Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 8, 2013, 03:36 PM   #1
niuniu
Banned

Ask.fm hysteria

A 14 year old girl committed suicide last Friday. She had posted on a website called Ask.fm asking a question about eczema. Some of the responses were nasty, such as 'go die', and 'kill yourself'.

Her family have taken to blaming this website for the suicide, and the media have a full-on campaign against it now. The Prime Minister has commented on it, indirectly, too. Advertisers have said they are boycotting the website from today (McD's, BT, Vodaphone, SKY etc).

Is Ask.fm that bad compared to other websites? Or did this come at a time when we're all getting geared up to start legislating the (anti-) social web?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...-cyberbullying
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...led-death.html
http://news.sky.com/story/1126169/te...swer-questions
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-8749648.html
niuniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 03:38 PM   #2
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Sounds like they need mods.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
A 14 year old girl committed suicide last Friday. She had posted on a website called Ask.fm asking a question about eczema. Some of the responses were nasty, such as 'go die', and 'kill yourself'.

Her family have taken to blaming this website for the suicide, and the media have a full-on campaign against it now. The Prime Minister has commented on it, indirectly, too. Advertisers have said they are boycotting the website from today (McD's, BT, Vodaphone, SKY etc).

Is Ask.fm that bad compared to other websites? Or did this come at a time when we're all getting geared up to start legislating the (anti-) social web?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...-cyberbullying
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...led-death.html
http://news.sky.com/story/1126169/te...swer-questions
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-8749648.html
While I'm certainly not ready to make a direct causal connection between the posts on the website and the child's suicide...I don't have a problem with the sponsors withdrawing support of the site to avoid association with a distasteful site.

I'm not suggesting censorship, but if the site loses sponsors, then the owners have some decisions to make.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:12 AM   #4
R94N
macrumors 68020

The losing of the sponsors seems like a typical knee-jerk reaction to me so they can try and retain some positive PR. Everyone's beating down on this site and calling it for to be shut down (including the Daily Mail of all things which is laughable). Kids get bullied in playgrounds and when walking home too, should we ban that? It doesn't solve the problem.
R94N is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:49 AM   #5
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

I don't think the world can really grasp yet that social life on the internet is just as important as in real life to these young kids. I'm in my mid 30's, so it took me awhile to grasp that myself. I didn't grow up with social media or any type of social bullying.

It's a shame that the words of disrespectful users could hurt a girl so badly that she kills herself.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:06 AM   #6
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Yes we have always had bullies. But we are now at a stage when those bullies can hide their identity and get at you 24-7. This sort of mental torture is hard for anybody to bare, let alone vunrable teenages.
My 11 year old daughter was bullied at school last year (mostly because of her Aspergus). We now have to try and undo the damage caused before she starts her next school. Fortunately most of the children she was at school with will be going elsewhere.
So what's the answer? Stay off social media? Well if only it was that simple. Apart from being laughed at for not having a Facebook or twitter account, you hear plenty of stories of fake pages set up.
My heart goes out to this girls family, and I pray it will be the last such story we hear. Sadly we all know it won't be.

On a side note, the Mods here do an excellent job of policing this site. If only every website was so well run!
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:50 AM   #7
niuniu
Banned

Even Twitter have said they'll add a report tweet function now. UK government and press have put the thumbscrews on them after the bomb threats tweeted over the past few weeks.

I remember the posters at bodybuilding.com on a 19 year old's web chat (justin.tv) telling him to kill himself, a mod from the website was there too. The guy was depressed, and had posted saying he was depressed, so a bunch of members flocked to push him over the edge.

The guy did kill himself, in front of the web cam, in front of the posters egging him on.

The mod that was there, is still there as far as I know. The website owner had the mods delete all related threads and mention of it that night. Police didn't end up doing anything either.

Current laws simply aren't adequate to handle these situations, and website owners have shown that they couldn't care to regulate themselves. Twitter, Facebook etc only improve privacy and security when something goes wrong and public pressure builds up.
niuniu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 07:34 AM   #8
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The guy did kill himself, in front of the web cam, in front of the posters egging him on.
This is seriously sick. I just don't understand how some people can actually sit and watch a guy kill himself, and for fun. And I bet more than one of them either recorded it or took screenshots afterwards. Disgusting.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 07:55 AM   #9
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
This is seriously sick. I just don't understand how some people can actually sit and watch a guy kill himself, and for fun. And I bet more than one of them either recorded it or took screenshots afterwards. Disgusting.
Recorded and music added
Youtube removed by moderator

A little cartoon of the suicide for kicks

Last edited by maflynn; Aug 12, 2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 08:46 AM   #10
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
Even Twitter have said they'll add a report tweet function now. UK government and press have put the thumbscrews on them after the bomb threats tweeted over the past few weeks.

I remember the posters at bodybuilding.com on a 19 year old's web chat (justin.tv) telling him to kill himself, a mod from the website was there too. The guy was depressed, and had posted saying he was depressed, so a bunch of members flocked to push him over the edge.

The mod that was there, is still there as far as I know. The website owner had the mods delete all related threads and mention of it that night. Police didn't end up doing anything either.

YouTube: video

Current laws simply aren't adequate to handle these situations, and website owners have shown that they couldn't care to regulate themselves. Twitter, Facebook etc only improve privacy and security when something goes wrong and public pressure builds up.
Just did a google search on this and oh my, the comments in some of the threads in that forum. Just wow. Homophobia is alive and well.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 09:14 AM   #11
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Although these people are nasty I don't think they should be held accountable for the thin skin of the person on the other side of the screen. If they were raped or something and then the kids went on a smear campaign that is one thing (happened recently here), but if its a complete stranger telling you to kill yourself and you do it there is something wrong with you.
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 09:26 AM   #12
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
Although these people are nasty I don't think they should be held accountable for the thin skin of the person on the other side of the screen. If they were raped or something and then the kids went on a smear campaign that is one thing (happened recently here), but if its a complete stranger telling you to kill yourself and you do it there is something wrong with you.
Yes there is something wrong with the person. That's why they're feeling suicidal
niuniu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:14 AM   #13
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yes there is something wrong with the person. That's why they're feeling suicidal
"Go kill yourself" isn't a threat. If these kids are so unstable maybe their parents should be monitoring them closer. Parents have already left enough of their responsibilities on the table in regards to school, time to pick it up, you popped them out and now its time to do your job.

I blame the parents 100%. The world is a nasty place, better prepare your kids for it.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:31 AM   #14
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
I blame the parents 100%.
Let me get this straight.

We can tell people who are feeling suicidal to kill themselves, because 'the parents are to blame'.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:01 AM   #15
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Let me get this straight.

We can tell people who are feeling suicidal to kill themselves, because 'the parents are to blame'.
No we can tell people to go kill themselves because its not a physical threat and because everyone has the option to not follow what someone else says, free will.

If I tell you to go crash your car into a building I'm not going to be liable if you actually do it.
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:29 AM   #16
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
No we can tell people to go kill themselves because its not a physical threat and because everyone has the option to not follow what someone else says, free will.

If I tell you to go crash your car into a building I'm not going to be liable if you actually do it.
We know that's the law. But what's your point?
niuniu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:37 AM   #17
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Recorded and music added

A little cartoon of the suicide for kicks
YouTube: Youtube removed by moderator
Well, there's two YouTube videos I'm definitely not watching. Someone posted his death to YouTube? That's even sicker.

Quote:
I think there's also something seriously wrong with someone who will sit on someone's live webcam feed, convince him to kill himself, and proceed to record it and post it to YouTube, likely with ad revenue so they can make some money off of it. In fact, I find that kind of person far more despicable than most others.

Last edited by maflynn; Aug 12, 2013 at 05:06 AM.
samiwas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 01:31 PM   #18
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
I think there's also something seriously wrong with someone who will sit on someone's live webcam feed, convince him to kill himself, and proceed to record it and post it to YouTube, likely with ad revenue so they can make some money off of it. In fact, I find that kind of person far more despicable than most others.
No one is questioning that its wrong, just whether we should be locking people up for telling someone that they should go kill themselves. People do **** all day long around here that I find disturbing and wrong, but that doesn't mean they should be put through the legal system for it.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 01:43 PM   #19
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
"Go kill yourself" isn't a threat. If these kids are so unstable maybe their parents should be monitoring them closer. Parents have already left enough of their responsibilities on the table in regards to school, time to pick it up, you popped them out and now its time to do your job.

I blame the parents 100%. The world is a nasty place, better prepare your kids for it.
Take it you don't have any kids then? If some child tells my child who has Aspergus she is fat, she believes them. Doesn't matter how many times I tell her different. By the time a child is at school, they see their peers for longer each day than the parents.
I blame the morons who think its okay to be mean because nobody knows who they are. The Internet is full of trolls. I think they should be held accountable for the things that happen as a result of their posts. That way, at least some might think twice about being so horrid.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 01:45 PM   #20
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
Take it you don't have any kids then? If some child tells my child who has Aspergus she is fat, she believes them. Doesn't matter how many times I tell her different. By the time a child is at school, they see their peers for longer each day than the parents.
I blame the morons who think its okay to be mean because nobody knows who they are. The Internet is full of trolls. I think they should be held accountable for the things that happen as a result of their posts. That way, at least some might think twice about being so horrid.
As I said before, the world is a nasty place, get used to it.

Personally I was always told if I didn't have anything nice to say then not to say anything at all, and it was backstopped with a belt sitting on the washer in case I forgot.

Horrible kids come from horrible parents.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:16 PM   #21
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
As I said before, the world is a nasty place, get used to it.

Personally I was always told if I didn't have anything nice to say then not to say anything at all, and it was backstopped with a belt sitting on the washer in case I forgot.

No we don't 'get used to it'. We work incrementally at improving society.

What do you think we've been doing since the start of civilization.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:17 PM   #22
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No one is questioning that its wrong, just whether we should be locking people up for telling someone that they should go kill themselves. People do **** all day long around here that I find disturbing and wrong, but that doesn't mean they should be put through the legal system for it.
Yes. I wasn't trying to argue otherwise. I come across dozens of people daily I'd like to bitch slap, but there's nothing illegal about what they've done.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:40 PM   #23
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Sad thing is ... I bet more than half of the negative posters were from adults.

As a grow man, if I hung out in front of a school and starting teasing and verbal bullying underage kids/teens, you better believe somebody would do something about it. I might get charged with some type of harassment.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:47 PM   #24
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
Sad thing is ... I bet more than half of the negative posters were from adults.

As a grow man, if I hung out in front of a school and starting teasing and verbal bullying underage kids/teens, you better believe somebody would do something about it. I might get charged with some type of harassment.
You'd get a grown man come over and pummel you for abusing his child.

That's what's missing from the internet - there is no extra-legal form of reprisal for anti-social behavior. No threat of a kicking, or social exclusion, or getting a bad reputation.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:47 PM   #25
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
That's quite a simplistic view. I agree many kids could do with better parenting. Sadly for many they only have 1 parent in their lives.
But 2 kids from the same parents can be completely different.
One can grow up with a moral compass, the other without.

Perhaps if the government/teachers/parents took responsibilities for their actions, then perhaps the kids growing up might learn about accountability.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues