Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:09 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Tim Cook and Other Tech Executives Meet with President Obama to Discuss Government Surveillance

In June, reports surfaced of a top secret surveillance program named PRISM, which according to leaked presentation slides was claimed to allow the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) direct access to user data on servers across a wide spectrum of Internet companies, including Apple. Now, Politico is reporting that a meeting between President Barack Obama and technology executives including Apple CEO Tim Cook took place earlier this week to discuss the subject of government surveillance. The meeting was reportedly confidential and was the second meeting this week in which top government officials held discussions with representatives from the technology industry to examine mainstream privacy issues.

Quote:
President Barack Obama hosted Apple CEO Tim Cook, AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson, Google computer scientist Vint Cerf and other tech executives and civil liberties leaders on Thursday for a closed-door meeting about government surveillance, sources tell POLITICO.

The session, which Obama attended himself, followed a similar gathering earlier this week between top administration officials, tech-industry lobbyists and leading privacy hawks, the sources said. Those earlier, off-the-record discussions centered on the controversy surrounding the NSA as well as commercial privacy issues such as online tracking of consumers.
Earlier this year, a conservative activist and three others sued Apple among other companies and the U.S. government over alleged privacy violations resulting from supposed participation in the NSA's PRISM intelligence program.

After the lawsuit, Apple issued a "Commitment to Customer Privacy" statement addressing the issue, implying that no agency has had direct access to customer data and that each request for data by law enforcement is strictly evaluated. And last month, Apple signed on to an alliance of dozens of technology companies asking for greater transparency with regard to the NSA's surveillance program.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the comment thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All MacRumors forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook and Other Tech Executives Meet with President Obama to Discuss Government Surveillance
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

In a perfect world all our data would be private. Trouble is, we don't live in a perfect world.
Jsameds is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:17 AM   #3
niuniu
Banned

So much for transparency.

Confidence -1
niuniu is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Georgij
macrumors regular

Release the conspiracy theorists!
Georgij is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Battlefield Fan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
Don't buckle, Tim! Tell them they can't have it!
Agreed! The government has to stay out of our business. I'm tired of the government not being transparent like they claimed they were going to be. I work with cloud services for a living so every time news comes out about the government ramming their way into different clouds it makes it harder to sell to clients because it scares them away.
Battlefield Fan is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:19 AM   #6
alvindarkness
macrumors regular

I really dont like this whole meeting behind closed doors, and confidential discussions stuff. When it is the rest of us that will reap the rammifications.

Last edited by alvindarkness; Aug 9, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
alvindarkness is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:19 AM   #7
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgij View Post
We don't need them anymore. We have 1000's of leaked NSA documents being released slowly to get our facts from.
niuniu is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:21 AM   #8
shartypants
macrumors 6502a

Why would the NSA agree to transparency?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:24 AM   #9
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

How can Apple really resist the government and the wealthy interests who pull the strings of government? The United States is a police state now. Maybe it always has been but recently the hostility and fear has been escalated.
ValSalva is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:25 AM   #10
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
In a perfect world all our data would be private. Trouble is, we don't live in a perfect world.
Yeah, damn humans ruin everything... (Both sarcasm and a sad fact)
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:26 AM   #11
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
We don't need them anymore. We have 1000's of leaked NSA documents being released slowly to get our facts from.
Release the conspiracy fact-ists!
Jsameds is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:27 AM   #12
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

Gov't released the ban on iPhones and iPads earlier... they scratch Apple's back, Apple bends over and gives them our data. Kind of stupid how the world is the way it is now with all this surveillance.
BenTrovato is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:28 AM   #13
pancakedrawer
macrumors regular

It's disappointing to see our supposedly democratic nations resisting against the internet and all the freedoms it offers.
pancakedrawer is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:29 AM   #14
vladi
macrumors regular

... and to collect their buddy government incentives.
vladi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:30 AM   #15
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

I still don't understand why some people are so concerned. There are millions of people in America. If you're not doing anything illegal or harmful, why are you so worked up about "being watched"?

You know how many secrets and technology the government must have? You'll never know.

I'm not saying to not care about it, but there's NOTHING you can do.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:31 AM   #16
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksole View Post
I still don't understand why some people are so concerned. There are millions of people in America. If you're not doing anything illegal or harmful, why are you so worked up about "being watched"?

You know how many secrets and technology the government must have? You'll never know.

Better to voice discontent than bend-over and take it in the ass.
niuniu is offline   40 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:35 AM   #17
reckless2k2
macrumors 6502

I'm really disappointed to hear politicians on both sides justify this over-reach by the Government. The erosion of our Constitution continues and that pesky 4th Amendment doesn't seem to matter much anymore.

Sad that those that are supposed to defend it are contributing to its demise.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:36 AM   #18
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a

Bring the SOB a copy of the constitution and remind him of his requirements to uphold and protect citizens rights.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:37 AM   #19
reckless2k2
macrumors 6502

Quote:

The true danger is one that doesn't know their rights.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:39 AM   #20
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
Agreed! The government has to stay out of our business. I'm tired of the government not being transparent like they claimed they were going to be. I work with cloud services for a living so every time news comes out about the government ramming their way into different clouds it makes it harder to sell to clients because it scares them away.
They have this mindset that they have to do something. This is also fueled by too many people looking to the government to solve all problems. They are tasked with our protection, but sometimes they need to look us in the eye and tell us, we can only do so much, you are a free people and we are not going to trample your rights to go after every possible terrorist. This means some will succeed in causing harm to our cities or citizens and you will just have to accept that, but we will not trample your freedom for your security. The American people also have to accept that and not give the govt a blank check to rifle through our lives on this hunt for ultimate security.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:42 AM   #21
hlfway2anywhere
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Innocent people are being detained for things they say on the internet that have been taken out of context. Some of us are tired of being complacent and the government has gotten out of control.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeremy...b_3461917.html
hlfway2anywhere is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:43 AM   #22
cyclotron451
macrumors regular

I'm supposed to be beta-testing "Keychain in iCloud"

instead, I've de-activated much of the iCloud functionality in the Apple test systems I'm testing. I'm not joking/playing about with this - my job requires that I take this step. Personally I agree that the US economy might have lost $35Billion in potential ICT Cloud provisions due to 'foreigners' pulling out of US hosting plans. It looks a bit like blowback to me?
cyclotron451 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:46 AM   #23
Mr Fusion
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakedrawer View Post
It's disappointing to see our supposedly democratic nations resisting against the internet and all the freedoms it offers.
Well put... "supposedly democratic."

Corporations run countries now. Us regular citizens only get a "choice" between several puppets hand-picked by big business and billionaires. Perhaps there never was a real choice even in the past, but it's crystal clear there isn't one now, nor ever will be again.

Why? Because it would take good people to change things. And good people would never get near the soul-stripping, personal-life-intruding political campaign machine that's in place today.

I think the tipping point is the economy. Economies are games, and right now there's still enough people willing to play to keep things in order. Once enough people wake up and realize they can't play anymore or ever had a chance, well... Game over.
Mr Fusion is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:47 AM   #24
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgij View Post
The problem is they are confused now that they are fact-ists. Oops.

The Lavabit shut down has to be of real concern for Apple.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/08/...blames-us-govt

Other "cloud providers" are following suit.

http://it.slashdot.org/story/13/08/0...e-mail-service

Those are Slashdot links.

Rocketman

Last edited by Rocketman; Aug 9, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
Rocketman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:49 AM   #25
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless2k2 View Post
The true danger is one that doesn't know their rights.
Do you know yours? Last I checked, there's millions of laws out there just in the US. Some of which contradict each other, don't apply to us, etc. Can you honestly tell me you know all of them and abide by them?

Did you know in some states you can't cross a goat across the street?
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues