Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
So the apartment complex I live in offers free wifi, but the wifi goes in and out in certain parts of my apartment. I was thinking. Would a wifi booster help alleviate the poor connectivity? The problem I think is that the wifi network has a log-in page that you just have click to agree in-order to connect.

I was thinking of one of two wifi boosters:

Wifi Booster 1

Wifi Booster 2

Thoughts?

Sparticu$

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
So the apartment complex I live in offers free wifi, but the wifi goes in and out in certain parts of my apartment. I was thinking. Would a wifi booster help alleviate the poor connectivity? The problem I think is that the wifi network has a log-in page that you just have click to agree in-order to connect.

I was thinking of one of two wifi boosters:

Wifi Booster 1

Wifi Booster 2

Thoughts?

One booster would work fine. You definitely don't want string repeaters off of each other. If you are looking to add multiple repeaters you would need to set them up as access points which you can only do if you have Ethernet ports in your apartment. It should have any issue even though it requires a log in. I used to use a repeater in my dorm.

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
One booster would work fine. You definitely don't want string repeaters off of each other. If you are looking to add multiple repeaters you would need to set them up as access points which you can only do if you have Ethernet ports in your apartment. It should have any issue even though it requires a log in. I used to use a repeater in my dorm.

I only want one, but sure which would work better. Would these work with a wifi log-in page?

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I use an Alfa R36 repeater/router in my RV to connect to weak campground access points. I connect a higher power USB access point (Alfa AWUS036H )to it with a high gain, directional antenna. This gets me a private network where I can connect wired and wireless devices and it only looks like one connection to the access point. Useful at locations that only provide a single connection or single login.

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
I use an Alfa R36 repeater/router in my RV to connect to weak campground access points. I connect a higher power USB access point (Alfa AWUS036H )to it with a high gain, directional antenna. This gets me a private network where I can connect wired and wireless devices and it only looks like one connection to the access point. Useful at locations that only provide a single connection or single login.

So if the network requires you to click on a "accept the terms and login" button, these boosters will work?

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
So if the network requires you to click on a "accept the terms and login" button, these boosters will work?

Yes. The first computer to connect gets the message and the login screen. None of the others get the login screen since they are seen as the same device - the IP and MAC address come from the repeater, not your computer.

We were at one location that had a paid service for usable Internet access. It only allowed one login at a time. With my repeater I was able to use all the devices on the one login.

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
Yes. The first computer to connect gets the message and the login screen. None of the others get the login screen since they are seen as the same device - the IP and MAC address come from the repeater, not your computer.

We were at one location that had a paid service for usable Internet access. It only allowed one login at a time. With my repeater I was able to use all the devices on the one login.

Great thanks! I will purchase one of these things tomorrow!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.