Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Engali
macrumors member

Adobe Reader lag (Retina Pro)

So I got the 2012 Macbook Pro with Retina display (2.6 ghz, 512 gb, 8gb RAM) laptop when it came out and recently had to wipe it and restore to factory settings because I had some bad kernel packets that were causing my machine to take 5 min+ to boot up. After getting it back through the mail (also had the screen replaced due to image retention) I ran through normal setup, downloaded the applications I needed, and started using it.

PDF files lag extremely hard, both in Safari and within Adobe Reader after being downloaded. I recall it being laggy, but not this laggy. I tried looking up some possible solutions online including downloading RightZoom and making sure Adobe was excluded as well as fiddling with Adobe Reader settings. I also checked to make sure I have the latest version of AR (11.0.3). Nothing has helped.

I am just starting my PhD program and I will be doing tons of research, mostly reading PDF files. Any help on how to fix this issue or any workarounds would be greatly appreciated.
Engali is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:55 PM   #2
laurihoefs
macrumors 6502a

Are you absolutely sure you previously had Adobe Reader installed?

As far as I know, AR has been horribly laggy on the rMBP the whole time, which is why I removed it and have mostly been using Preview. Preview only lags with some files, where Adobe Reader lags with absolutely everything.

Maybe you had also noticed the same thing, removed AR and used Preview, then forgot the whole ordeal? At least that's a mistake I could quite easily make
laurihoefs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 01:35 PM   #3
mseth
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engali View Post
PDF files lag extremely hard, both in Safari and within Adobe Reader after being downloaded.

I am just starting my PhD program and I will be doing tons of research, mostly reading PDF files. Any help on how to fix this issue or any workarounds would be greatly appreciated.
There is your problem, Adobe Reader. AR is very poorly optimized, just use Preview, it's built right in. It's much smoother and has annotation, notes/comments and form editing tools. You can also show hide toolbars, the sidebar and many other features.

NOT RECOMMENDED WORKAROUND: If you really need to use Adobe Reader, disable Automatic Graphics Switching under Energy Saver (in System Preferences). This will use the NVIDIA Card at all times. It will consume more battery life but should help speed up PDF rendering times in AR.
mseth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 02:02 PM   #4
leman
macrumors 68040

Adobe reader on OS X should be classified as a malware. Its a horrible, unbearably slow program, extremely poorly coded, which plants itself into multiple locations and does not provide an uninstaller. To actually remove it, you have to delete a number of well-hidden files via the unix shell. If you don't have a compelling reason to use it - avoid it like a pest. Preview is very competent PDF tool and it supports stuff AR does not.
leman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 07:54 PM   #5
Engali
macrumors member

I'm guessing that if I used Bootcamp to run Windows that this issue wouldn't occur in Windows, right?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 09:04 PM   #6
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816

Is there any specific reason you can't use Preview?
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:05 PM   #7
Engali
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseth View Post
There is your problem, Adobe Reader. AR is very poorly optimized, just use Preview, it's built right in. It's much smoother and has annotation, notes/comments and form editing tools. You can also show hide toolbars, the sidebar and many other features.

NOT RECOMMENDED WORKAROUND: If you really need to use Adobe Reader, disable Automatic Graphics Switching under Energy Saver (in System Preferences). This will use the NVIDIA Card at all times. It will consume more battery life but should help speed up PDF rendering times in AR.

I downloaded gfxcardstatus or whatever it's called to force it to stay on the NVIDIA card. It still lags like crazy.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
Is there any specific reason you can't use Preview?
It's not that I can't use Preview, it's that I want to be able to use a program I have grown intimate with over the years and most recently during my master's program. I also don't want to deal with any hiccups/formatting issues caused by switching between OSes or devices. I actually like to read PDFs sometimes on my 1st G iPad in Goodreader and then upload it to Dropbox or email it later on.

I dunno, just wish that I didn't have to adapt my program usage to what a nearly $3K laptop can handle.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 06:37 PM   #8
mseth
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I dunno, just wish that I didn't have to adapt my program usage to what a nearly $3K laptop can handle.
It's Adobe Reader. It's just as laggy on a 12 Core MP as it is on a 2006 MBP.
mseth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 06:40 PM   #9
ronjon10
macrumors regular

The last release or two of AR has been laggy on my work PC as well. Bloat thy name is Adobe.
ronjon10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 07:01 PM   #10
Mr MM
macrumors 65816

the problem as mentioned is adobe reader, for windows use something like foxit reader

its been a while since I used that thing, but with foxit everything I marked down is there for me to see on preview
Mr MM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 07:17 PM   #11
Engali
macrumors member

I used my $275ish netbook today to look up PDF articles in Adobe. Ran pretty smooth. Looks like I'll have to dual boot on my rMBP or just use the netbook.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 04:36 PM   #12
peor
macrumors newbie

Speaking of Preview and PDF, pretty some people here have problems with PDF on Retina MBP. How does it work on your Retina MBP guys?
peor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 07:36 PM   #13
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

Bring on Mavericks. I need to work with PDF files a ton, so I'm glad I am holding off for the new rMBP which will come with Mavericks.
PDFierro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 07:45 PM   #14
ayeying
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to ayeying
Use Preview. Adobe Reader lags in OSX regardless of what system you're using. It's really just bad design of the software.
ayeying is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:00 PM   #15
theuserjohnny
macrumors 6502

I have that issue also, I only use it because "preview" won't let me print multiple slides on one paper (unless I'm missing something).

It's really annoying.
Google Nexus 4 16GB
theuserjohnny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:34 AM   #16
dastinger
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I downloaded gfxcardstatus or whatever it's called to force it to stay on the NVIDIA card. It still lags like crazy.

----------

It's not that I can't use Preview, it's that I want to be able to use a program I have grown intimate with over the years and most recently during my master's program. I also don't want to deal with any hiccups/formatting issues caused by switching between OSes or devices. I actually like to read PDFs sometimes on my 1st G iPad in Goodreader and then upload it to Dropbox or email it later on.

PDFs won't change the formatting when you're reading them using different computers. It's not like other text files.
dastinger is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:56 AM   #17
Watabou
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I used my $275ish netbook today to look up PDF articles in Adobe. Ran pretty smooth. Looks like I'll have to dual boot on my rMBP or just use the netbook.
As it's been already mentioned, it's not the rMBP's fault at all. It's Adobe's fault for making a crappy pdf reader. It may very well work fine on Windows but Preview on the Mac is just so much faster, you'd be mad to use Adobe Reader over it.
Watabou is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 03:45 AM   #18
jafingi
macrumors 6502a

Either use Preview (which is great), or run Windows in a VM (Parallels). No need for dualbooting
jafingi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 04:23 AM   #19
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:

----------

I highly recommend you take the computer back then. You'll be more satisfied in the long term because you are intimately aware of Windows and it's cheaper.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:38 PM   #20
Engali
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
I highly recommend you take the computer back then. You'll be more satisfied in the long term because you are intimately aware of Windows and it's cheaper.
Nah, I'm gonna keep it and dual boot. Like I said, I got it when it came out last year and there's no returning it at this point. It's just a bit sad I can't really use Adobe in OSX, but whatever. I otherwise really like OSX.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by peor View Post
Speaking of Preview and PDF, pretty some people here have problems with PDF on Retina MBP. How does it work on your Retina MBP guys?
...isn't this exactly the topic of this thread?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:49 PM   #21
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Nah, I'm gonna keep it and dual boot. Like I said, I got it when it came out last year and there's no returning it at this point. It's just a bit sad I can't really use Adobe in OSX, but whatever. I otherwise really like OSX.

----------

...isn't this exactly the topic of this thread?
You can use adobe, I use adobe acrobat pro every day.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 03:03 PM   #22
Engali
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
You can use adobe, I use adobe acrobat pro every day.
Yes, I CAN use it, but it has lagged responses where scrolling responds 3-5 sec I ask for it to. Adobe reader works better on my netbook. It's a subpar experience in OSX, so I'm dual booting.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 03:07 PM   #23
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Yes, I CAN use it, but it has lagged responses where scrolling responds 3-5 sec I ask for it to. Adobe reader works better on my netbook. It's a subpar experience in OSX, so I'm dual booting.
Crossover..
Old Aug 11, 2013, 04:07 PM   #24
jafingi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I still don't understand why you're dual booting.

Use a VM like Parallels or VMWare Fusion, or even VirtualBox (free!) to run Windows right from OSX. You don't have to dual boot, and the performance will be just fine for Adobe Reader.

The problem is not Apple's, but Adobe who made a totally crappy software solution for OSX.

However, why don't you just use the built in reader in OSX? You can read PDFs, search them, write annotations etc. they doesn't look different than in Adobe Reader. That's the whole idea with PDF They look the same regardless of the viewer you use.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 04:39 PM   #25
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I downloaded gfxcardstatus or whatever it's called to force it to stay on the NVIDIA card. It still lags like crazy.[COLOR="#808080"]
That's because laggy UI in applications is bottlenecked by the CPU, not the GPU. Adobe Reader is just not optimized for retina rendering. Preview is much, much better, even with the integrated graphics.
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro