Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:14 AM   #1
JoelHodder
macrumors member

Discussion: iPod Classic as a future investment

I'm considering buying a few iPod Classics as an investment for the next ten/twenty years. Buy them, keep with receipt and in sealed box, then sell in ten/twenty years.

Presuming Apple does eventually (within the next five or so years) discontinue the iPod Classic line, this is sure to be a solid investment right?

Any thoughts/comments/predictions!?

Joel
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:58 PM   #2
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

It won't make you a lot of money, if any at all. For one, there are hundreds of millions of iPods. Not all of them are Classics, but I presume that the point of "investing" in the Classic is because of its classic scroll wheel design, which many of those millions of iPods sold have. Also, inflation will probably take a bite out of whatever money you do make on it.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 01:07 PM   #3
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelHodder View Post
I'm considering buying a few iPod Classics as an investment for the next ten/twenty years. Buy them, keep with receipt and in sealed box, then sell in ten/twenty years.

Presuming Apple does eventually (within the next five or so years) discontinue the iPod Classic line, this is sure to be a solid investment right?

Any thoughts/comments/predictions!?

Joel
In ten years time, I'll be a cheap used iPhone 8 on eBay with more capacity
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 04:25 PM   #4
combatcolin
macrumors 68020

Save your money for a deposit on a house.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 04:30 PM   #5
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Maybe in.....

30-50 years the iPod Classic become a collectors prized item. But not as the Apple II or Lisa boards getting thousands of dollars in auction houses....

Old Aug 8, 2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Fralle
macrumors Demi-God

I presume you think they would be as valuable as sealed iPods on ebay today? A first generation sealed classic could fetch thousands of dollars...

Well, it could be like that, but you have to consider that Apple as a brand is very "hyped" today. Anything apple could sell for high prices at ebay. In ten or twenty years time, the hype could be gone, and who would be interested? Would you buy a "sealed" VHS recorder from JVC today? I'll guess not

You also should consider that when the iPod was introduced in 2001, who had the bright idea of keeping a mp3 player from apple unopened as a future investment? Not many people at all, hence not that many left sealed which means very high value on the collectors market today! Nowadays a lot of people collect and buy these to sell with a profit in later years, and there will always be a lot more of later models on the market, and they will never be as valuable.

I would invest my money in gold or art instead

Last edited by Fralle; Aug 9, 2013 at 12:08 AM.
Fralle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 05:03 PM   #7
12vElectronics
macrumors 6502a

I'd say the last year/gen of the iPod Classic could become a collectors item in the future..
Old Aug 9, 2013, 03:06 AM   #8
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

No.

Your biggest collectors, already have a few saved for them. And so do museums. And Apple will probably have some of their own to hand over too. Don't be stupid enough to think that Apple doesn't have mint and working models of all their devices, because the fact that they were able to replace the 1st gen iPod Nanos say otherwise.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 03:22 PM   #9
kokako
macrumors regular

not a good investment, besides you have plenty of time to buy, they are not selling now but Apple will keep them going for awhile still, it's their good luck charm, if you could get hold of the original 2001 October model mint with packaging that be worth a few thousand bucks!
kokako is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 04:54 AM   #10
JoelHodder
macrumors member

Whoops just bought 5! Haha! But thanks for all of your interesting points...

One of the iPod I bought is for personal use however, and I noticed that when I first plugged it into iTunes and got the 'welcome to your new iPod' screen....the background image only showed the Touch, Nano and Shuffle.... a sign of the Classic's imminent departure perhaps? (hopefully?!).
Old Aug 11, 2013, 08:02 AM   #11
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
the background image only showed the Touch, Nano and Shuffle.... a sign of the Classic's imminent departure perhaps? (hopefully?!).
Hopefully? Damn you! Some of us want a new, updated Classic.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:31 PM   #12
12vElectronics
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Whoops just bought 5! Haha! But thanks for all of your interesting points...

One of the iPod I bought is for personal use however, and I noticed that when I first plugged it into iTunes and got the 'welcome to your new iPod' screen....the background image only showed the Touch, Nano and Shuffle.... a sign of the Classic's imminent departure perhaps? (hopefully?!).
Hopefully not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJism23 View Post
Hopefully? Damn you! Some of us want a new, updated Classic.
I agree. I'm totally down for a new one.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Tags
classic, future, investment, ipod