Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in May, Korean site ETNews.com reported that Apple was looking at the possibility of launching a 12.9-inch iPad in early 2014 as a larger sibling to the original 9.7-inch iPad and the 7.9-inch iPad mini. The rumor, which included a claim that the device would be called the "iPad Maxi", was quickly brushed aside as a likely inaccurate claim, but late last month The Wall Street Journal brought fresh attention to the rumor with its own claims about Apple testing an iPad with a display "slightly less than 13 inches diagonally".

With the rumors sparking interest in what Apple might be able to do with a significantly larger iPad display, we commissioned CiccareseDesign to create renderings of what such a device might look like compared to the current iPad mini and iPad models, as well as the rumored fifth-generation iPad, which has been claimed to be adopting some of the iPad mini's styling with narrower side bezels.

12.9-inch iPad (left) with fourth-generation iPad (right) and iPad mini (bottom)
[Click for larger]

Increasing the diagonal measurement of the iPad's display from 9.7 inches to 12.9 inches while maintaining the same 4:3 aspect ratio yields a substantial increase in display area of about 40%, leading us to believe that Apple will not simply scale up the existing iPad resolution to the larger screen size. Doing so would reduce pixel density from the 132 pixels per inch (ppi) or 264 ppi Retina on the current iPad to approximately 99 ppi (198 ppi Retina), making icons and other interface elements extremely large.

If Apple were, however, to maintain the same 132/264 ppi of the current 9.7-inch iPad, this 12.9-inch iPad could conveniently carry an increased resolution of approximately 1366 x 1024 (2712 x 2048 Retina), matching the "HD" display standard in width and exceeding it in height.

12.9-inch iPad (left) with rumored fifth-generation iPad (right) and iPad mini (bottom)
[Click for larger]

Speculating that Apple could take this approach with a larger iPad, even though it would necessitate additional work by developers to support the new resolution, we have rendered our 12.9-inch iPad at this higher resolution that maintains the pixel density of the current iPad. Doing so would allow the home screen to display at least one additional row of app icons with some increased spacing, and perhaps even more if spacing were reduced slightly.

Taking things even further, if Apple were to approach the pixel density of the iPad mini's display on this larger iPad, it could offer an even higher resolution of 1600 x 1200 (3200 x 2400 Retina) or 1680 x 1260 (3360 x 2520 Retina) on a display offering twice the area of the iPad mini's display.

12.9-inch iPad (left) with 13-inch MacBook Air (right)
[Click for larger]

For comparison purposes, we've also rendered this 12.9-inch iPad next to a 13-inch MacBook Air, illustrating how the two devices with nearly identical screen sizes would compare physically. With a higher resolution than the current full-size iPad, the 12.9-inch iPad could be positioned as an even more feasible option to Apple's Mac notebooks for some users.

Apple is expected to launch the fifth-generation iPad within in the September-October timeframe, with an updated iPad mini reportedly carrying a Retina display and following relatively shortly thereafter. The original Korean report suggested that Apple's 12.9-inch iPad could launch early next year, but The Wall Street Journal's more recent report did not include a timeframe and in fact simply noted that Apple has been testing prototypes of the device and that it may ultimately never make it to market.

Article Link: Size Comparison of a 12.9-Inch iPad with Smaller iPad Models and 13-Inch MacBook Air

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
This is indeed a size comparison.

I just don't see a 12.9 inch iPad happening.

Last edited:

logantyler

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013
To me, a 12.9-Inch screen would be uncomfortable. I guess they are trying to appeal to the "bigger better" crowd.

StellarZ

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
AZ
That seems a little too big to be very portable and is probably going to be difficult to use even with two hands. Not to mention holding it up for long periods will get tiring. Must have a very particular use for something like this IMO.

andrew12

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
Please do it...

for musicians, artists, designers, medical, architects, students, etc., etc., etc.
Imagine PDF, CAD. Nice!!!
Please Tim, please Sir Jony...

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
I don't see the larger one taking on in large numbers. Maybe more for laptop users.

I can't wait until this screen size war is over. I think Jobs was right about the correct sizes for devices. In a few years many will see this.

Making a device larger doesn't make it a better or more innovating device.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
Not a handheld device. Toooooooo biiiiig...... Tooo stooooopid!
I just don't see it happening.

The Mini was different, there was a market and pent up demand.
I haven't once seen/heard anyone say, "I just need my tablet as big as a laptop."

Size does matter...

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Instead of keeping the 4:3 aspect I imagine Apple would do as they did when going from 3.5" to 4.0" on the iPhone — switch to a "nearly 16:9" aspect ratio in the process. —Keep the width in pixels but make the length longer.

The way our family is using our iPad, I'd buy us a larger iPad if I could. —Playing games together, couch-browsing, watching movies and playing games in our car — that's what we use the iPad for. For true portability we use our iPhones. A bigger screen would make sense for us.

Personally, I think even a 22" iPad could be awesome (executed right, the "Microsoft surface table"-idea could be both useful and a lot of fun).

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Apple better include an app that uses the gyroscope to calculate how many calories you burn while using that beast.

Last edited:

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
If Apple is dumb enough to do this, at least be smart enough to not put a 4:3 display on a 13" tablet.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
I think that it looks pretty good, actually. But, how many people would buy this? It would be like the 17" MacBook Pro of the iPad lineup.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
... Ok, I kind of want a giant iPad, as I use the iPad and a pressure sensitive stylus for painting, and this monster iPad looks like a dream device for that.

Mmmm.. Giant iPad.

Sadly I doubt this is really in the works but damn I hope it is. Probably more niche than the mini or usual size, but will fit a load of people's usage a lot better.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I am certain there is a sizable market (couple million) for a larger iPad, but will have better uses for fixed installations and special presentations then as a portable unit.
If this has an attach point on rear for an arm, it can be an awesome fixed-station kiosk, think mini-iMac.

People also bought the giant 17" MacBook, so big is loved

PS, remember the iPad mini?? The nay-sayer force was very strong, but in the end the mini prevailed and sold millions (I think it is some 1/3 of all iPad sales).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.