Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Aug 9, 2013, 04:35 AM   #1
ThePiratkapten
macrumors newbie

D Link dir 655 random "shutdowns", security?

Hi!

The router in my network is a D-Link Dir 655. When we renovated the room where it stood, we accidentally hit it on the top. Since then the wireless connection doesn't work randomly. No device can connect to the Internet or our local nas. I don't know if this is the case for wired clients as well, since we don't use them very often.

In a year it has happend three times. It helps to restart or wait for a couple of hours.

What I wonder is, during these "shutdowns" or whatever to call them, is the router entirely open to the Internet and/or wireless? What I mean is that it would be super-easy for anyone with basic knowledge to connect to my network from the Internet and/or wirelessly.

Maybe someone could spread some light over my situation? Thanks
ThePiratkapten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 08:08 PM   #2
alexrmc92
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePiratkapten View Post
Hi!

The router in my network is a D-Link Dir 655. When we renovated the room where it stood, we accidentally hit it on the top. Since then the wireless connection doesn't work randomly. No device can connect to the Internet or our local nas. I don't know if this is the case for wired clients as well, since we don't use them very often.

In a year it has happend three times. It helps to restart or wait for a couple of hours.

What I wonder is, during these "shutdowns" or whatever to call them, is the router entirely open to the Internet and/or wireless? What I mean is that it would be super-easy for anyone with basic knowledge to connect to my network from the Internet and/or wirelessly.

Usually this is not the case. In my experience, when a router shuts down randomly it is either from intermittent hardware failure or poorly written software. Usually the router's OS kernel panics or crashes and no networking will function.
alexrmc92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 09:49 PM   #3
mus0r
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePiratkapten View Post
Hi!

I just replaced one of those for the same reason. Got an Asus router and I am very happy with the features and price.
mus0r is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking