Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ollifi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
Is it possible to calibrate MBA, mid-2013, screen brightness, same way as in iOS?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is it possible to calibrate MBA, mid-2013, screen brightness, same way as in iOS?

I have never seen a way to do this, and I suspect this is the reason for the lack of responses to your question.

The ambient light sensor controlled by the System Management Controller (SMC). You might try a SMC reset and see if that helps.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
What do you mean by "same way as in iOS"? You can calibrate the screen by going to System Preferences > Displays > Color > Calibrate but there isn't a simple brightness calibration.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
I have been looking for an answer to this too for a while. I like the way iOS handles the brightness (amid all of the confusion of how it works). You set it at the lowest brightness you want and it will only get brighter from there but never go below the lowest you set it at. I have mine set to just above lowest so when I am in the dark it is a perfect brightness for my eyes but any other time it will pick a good brightness increase by it self using the ambient light sensor.

The brightness on the macbook and keyboard seem to have a mind of their own sometimes and don't seem to work as efficiently.

Ollifi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
Yes, that's what I'm meaning. Has anyone developed app to fix this? For example, My keyboard light is on even the environment is bright.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Yes, that's what I'm meaning. Has anyone developed app to fix this? For example, My keyboard light is on even the environment is bright.

U can set the keyboard's brightness independent of the screen brightness. I just set the keyboard's backlit to its lowest settings, intending to save power.

As a touch typist, I don't really READ the keys but the backlit, albeit faint, allows my fingers to be positioned at the "home" position, if you took typing class, then after that my touch (automatic) takes over.

For the rest of u trying to adjust the screen brightness, don't expect it to be perfect all the time, that is the automatic adjust works perfectly. If you have to manually adjust it during usage for your current ambient, seems OK to me, not a big deal.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009

This is because the sensor sits next to the camera. My keyboard is always on when I'm working right in front of a window and the sensor is exposed only to the dark interior of the room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.