Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 9, 2013, 07:53 AM   #1
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Why White People Don't Like Black Movies

Another exciting read.

Quote:
A vast majority of White people don’t like Black movies because they lack the empathy necessary to identify with Black characters which in turn affects their ability to “suspend disbelief” and surrender to the narrative of a Black film.

What has been called the Racial Empathy Gap in various sociological studies conducted by researchers at the University of Milano-Bicocca and the University of Toronto Scarborough have revealed that,” The human brain fires differently when dealing with people outside of one’s own race.”

(1) This study found that the degree of mental activity when White participants watched non-White men performing a task was significantly lower than when they watched people of their own race performing the same task. “In other words people were less likely to mentally simulate the actions of other-race than same-race people.” (2)
Old Aug 9, 2013, 07:57 AM   #2
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

White people don't like black movies because Tyler Perry makes most of them.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:01 AM   #3
P-Worm
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Was just about to say this. There aren't a lot of black movies out there (in relation to white movies), but in my opinion, the ones that do exist are actually bad. Spike Lee has produced much better movies centered around race and the black community and many of his movies have captivated white audiences.

P-Worm
P-Worm is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Huntn
macrumors 604

Did the Universities only test white people? Are they prejudice?
Huntn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:13 AM   #5
niuniu
Banned

I don't doubt the conclusion of the study. I bet there's more to it than that though.

The study notes that medical personnel assume black people feel less pain than white people. I tend to be more sympathetic towards Asians - perhaps because I have some perception of them being physically smaller, hence, weaker.

(Which isn't true in the slightest, my partner is Asian and she's proven herself tougher than I am in a number of situations over the years).
niuniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Worm View Post
Was just about to say this. There aren't a lot of black movies out there (in relation to white movies), but in my opinion, the ones that do exist are actually bad. Spike Lee has produced much better movies centered around race and the black community and many of his movies have captivated white audiences.

P-Worm
This actually goes along with the article.

There are quite a bit more black movie makers than Tyler Perry and Spike Lee.

Lee Daniels is just the first and most recent person to come to mind.

But that attitude remind me of what Quentin Tarantino said in an interview about Django. It was something to the effect of, "Blacks have been trying to tell their stories for decades, and here I am a white guy and I get to do it in a matter of months.

I will look for the interview and post it.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:03 AM   #7
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

What's the difference between a "black movie" and a "movie"?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:04 AM   #8
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Oh my luuuuurd!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:08 AM   #9
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
Good question especially since there is no link to any article. I found this:

Quote:
To get to the short explanation of this loaded assertion I have to narrowly define what I mean by “Black” movies. Black movies are those films with a majority Black cast that situate Whites, if any, in peripheral or non-influential roles. No matter what the genre and no matter what the race of the director, these kinds of Black films, we are told, form a niche market within the broader domestic U.S. market and are but a tiny fraction of the Global film marketplace. Now that I’ve established this narrow definition we can explore a brief series of questions beginning with the assertion that is the title of this piece.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowand...e-black-movies
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:18 AM   #10
P-Worm
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post
This actually goes along with the article.

There are quite a bit more black movie makers than Tyler Perry and Spike Lee.

Lee Daniels is just the first and most recent person to come to mind.

But that attitude remind me of what Quentin Tarantino said in an interview about Django. It was something to the effect of, "Blacks have been trying to tell their stories for decades, and here I am a white guy and I get to do it in a matter of months.

I will look for the interview and post it.
There are obvious prejudices in Hollywood. Leads are white males almost nine times out of ten. My point was that movies that are targeted to specific groups of people tend to have low budgets and by the numbers scripts. So-called black movies aren't the only example. What about movies with a strong female role? What are these movies? They're 'chick flicks' and tend to be terrible. Or what about Stoner movies? Schlock films?

All of these kinds of movies that target a narrow audience are usually done as cash ins and it creates a lackluster product. There are the exceptions - Do The Right Thing and Thelma and Louise come to mind - but that's what the landscape looks like.

Another way to take this conversation is why foreign films have so little traction here in the States and abroad. The biggest foreign films that gained considerable notiriety here that I can think of off the top of my head are Life is Beautiful, Amelie and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (Though this was even in English!).

P-Worm
P-Worm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:26 AM   #11
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
In an ideal society, nothing.

Quote:
There are obvious prejudices in Hollywood. Leads are white males almost nine times out of ten. My point was that movies that are targeted to specific groups of people tend to have low budgets and by the numbers scripts. So-called black movies aren't the only example. What about movies with a strong female role? What are these movies? They're 'chick flicks' and tend to be terrible. Or what about Stoner movies? Schlock films?

All of these kinds of movies that target a narrow audience are usually done as cash ins and it creates a lackluster product. There are the exceptions - Do The Right Thing and Thelma and Louise come to mind - but that's what the landscape looks like.

Another way to take this conversation is why foreign films have so little traction here in the States and abroad. The biggest foreign films that gained considerable notiriety here that I can think of off the top of my head are Life is Beautiful, Amelie and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (Though this was even in English!).

P-Worm
True, and in many film spheres the issue of the female director/writer/actor is also being brought up. And now with the implosion of the Hollywood blockbuster, we may just see more films from a more diverse group of people telling a much more diverse story.

The international film industry is an interesting topic. The black hispanics in Brazil I hear are beginning to seek out films from other black groups across the pond. And the Chinese film industry is seeing a boom and a turn away from movies imported from the states.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:32 AM   #12
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
If every Tyler Perry film was swapped out for Jackie Brown, I would watch all of them.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:42 AM   #13
waa1futs
Banned

Can someone please list some examples of "black movies"?
waa1futs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:48 AM   #14
P-Worm
macrumors 68020

I'd like to make one more point that is probably not even considered in any of these spheres, but is a cultural peculiarity of the area I live in. That's Mormon movies or movies made for the Latter-day Saint audience. I'm LDS myself and so I have seen many of these movies. Before I get into them, let me give a bit of history.

The catalyst for the Mormon Movie explosion came from a director named Richard Dutcher. He produced a movie called God's Army that was about LDS missionaries in Los Angeles that were dealing with the day-to-day work while some of the missionaries struggled with their faith. Dutcher followed this up with Brigham City which is about what happens when a serial killer enters a small Mormon community and the close-knit community no longer feels it can trust each other. Later he released States of Grace which is about missionaries dealing with gang violence, infidelity, and the role of forgiveness. I find these three movies to be good films, and I don't believe it's because I am LDS, but because they deal with real issues and the director makes an effort to tell a story that will mean something.

After the release of God's Army, a mind numbing slew of awful Mormon Movies started hitting the market. I won't even be able to name them all because there are hundreds lining the shelves of certain Mormon stores like Deseret Book here in Utah. Some of these movies include The Singles Ward (starring the teenage girl from the internet infamous Troll 2), The RM, Baptists at our Barbecue, Down and Derby, and Mobsters and Mormons (this one is a real turd sandwich).

Bringing this back to the point, anyone that isn't LDS would watch these later movies and a study could be made that "Non members don't like Mormon Movies." The real crux is these later movies are terrible. The earlier Richard Dutcher movies, though no perfect, are good and can be appreciated as a movie instead of just a "Mormon Movie"

P-Worm

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by waa1futs View Post
Friday
Barbershop
Madea's Witness Protection
Madea's Family Reunion
Madea Goes to Jail
Madea Gets a Job

Oh Hell, just read up about Tyler Perry.

P-Worm
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:50 AM   #15
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waa1futs View Post
Although I think it's a spurious question, there does actually seem to be some different ideas about what a black movie is.

To me a black movie would be Menace 2 Society or Spike Lee's classic Do the Right thing. Black actors in a script about black culture.

Blockbuster funnily enough has a 'black' section. Full of movies that I don't consider to be 'black'.

http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/co...rican.fullList
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:51 AM   #16
63dot
macrumors 601

I am Asian and I love all movies. I don't really see a difference between "black" movies and movies in general. What happens when a movie with black characters goes huge at the box office (like Coming to America), then is it still considered a black movie?
63dot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:53 AM   #17
P-Worm
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
Blockbuster funnily enough has a 'black' section. Full of movies that I don't consider to be 'black'.

http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/co...rican.fullList
I would agree. These are not 'Black Movies,' but movies with black people in them.

By the way, Do The Right Thing, a Black Movie, is excellent. It just popped up on Netflix streaming and I'm planning to show it to my wife tonight. Would recommend.

P-Worm
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:53 AM   #18
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63dot View Post
I am Asian and I love all movies. I don't really see a difference between "black" movies and movies in general. What happens when a movie with black characters goes huge at the box office (like Coming to America), then is it still considered a black movie?
It's a successful black movie..
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:57 AM   #19
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
It should be . . . but then . . . . it shouldn't it should just be called a movie . . . . from the beginning I mean.

I joke, but that's really an issue that still persists. It's be one thing if the movie was from Liberia, and it was classified as an international, Liberian movie.

But being made in America, it really should just be called American Cinema.

Quote:
I would agree. These are not 'Black Movies,' but movies with black people in them.

By the way, Do The Right Thing, a Black Movie, is excellent. It just popped up on Netflix streaming and I'm planning to show it to my wife tonight. Would recommend.

P-Worm
Yes, and thanks for the heads up. Do the Right Thing is classic Spike, and I will be knocking back a few while watching that this weekend.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:02 AM   #20
P-Worm
macrumors 68020

Quote:
It should be . . . but then . . . . it shouldn't it should just be called a movie . . . . from the beginning I mean.

I joke, but that's really an issue that still persists. It's be one thing if the movie was from Liberia, and it was classified as an international, Liberian movie.

But being made in America, it really should just be called American Cinema.
I get your point, but movies seem to categorize themselves due to the audiences they are targeted at. Think Action Movies vs Chick Flicks. Just out of curiosity, what do you think of labeling Mormon Movies as I brought up earlier? If you saw some of these turds, I am guessing you would mentally put them in their own category (I do too). But is calling them Mormon Movies prejudicial?

P-Worm
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:06 AM   #21
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
I believe the OP's premise is that movies that feature a group of African Americans as the primary stars are "black movies". The last "black" movies I remember seeing are Bad Boys and Coming to America, both were hits as I recall and I enjoyed them. Death at a Funeral did not do it for me...

Last edited by Huntn; Aug 9, 2013 at 11:17 AM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:10 AM   #22
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
I get your point, but movies seem to categorize themselves due to the audiences they are targeted at. Think Action Movies vs Chick Flicks. Just out of curiosity, what do you think of labeling Mormon Movies as I brought up earlier? If you saw some of these turds, I am guessing you would mentally put them in their own category (I do too). But is calling them Mormon Movies prejudicial?

P-Worm
Good question. I may not call prejudicial, because I don't think labeling a movie as such is inherently so until there starts to be a party that wants to hinder such movies based on that label . . . . sorry, that may be a bit confusing.

I do agree about how a classification comes about via the audience it serves though, so I see no problem "certain" labels. I was going to mention that I do see black films, being films that tell stories of special interest to that particular audience. Movies that have a predominantly black cast and crew, but deal with topics that anyone can relate to (such as the ones listed in Blockbuster) are really just 'movies' plain and simple.

So a Mormon movie, would be a film that has a lot of topics that relate to Mormons. A film with a lot of Mormons in it, should just be a 'movie'

Man, I sound confused even to myself.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:20 AM   #23
P-Worm
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Good question. I may not call prejudicial, because I don't think labeling a movie as such is inherently so until there starts to be a party that wants to hinder such movies based on that label . . . . sorry, that may be a bit confusing.

I do agree about how a classification comes about via the audience it serves though, so I see no problem "certain" labels. I was going to mention that I do see black films, being films that tell stories of special interest to that particular audience. Movies that have a predominantly black cast and crew, but deal with topics that anyone can relate to (such as the ones listed in Blockbuster) are really just 'movies' plain and simple.

So a Mormon movie, would be a film that has a lot of topics that relate to Mormons. A film with a lot of Mormons in it, should just be a 'movie'

Man, I sound confused even to myself.
I think I see where you are coming from. The Dutcher movies that I mentioned earlier appeal to a broader audience and I think they would be characterized as a Movie About Mormons instead of a Movie For Mormons. I guess the way that I see it, is it just depends on if the movie is a cash-in for a certain audience or not, and a movie like Mobsters and Mormons definitely falls in that category.

A movie like Do The Right Thing is more along the lines of a "drama about racial tensions" than strictly a "Black Movie," but it gets lumped in with the rest just because the category is there. In the end, movies can be hard to categorize at times (I found that out while trying to sort my movie collection). Take a movie like Ghost. Romance? Thriller? Horror? Drama? Quasi Comedy?

P-Worm
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:25 AM   #24
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
A movie like Do The Right Thing is more along the lines of a "drama about racial tensions" than strictly a "Black Movie," but it gets lumped in with the rest just because the category is there. In the end, movies can be hard to categorize at times (I found that out while trying to sort my movie collection). Take a movie like Ghost. Romance? Thriller? Horror? Drama? Quasi Comedy?

P-Worm
Exactly!

Even when you look at Do the Right Thing, it talks about an American phenomenon in particular. In a film like Coming to America, you could replace the Eddie's character with some guy from a Czech country and the plot still works perfectly.

And yes, Ghost is all of those. Ghost Dad . . . the same thing.

I brought up the idea of a homogenous society in other thread. It's very unlikely that we'll have one in Baltimore, let alone the US or the world, but it would make classifying movies easier if we dropped such labels.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:29 AM   #25
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
So-called black movies aren't the only example. What about movies with a strong female role? What are these movies? They're 'chick flicks' and tend to be terrible.
I've seen some great Ashley Judd movies that I would in no way categorize as "chick flicks," and they were far from terrible. I also liked Geena Davis in "The Last Kiss Goodnight." Not a chick flick by any measure.

Quote:
What happens when a movie with black characters goes huge at the box office (like Coming to America), then is it still considered a black movie?
That's a good question. I thought that was a very good movie. Same with "Harlem Nights."

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues