Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Besides shattering, of course.
Can the AF function from the camera malfunction ? Can the battery get loose ? What else ?
Just curios....

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
your mileage may vary.

i've drop my iphone 4 several times from the waist and knee, and amazingly the screen hasn't shattered (maybe thats got to do with the screen proctector or maybe i'm just lucky), but the stainless steel band bent in many points.
but other than that all is functioning well.

but i've used iphone 5 now, and never drop it.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I will put you over my knee and smack your bottom

You naughty little boy

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Can the AF function from the camera malfunction ? Can the battery get loose ? What else ?
Just curios....

I've wondered this before too.

Really it depends on the severity of the drop. There could be such a big hit that internals could be loosened. I'd imagine (on the iPhone 5 at least) you could knock that battery loose too (it's held in w/ a bit of adhesive).

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Goodness. The list is endless as to what can happen. It depends on how high a fall and on what and at what angle. Were you standing still or moving also plays a part.

1. Screen shatter, and need of a replacement

2. Internal damage may happen. Loose components

3. Camera damage

4. Case damage that may not be too much of an issue except cosmetic.

The question is confusing. Anything can happen to it, and that is easy for anyone to understand

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
What can happen when you drop a naked iPhone?

1. You could hurt your toe.
2. You might dent the floor.
3. You might wake a sleeping person or pet.
4. Someone might be startled.
5. With a clock, you can measure the Earth's gravitational constant.
6. You can identify local vertical.
7. You can test the doppler effect.

That's it. I'm spent.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Anything can happen to the phone really, ranging from practically nothing (noticeable) to something major like the phone completely breaking into pieces, for example.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Try it and tell us.

Is this why there are kids on YouTube running into fences because they just curious?

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I don't know.

But my friend dropped his naked Galaxy S4 and it burst into flames, killing and injuring over 14 people. This may or may not have happened.

Seriously though, my buddy did drop his, and it shattered faster than you could say "cheap plastic backing".

Moral of the story: DON'T DROP NAKED ELECTRONICS

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
What can happen?

Well, according to chaos theory, dropping your phone could cause a slight change in air pressure. Then this could cause slightly more clouds to form. From here, the clouds begin to move in an eastern direction. Gradually, due to your phone being dropped, they pick up speed, transforming into a giant tornado. Then, this tornado rips through a small village on a tropical island. It wipes out their supply of coconuts, which means that they have no economic power. The inhabitants then all turn into animalistic creatures, fighting for every scrap of food. They then begin to sail to other islands, fighting for every piece of food there. This then spreads, eventually turning the whole world into a frenzy of food-craving animals. No iPhones are left: merely barren landscapes and the odd fight for an apple core (oh, the irony!).

Way to go. You just de-evolved humanity with a drop of your phone.

The lesson here is: don't drop your damned iPhone.

;) :p

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
As you ca see, almost nobody has taken your question seriously. Why? Well, it's like asking what can happen to a person who gets in a car accident, or three, or ten. Well, that person can have nothing happen to them, or they can break some bones, tear some ligaments, puncture some vital organs, or even die. I mean, it's tough to take your question seriously, right?

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
omg-i-dropped-the-iphone1.gif

never use an iPhone naked

BMNEUR

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2013
Louisville
I wasn't referring to water damage.
I'm talkin about what damage can 2 or 3 serious drops on concrete or tile do to the iPhone.

I've dropped mine on the a tile floor over concrete as well as on a sidewalk from about chest/neck level. All I have are 3 little dings on the top right of my phone which isn't really a gripe for me, I've had worse. However, your luck may vary.

TheProFTW

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
Washington, DC
Just curios....

Depending on how hard, the battery might explode, giving enough radiation for you to become a mix of superman, batman and Spiderman.

Seriously, if you throw it hard enough, the screen *could* come out, exposing the insides of the phone, and maybe causing some damage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.