Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hokinabru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
On the new 2013 Haswell macbook air, Im having this weird issue where the external display only works on the thunderbolt cinema display. If you use a HDMI or DVI adapter to mini display port, nothing happens.

The screen will flash blue but then nothing will happen on the external display.

This started happening after my USB mouse started getting laggy and twitchy so i restarted my macbook, thats when all hell broke loose.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I am using a really old (2006?) 23" Apple Cinema Display on my brand new 11" MBA. It is connected via a miniDisplayPort to DVI adapter and works perfectly - just like it did on my old 2011 MBA.

I also have a Seagate Thunderbolt dock that accepts their Desktop Backup Plus drives. The monitor also works fine when I plug it into the dock's pass-thru port.

Now I did have to wiggle the connector a bit on the dock to get it to work with the external display. But I assume that's a design issue on Seagate's part, the ports are recessed below the surface of the dock for some reason, so the plug doesn't go in as far as I'd like.

hokinabru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
Im thinking its definitely an issue on my laptop. I reisntalled the OS to no avail.

The same external display + dongle work on my brothers 2012 macbook air, however, do not work on mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.