said that Apple could owe as much as $500 million in penalties.
Quote:
In a court filing Wednesday afternoon, the publishers said that the U.S. Department of Justice's demands on Apple would eliminate the use of the "agency model" for the sale and distribution of e-books for a period of five years, by prohibiting Apple from entering such agreements.

Under the agency model, publishers, rather than Apple, set the retail price for e-books.

"The provisions do not impose any limitation on Apple's pricing behavior at all; rather, under the guise of punishing Apple, they effectively punish the settling defendants by prohibiting agreements with Apple using an agency model," lawyers for the publishers said in papers filed in federal court in Manhattan.
Apple has consistently defended its behavior and called the DOJ's proposal a "draconian and punitive intrusion into Apple's business".

Article Link: Publishers in E-Book Antitrust Case File Objection to DOJ's Proposed Punishment for Apple
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:21 PM   #2
needfx
macrumors 68020

if it pleases the court (i.e. the mods)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-08-08 at 1.55.38 AM.png
Views:	152
Size:	783.6 KB
ID:	427252  
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:22 PM   #3
braddick
macrumors 68030

Not cool.
braddick is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:25 PM   #4
LaDirection
macrumors 6502

Remember when there used to be good news about Apple?
LaDirection is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDirection View Post
Remember when there used to be good news about Apple?
The publishers are supporting Apple.
Plutonius is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:41 PM   #6
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

The publishers aren't really siding with Apple. They are looking out for their best interests. The DOJ prevents Apple from using the agency model. The publishers want the agency model. Apple is almost an unintended beneficiary in this instance.
ValSalva is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:48 PM   #7
Glideslope
macrumors 68020

"Trust the Government. It worked well for the Indians".
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:52 PM   #8
Rennir
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glideslope View Post
Yeah Obama vetoing the ban on Apple products definitely doesn't garner trust.
Rennir is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:53 PM   #9
stilted
macrumors newbie

Wow, now that Amazon has almost completed its task of putting every B&M bookstore out of business, the government steps in to make sure their slash-and-burn business model survives in the digital market as well.
stilted is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:57 PM   #10
Ochyandkaren
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Ochyandkaren
Wrong analogy. But It worked well for those who elected said government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glideslope View Post
These days, any government care less about the people.
Fake pundits are there to soothe the people, while the government please corporations.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilted View Post
Wow, now that Amazon has almost completed its task of putting every B&M bookstore out of business, the government steps in to make sure their slash-and-burn business model survives in the digital market as well.
Obamaís guys are in the Amazonís pocket.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:00 PM   #11
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

Don't understand why this case is so hard to solve. All the DoJ have to do is get Apple to remove the clause from their agency agreements that prevents the publishers from selling their eBooks through Amazon at a lower price. If Apple wants to make 30% margin on eBook sales that's fine. If Amazon want to make 5% margin and sell the eBooks much cheaper that's up to them. It's a free market. Ultimately customers will decide who gets their money.
Shaun, UK is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:08 PM   #12
tigres
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post
Don't understand why this case is so hard to solve. All the DoJ have to do is get Apple to remove the clause from their agency agreements that prevents the publishers from selling their eBooks through Amazon at a lower price. If Apple wants to make 30% margin on eBook sales that's fine. If Amazon want to make 5% margin and sell the eBooks much cheaper that's up to them. It's a free market. Ultimately customers will decide who gets their money.
Your thinking way to logical.

We need a committee of at least 100 govt workers and a hearing to conclude what you did on a forum in 2 years time.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:22 PM   #13
Ochyandkaren
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Ochyandkaren
Fair Trading?

Quote:
it's a free market. Ultimately customers will decide who gets their money.

Yeah, it is a free market.

We are human beings, do not forget that.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
Your thinking way to logical.

We need a committee of at least 100 govt workers and a hearing to conclude what you did on a forum in 2 years time.
Explaining the Apple Ebook Price Fixing Suit by Adam C. Engst for tidbitsDOTcom
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:34 PM   #14
Tknull
macrumors regular

Can someone explain the governments logic in this whole thing to me..... The crux of the whole situation, as I see it:

1) Publisher sets price..... nothing much to complain about in re Apple on this

2) Apple negotiated a clause that said that if the Publisher allowed a different seller to sell a given book for a price lower than what it told Apple to sell it for that Apple could lower their price to match said price

3) So the whole situation that Apple fought for and won in the negotiation was the ability to LOWER prices

4) So how is what Apple doing in any way hurting the consumer? Publisher sets price. Is the government actually upset that Apple would want to lower the price if they could?

----------

Quote:
My understanding was that the clause Apple had did not prevent a publisher from selling a book on Amazon or any other store for a lower price. It merely said that if it did, Apple could lower the price on their store as well.

So your solution merely forces Apple to sell for a higher price than it would prefer to sell for. How is that good for consumers?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:34 PM   #15
Aidyn's X
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyandkaren View Post

Explaining the Apple Ebook Price Fixing Suit by Adam C. Engst for tidbitsDOTcom
I had to scroll too far down to find the article. I'll just make a blanket statement based on no facts at all:

Apple is both greedy and has the American government in their pockets while at the same time they fight the American government on the eBook pricing scandal in which they try to give publishers (including private authors) the freedom to sell works they own at prices they find fair while Apple asks for 30% like they do for anything else they sell... the big jerks.
Aidyn's X is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:40 PM   #16
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyandkaren View Post
These days, any government care less about the people.
Fake pundits are there to soothe the people, while the government please corporations.

----------

Obamaís guys are in the Amazonís pocket.
Really?

Amazon bought off the entire DOJ?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:48 PM   #17
MWPULSE
macrumors 6502a

well this just made it interesting again... I wonder how on earth this is gonna play out!

I won't pretend to understand the entirety of the case, but it doesn't seem like Apple did anything wrong particularly.

hmmm

*keeps reading articles about case outta boredom*

15" 2.3Ghz MBPr13, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; 15" 2.4Ghz MBP08, 4GB RAM, 200GB; 1.66Ghz Mac Mini06 1GB RAM, 250GB+320GB; 32GB iPhone 5
MWPULSE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:55 PM   #18
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
Really?

Amazon bought off the entire DOJ?
You don't have to buy off "the entire DOJ" in order to buy off the DOJ. It happens all the time. No clue if Amazon has, but it wouldn't surprise me.
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:57 PM   #19
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tknull View Post

Quote:
My understanding was that the clause Apple had did not prevent a publisher from selling a book on Amazon or any other store for a lower price. It merely said that if it did, Apple could lower the price on their store as well.

So your solution merely forces Apple to sell for a higher price than it would prefer to sell for. How is that good for consumers?
Ok which one of these scenarios was the real deal?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 08:01 PM   #20
ConCat
Banned

This is the issue with government intrusion. BTW, this should really have been in PRSI.
ConCat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 08:07 PM   #21
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
The publishers aren't really siding with Apple. They are looking out for their best interests. The DOJ prevents Apple from using the agency model. The publishers want the agency model. Apple is almost an unintended beneficiary in this instance.
How does this benefit Apple?
I can see this part not hurting apple. But help?
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 08:10 PM   #22
Thalesian
macrumors member

As a protest against anti-trust charges that book publishers colluded with Apple to raise prices, book publishers collude with Apple to challenge US court ruling. Seems to check out.
Thalesian is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 08:10 PM   #23
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a

Apple lets publishers sell their ebooks via the app. Apple just wants their 30% as with every other item that is sold through apps. This is in the contract that the people who write apps agree to.

Everyone can buy whatever book from Amazon (or Nook or Kobo) they want via the web while on their iOS device. They don't need to be in the app to buy them. I think they should be able to have a link to their site in the app (not direct links to each individual book).

Apple needs to just break out their iBook division and charge them 30% so that they are being the same to all book sellers.

Gary

Last edited by garylapointe; Aug 7, 2013 at 08:15 PM.
garylapointe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 08:19 PM   #24
Consultant
macrumors G5

So publishers looked at Amazon's predatory monopoly and grew some spines?
Consultant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 08:28 PM   #25
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tknull View Post
Can someone explain the governments logic in this whole thing to me..... The crux of the whole situation, as I see it:
Looking for the bold is where you generally find the most problem.
ugahairydawgs is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion