Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Aug 9, 2013, 06:32 PM   #1
addictive
macrumors member

One Red Paperclip - My first iPad

One red paperclip type **** just happened to me.

I took a family member's completely broken two year old iPad which was out of warranty to the Apple store today.

I told them I wanted to pay whatever it cost to fix it.

Instead they just gave me a brand new iPad. Totally one red paperclip.

Totally surprised and over the moon that I was given a brand new product. The family member now has a ipad mini so I was free to do with the ipad 2 what i liked. I thought I could get some use out of it but realised with a faulty screen (not cracked at all, just sensitivity gone haywire making it totally non functioning) I would have to pay for repairs.

The Apple Genius told me consumer laws across the European Union provide statutory warranty rights in addition to the coverage you receive from the Apple One-Year Limited Warranty. In short as the product was 22 months old it fell into the 2 years claim period from date of delivery.

Surprised and very happy to be using my first ipad.
addictive is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 06:34 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I'm often surprised that people in the EU aren't aware of additional warranties they have. Great for you. Not quite one red paper clip, but cool all the same.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 07:17 PM   #3
addictive
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
I'm often surprised that people in the EU aren't aware of additional warranties they have. Great for you. Not quite one red paper clip, but cool all the same.
Yeah, its not quite One Red Paperclip but considering this morning i had nothing and tonight i have an ipad its not bad.

I was totally surprised about the two year warranty within the EU, does that make Apple Care worth a lot less or less necessary?
addictive is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:22 PM   #4
puma1552
macrumors 68030

Never in my life have I heard the term "One Red Paperclip".
puma1552 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:00 AM   #5
mcdj
macrumors 603

More like one gray loophole.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:14 AM   #6
Macman45
macrumors G5

My dealings with Apple in the UK have been nothing but positive. On the two occasions I have had to have products repaired or replaced, I've just phoned my Apple Guru who although based back home in the States deals only with customers in Europe. I had a brand new iPhone five delivered next day when it stopped working properly, and my fiancée had her trackpad replaced on my old ( now her) MBA in under two hours, free of charge. I know that some have had less than happy outcomes, but I can only report that Apple have one of the best CS systems around today.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:14 AM   #7
Soordhin
macrumors member

Interesting, according to EU law there is a shift after six months in the general warranty. During the first six months it is assumed that the device was faulty at delivery, if anything happens after six months the consumer has to prove that the device was faulty at delivery, a task that is often nearly impossible. There might be more consumer friendly local laws additionally to that depending on country, but according to EU law there was no need to replace that device, in that case a very nice surprise indeed.
Soordhin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:08 PM   #8
joec1101
macrumors 6502

WTF is "one red paperclip"?
joec1101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 06:53 AM   #9
bevsb2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec1101 View Post
WTF is "one red paperclip"?
The website One red paperclip was created by Kyle MacDonald, a Canadian blogger who bartered his way from a single red paperclip to a house in a series of online trades over the course of a year.[1] MacDonald was inspired by the childhood game Bigger, Better, and the site received a considerable amount of notice for tracking the transactions. "A lot of people have been asking how I've stirred up so much publicity around the project, and my simple answer is: 'I have no idea'", he told the BBC.[2]

See Wikipedia
bevsb2 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:50 PM   #10
cambookpro
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soordhin View Post
Interesting, according to EU law there is a shift after six months in the general warranty. During the first six months it is assumed that the device was faulty at delivery, if anything happens after six months the consumer has to prove that the device was faulty at delivery, a task that is often nearly impossible. There might be more consumer friendly local laws additionally to that depending on country, but according to EU law there was no need to replace that device, in that case a very nice surprise indeed.
Apple seem to be very lax about this - definitely not out of the blue or unusual. My display was replaced after almost two years. Also, you can claim up to 6 years after the purchase date, however it has to last for a reasonable amount of time for the price - eg you can't claim 6 years after you bought a £20 microwave.

One of the perks of being in the EU! AppleCare is a total waste of money here.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 03:17 PM   #11
mtneer
macrumors 6502a

Well, aren't the purchase prices on Apple products higher in the EU? There was a post here yesterday about a Danish guy paying ~$600 for an iPad Mini 32GB. I guess, there is no free lunch!
mtneer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad