Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Applelogo1.png
Apple's Board of Directors has expressed concern about the company's "pace of innovation" according to a report from Fox Business Network's Charlie Gasparino. The board is normally extremely secretive and, if accurate, this report is unlike anything we've heard from inside the company in recent years.
From what we understand, there is concern at the board level, sources are telling the Fox Business Network, about the pace of innovation over at Apple. What have they had lately? They had the iPad and a few other things, but they don't have anything innovating from what came from Steve Jobs and that concern is basically manifesting into pressure on Tim Cook to innovate, and to do something fast.

We should point out, this is an interesting boardroom drama. It does not mean that Tim Cook is out of a job or that there is a job search out there, we don't know that and I don't believe that is happening. In fact, sources inside Apple are saying that's not the case.

What we are able to confirm is that the board is worried about what is in the pipeline. Do they have the right stuff in the pipeline? Do they have innovative stuff in the pipeline? Do they have stuff to keep the momentum going?
Apple's stock is currently down 35% from its all-time highs earlier this year, though the stock has made a bit of a run recently. Tim Cook's two-year anniversary as CEO of Apple is coming up on August 24th, and the company is expected to introduce new models of the iPhone and iPad this fall.

Thanks Scott!

Article Link: Apple Board of Directors 'Concerned' About the Speed of Innovation?

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Asking Tim Cook to innovate is like asking Steve Jobs to run Worldwide Operations.
Asking Tim Cook to innovate is like asking Dexter to not suck this final season.
Asking Tim Cook to innovate is like asking Breaking Bad to suck this final season.
Asking Tim Cook to innovate is like asking Twitter for 141 characters.
Asking Tim Cook to innovate is like asking Jony Ive to change the newsstand icon.
Asking Tim Cook to innovate is like asking OS X installation screen to print the correct estimated amount of time left.
Asking Tim Cook to innovate is like asking for Ocean's 14.
Asking Tim Cook to innovate is like asking for a bag of cookies where all cookies are intact.
Asking Tim Cook to innovate is like asking for Lay's to make Lay's Ketchup for USA.
Asking Tim Cook to innovate is like asking for NBC to do the Tonight Show right.
Asking Tim Cook to innovate is like asking that dude that's texting while crossing the street to walk faster.

Last edited:

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
We are all concerned. Stockholders, employees, and customers.

Slinkington

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2008
They mustn't rush. Innovation takes time. I feel like there's a bit of a lack of innovation in the technology industry as a whole right now, but if hey think about it long and hard they'll come up with something decent.

Jack97

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
I'm not surprised. For the past two years it's felt like we've been waiting and waiting for the next innovation... apple tv set, iwatch etc. I think we've been waiting too long...

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
"sources are telling the Fox Business Network, about the pace of innovation over at Apple."

I'm gonna call shenanigans on this rumour.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Innovation is not something that you just do. It takes time, and is better if it's "organic" than forced.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
World: "Apple please come up with something new, something great, something everyone will want"

Apple: "Want a watch, or an XBMC clone..uh...I mean Apple TV?"

Here come the arm chair CEOs.

(As a CEO currently sitting on an Armchair I hereby take that title :p)

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Bit overreacting I think. iOS 7 is coming out soon and mavericks, Haswell refresh, the new Mac Pro.

And Apple has low-hanging fruit they can pick, the Apple Television. And if they want to "innovate" they could bring out an iWatch.

They have a lot of products coming and they have avenues to create entirely new categories.

Just for myself I'd like to buy an Apple 4K Display if they can get 4K content distribution and perhaps use a bandwidth saving codec like h.265 to deliver acceptable 4K quality within the confines of residential internet access.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
iPhone 2007

iPad 2010

Where was all the screaming and gnashing of teeth between those years?

No one had any clue about the iPhone and iPad before release date so all of you haven't a clue of what Apple has up it's sleeve.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
I agree with the Board of Directors. There has been nothing *phenomenal* from Apple recently, at least not at the pace other smartphone and PC manufacturers have put out groundbreaking products.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I agree with the Board of Directors. There has been nothing *phenomenal* from Apple recently, at least not at the pace other smartphone and PC manufacturers have put out groundbreaking products.

What other tech companies are revolutionizing the world with their products?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Hmm...seems a bit convenient that the boards alleged concerns are basically parroting the media meme on Apple for the last year or so. Call me skeptical.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Honestly, what do we expect? This isn't just a problem for Apple. It's universal, and relating to all tech companies at the moment. But that doesn't mean innovation is dead and that it's up to any one company to revive it.

People expect too much.

There comes a point where there's a standstill for innovation until the rest of the world catches up. I think there are more important things to focus on than just revolutionary new products that aren't ready for their time.

claym24

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
Get rid of the TV, make a Mac mini sized projector that projects an HD image that I can take anywhere and put anywhere in my house. That comes with the WatchEspn App. There's your innovation.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012

Example please? :confused:

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010

because iPad and iPhone clones are so groundbreaking.

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
I feel bad for Tim Cook. People have these wacky expectations for him to push Apple to bring something new and innovative to the table every year because they think if Jobs was still in charge he would.

I think folks need to really look at how quickly new innovations came out of Apple under Steve Jobs. The iPod came out in 2001 and really only saw relatively minor spec bumps and some casing redesigns all the way up to 2007 when the iPod Touch came out. None of those spec bumps or case redesigns were considered all that innovated (at least not by me). So then the iPhone also came out in 2007 and that was innovative. Then what? The iPad in 2009 was probably the next big "innovative" thing.

Steve Jobs is being idealized a bit too much, I think. Give poor Tim a break, everyone.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Phil schiller, over to you again! Whats the view of your ass on this one?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Bit overreacting I think.

I completely agree with that but...

iOS 7 is coming out soon and mavericks

So? Hardly innovative, a much needed UI refresh and a fix for the bodged multi-display support in OS X.

Haswell refresh

Meh, we get CPU updates all the time, not really innovative or 'fresh'

the new Mac Pro.

This one I am happy about. I have no use for one anymore but am very excited to see the new design launch.

And Apple has low-hanging fruit they can pick, the Apple Television.

Still dont see this being a 'WOW' as its not going to be anywhere near as good as we'd all like - you cant get networks all over the globe to sign up to it, it wont happen. The Xbox One 'middle man' solution is about as good as its going to get.

And if they want to "innovate" they could bring out an iWatch.

Yay......Exciting....

They have a lot of products coming and they have avenues to create entirely new categories.

Sadly no compelling new products (that we know of) are in the pipeline. Nothing that will have a huge impact like the iPhone and iPad did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.