Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Aug 9, 2013, 07:02 PM   #1
estockme
macrumors regular

Recovering data from a failing hard drive- help!

So my roommate's imac has officially taken a crap and I'm trying to fix it for him. He has a nice OWS external hard drive that he purchased to use as a time machine, but it appears he hasn't turned it on since 2010... my stuff is safe and backed up, in fact i had been wanting to do a reinstall, but I need to copy the corrupted hard drive to his external before I do the reinstall.

So here:

I need a bootable Usb (preferably) or cd that will bring up some disk utilities that will let me do that. from there i am guessing i can recover the files using some linux utility i used in the past. I'm downloading systemrescuecd right now and having trouble getting it onto a bootable usb, but does anyone have any more in-depth tips?

Essentially on the main Mac HD volume all choices to repair or verify are greyed out. I can't drag it into the box to back up/copy as an image to another disk (empty time machine space nor a new partition i split off the time machine). From searches the input/output error seems to be a signal that the hard disk is failing.
estockme is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion