Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Aug 8, 2013, 09:18 PM   #1
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

My Own Website

I'm looking to build a website for myself. I don't know anything about it, so I'm looking to use some sort of service, like Intuit, etc. Any thoughts or suggestions about a good company that can do this for me?

As always, I appreciate any help you can offer.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 09:19 PM   #2
zioxide
macrumors 603

SquareSpace (http://www.squarespace.com/) is quite popular and I've heard good things about it.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 09:20 PM   #3
4JNA
macrumors 68000

which types of tubes?

all you've given us to go on is that you want it on the internet.

please be more specific, the world is watching and waiting to comment!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 09:20 PM   #4
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Is the goal to have a professional looking site or to learn how to create a professional looking website?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 09:24 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
Is the goal to have a professional looking site or to learn how to create a professional looking website?
The goal is to have a professional looking website. I want to advertise a service, have an email account, be able to accept credit card or paypal payments, etc.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 09:28 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

I mostly use WordPress. I've used web builders since about 1997, and it's sad that we still don't have a really good one. Squarespace is cool, but I don't know, I still find it a pain to work with. It's not as user friendly as they make it out to be.

I have a folder with the simplest WordPress setup. Just room for the sidebar, the loop, and space for the header and footer. Throw that in, then setup plugins, do the CSS around it, then bam. There's the website.

Last edited by Jessica Lares; Aug 9, 2013 at 03:22 AM. Reason: I found a typo 3 hours later...
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 04:24 AM   #7
waloshin
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I mostly use WordPress. I've used web builders since about 1997, and it's sad that we still don't have a really good one. Squarespace is cool, but I don't know, I still find it a pain to work with. It's not as user friendly as they make it out to be.

I have a folder with the simplest WordPress setup. Just room for the sidebar, the loop, and space for the header and footer. Throw that in, then setup plugins, do the CSS around it, then bam. There's the website.
Wordpress works very well.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 06:38 AM   #8
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by waloshin View Post
Wordpress works very well.
Yep.

And should you go that route. Don't do cheap hosting. The bigger hosts already have a bunch of spam protection in place, so you'll get spammed less. You can wake up to an inbox full of spam everyday with a cheap CPanel host.

There's plugins that deal with it of course, but you can get by with the basic Akismet at the right place.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:11 AM   #9
Valeri
macrumors newbie

There is a new engine for the website creation - Ophigen. Try it. It's free.

To get your website working you will need to download the software, install it on a web server and create a database.
All scripts and installation manuals are on the site (see link above).
Valeri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:35 PM   #10
Geeky Cub
macrumors newbie

UK based " Moonfruit " is a great online site builder you should check out.

I've been using UK based online site builder " Moonfruit " [moonfruit dot com] since 2001, and I find that it's still one of the best and affordable options for personal web site building, especially for beginners(or experienced folks) who are keen to take their site management into their own hands. Their sites have been Flash based but they are now moving into allowing folks to create HTML5 sites but that is still in Beta for the most part so there aren't quite as many templates and features as the flash version. But my understanding is that they are working to make the HTML5 version as feature rich as the Flash version, and if you've already created a Flash site you'll be able to convert it to HTML5 afterwards if you like. You can try for free for 14 days I believe and if you scout around online, you might be able to find a Promo code of two that could save you some dough off your year subscription; they charge in your choice of U.S., Pounds or Euros I believe. Anyway like anything else in life it takes a lil bit of applying yourself to learn how to use it, but they have a great support forum community and agents that can help you along the way. It has e-commerce tools/features using Paypal which I believe is what you are looking for. Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I'm looking to build a website for myself. I don't know anything about it, so I'm looking to use some sort of service, like Intuit, etc. Any thoughts or suggestions about a good company that can do this for me?

As always, I appreciate any help you can offer.
Geeky Cub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 06:38 AM   #11
shelle
macrumors newbie

First of all, you must decide what kind of website you want to create, because everything starts from that.. If you want to create just a simple blog then use blogger, wordpress blog, blog, weebly or whatever you want..

If you want something a little bit serious (much more serious blog, or website for small business) then you have much more work to do and a lot of learning. I strongly recommend to use free website building platforms like: Joomla or Wordpress..

If you want to build really serious website, for some huge business, where you gonna have a big DB, with customer services, forums running or constantly news updating then I recommend to engage some webdesign company to build requested website. You can use wordpress or joomla as well, but you gonna need some big changes and adjustments to achieve what you want.

And that's it, depending what you want you will need to chose your webhost as well as to chose what kind of SEO campaign you gonna use..

If you want serious then you will need serious resources, if you want small then you will need small and cheap resources..

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development