Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:53 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Rise Alarm Clock' for iOS Named Apple's Free App of the Week

Rise, an alarm clock app optimized for both the iPhone and iPad, has been named Apple's App of the Week and can now be downloaded for free. The app distinguishes itself from the stock Clock app found on iOS in that it allows for the user to set alarms with dragging gestures and also features the ability to set alarms with individual audio from a device's library or an iTunes playlist.

The app also features interchangeable themes for its user interface and integration with the "Do Not Disturb" feature in iOS. Previously, the app made Apple's "Featured Apps" list, and was the best seller in the Utilities category in the App Store.

Quote:
Rise is a delightfully simple and unique alarm clock, for your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. With its refreshing and clever way to set time, Rise is one of the simplest alarm clocks you'll ever use.
Rise is a universal app regularly priced at $1.99 that can be downloaded from the App Store for free until next Thursday. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Rise Alarm Clock' for iOS Named Apple's Free App of the Week
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:55 AM   #2
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
I've got a 'Rise Alarm Clock' of my own. Like this app, it's free -- unfortunately you can't set the times it'll go off.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:59 AM   #3
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
I've got a 'Rise Alarm Clock' of my own. Like this app, it's free -- unfortunately you can't set the times it'll go off.
Well that took me two reads to get that.

I downloaded it. It's nice but I never saw the need for a different alarm app. I may use it just for kicks though.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 09:06 AM   #4
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

I really like the app. I bought it a few months ago and it's really easy to use. The sounds are much better than the ones in the Clock app.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 09:08 AM   #5
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
Well that took me two reads to get that.

I downloaded it. It's nice but I never saw the need for a different alarm app. I may use it just for kicks though.
And nothing beats simply telling SIRI to set my alarm for 8AM.
JackieInCo is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Gymgenius
macrumors regular

You can set the stock alarm to any song in your music library.
Gymgenius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 09:22 AM   #7
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

I got Solar a few weeks back...looking at it and Clear and found Rise.

I almost purchased it but held off...and now I got it free (last night) I set the Alarm and you should be able to simply shake it or swipe it to turn off but I had to unlock it and then do that.

still a nice crescendo Alarm!
BJMRamage is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 09:32 AM   #8
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

The problem with these alarms is you need them to be focused and on... which is stupid - hopefully this is something that Apple are sorting out in ios7
prowlmedia is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 09:34 AM   #9
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Rise looks great, but the reviews are sprinkled with several people saying the alarm doesn't go off consistently. I also watched a review on the app on TWiT's iPad Today show just yesterday and during the live review, the app became unresponsive while the reviewer was trying to interact with it.

I think I'll pass on this app. The stock alarm clock works just fine.
avanpelt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 09:49 AM   #10
Sardonick007
macrumors regular

Because FREE, that's why.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 09:54 AM   #11
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowlmedia View Post
The problem with these alarms is you need them to be focused and on... which is stupid - hopefully this is something that Apple are sorting out in ios7
What do you mean?
GoCubsGo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:00 AM   #12
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I've got that one too.It's made of wood.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:02 AM   #13
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
What do you mean?
The app has to be open and running. It can't be minimized since the phone/iPad doesn't have true multitasking. If you minimize that app and open something else, it won't work.
JackieInCo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:11 AM   #14
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Lizardo View Post
I've got that one too.It's made of wood.
I'm sorry to hear that. My Grandfather developed a similar problem after getting wounded in 'Nam.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:28 AM   #15
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Looks really slick, I wish they had it for android too
jonnysods is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:32 AM   #16
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The app distinguishes itself from the stock Clock app found on iOS in that it allows for the user to set alarms with dragging gestures and also features the ability to set alarms with individual audio from a device’s library or an iTunes playlist.
Not sure if I'm parsing the above sentence correctly, but the stock Apple Clock has a "Pick a Song" feature for alarms.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:33 AM   #17
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieInCo View Post
The app has to be open and running. It can't be minimized since the phone/iPad doesn't have true multitasking. If you minimize that app and open something else, it won't work.
It does for me. What you on about?
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:48 AM   #18
PatrickCocoa
macrumors 6502a

Stalker . . .

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilamite View Post
It does for me. What you on about?
JackieInCo is a half Nexus / half Apple person. Check out his/her posting history - doesn't appear to be an astroturfer, but keeps mentioning a "Nexus 7", whatever that is. Anyway, it's possible the "doesn't have true multitasking" is a meme that's popular over in Nexus-land, and so that may explain his/her incorrect view of iOS multitasking in general, and of Rise's capabilities in particular.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:53 AM   #19
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickCocoa View Post
JackieInCo is a half Nexus / half Apple person. Check out his/her posting history - doesn't appear to be an astroturfer, but keeps mentioning a "Nexus 7", whatever that is. Anyway, it's possible the "doesn't have true multitasking" is a meme that's popular over in Nexus-land, and so that may explain his/her incorrect view of iOS multitasking in general, and of Rise's capabilities in particular.
Try it. If I set the app on my iPad and then close it, the app will not work when it is time for the alarm to go off. The app has to be open and running. The only apps that can run in the background are Apples built in apps.

----------

Read the reviews here and you will see what I am talking about

http://www.imore.com/rise-alarm-cloc...nd-ipad-review

If you forget to open the app before bed and leave it open, it won't wake you up.
JackieInCo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:55 AM   #20
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
You know what? You're right.

I set the alarm and did exactly what I do every night; turned on DND and turned it on vibrate.

The alarm went off but it was silent. I had 3 notifications on screen saying I needed to rise and shine, no tones. That does me no good.

Next, turned off DND and left it on vibrate. Alarm went off, no sound & not vibrate, notifications okay, and again, useless.

Finally, left DND off, left the sound on. Nothing. Just an on-screen notification.

This app is useless as long as it requires the phone to be unlocked (on) and not set to DND.

I deleted it.
GoCubsGo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:56 AM   #21
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

One link to "Rise" which goes to AppShopper, then a "direct link" which goes to iTunes...

Here is the app's website if you're curious: http://www.simplebots.co/
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:57 AM   #22
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You know what? You're right.

I set the alarm and did exactly what I do every night; turned on DND and turned it on vibrate.

The alarm went off but it was silent. I had 3 notifications on screen saying I needed to rise and shine, no tones. That does me no good.

Next, turned off DND and left it on vibrate. Alarm went off, no sound & not vibrate, notifications okay, and again, useless.

Finally, left DND off, left the sound on. Nothing. Just an on-screen notification.

This app is useless as long as it requires the phone to be unlocked (on) and not set to DND.

I deleted it.
Thank you for backing me up by trying it. There will be many many people upset who relied on this app to wake them up and it will fail because they forget to open it and leave it running over night.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:58 AM   #23
Brian Buttplug
macrumors member

Quote:
And nothing beats simply telling SIRI to set my alarm for 8AM.
Hah! Nothing beats getting my wifes elbow in the ribs at 6AM while she yell:

Get up, you lazy bum!

-Brian
Brian Buttplug is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:07 AM   #24
JackieInCo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickCocoa View Post
I've used iPhones since the original in 2007. This has always been a problem with iPhones/iPads because of Apples restrictions and what they like to call "multitasking" but really isn't. When apps are minimized such as what happens when you open another app, the previous app no longer runs and music streaming apps don not count in this. So this means that if you have an alarm set using Rise, and go on doing other things with your iPhone/iPad and the go to sleep without opening the Rise app and leaving it running, it won't wake you up in the morning. Also, Do Not Disturb will prevent it from sounding off as well. You will have to turn off Do Not Disturb and put up with all the phones sounds during the night.

That's Apples restrictions for you.

A Nexus 7 is a tablet running Android OS.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:35 AM   #25
Supa_Fly
macrumors 68030

Send a message via MSN to Supa_Fly
Quote:
LMAO! Well done.

On a serious note ... I think this sort of app is something that ads the uniqueness to the platform and should be built into iOS! I wish Apple would take not of such applications, buy out the company's ... handsomely and incorporate them into the OS.

PS: does iO7 allow you to collapse mail sub-folders/folders yet? At the moment I'm not sure if any current/modern smartphone OS does.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion