Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:56 AM   #1
saintforlife
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Anybody still have AT&T unlimited data? Can you get it back, if you gave it up?

I had unlimited with my first iPhone and gave it up in 2009 to save $5 per month for 2GB vs unlimited. Needless to say I am kicking myself for it now. :banghead: At that time I didn't realize the value of unlimited as I was barely crossing 250MB per month. Now I struggle to stay under 2GB every month. FML. Is there any way to get unlimited data back? Has anyone had success doing it with AT&T? What reason could one give for asking for that feature back?
__________________
Google makes more money as more people have access to the internet. Amazon makes more money as more people shop on the internet.
saintforlife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 04:00 AM   #2
617aircav
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
No way to get it back since its no longer offered.
617aircav is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 04:10 AM   #3
gr8tfly
macrumors 603
 
gr8tfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ~119W 34N
Still have it on one of our phones, grandfathered from the original iPhone. Gave mine up when I needed tethering.

No way to get it back, once it's gone.
__________________
Macs from 1984 to 15" Retina MBP 768GB SSD 16GB RAM, from Newton to iPhone 5 S⃣ , iPods, and tv (3). 128GB Wifi iPad Air
gr8tfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 05:48 AM   #4
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
My wife and I both have unlimited and hope to never give it up. I've read people buying it from others on EBay but don't know if its still being done successfully.
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 09:47 AM   #5
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Can't get it back. They clearly tell you its gone once you switch off.
AutoUnion39 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:28 AM   #6
barkomatic
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Manhattan
The only thing you can do is switch to a carrier that still offers unlimited. Depending on the area, they may have LTE. I suspect that once Sprint and T-mobile have built out there LTE networks, their unlimited plans will suddenly be limited in some way though.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:30 AM   #7
afireintonto
macrumors 6502a
 
afireintonto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland
Send a message via AIM to afireintonto
i still have my att unlimited plan. no intentions of giving it up hah
__________________
Macbook Air 13":iPad 2:iPhone 5:tv
afireintonto is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:36 AM   #8
TWD98j
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I am still under my grandfathered unlimited data plan from when I got the original iPhone back in Feb 2008.

Now I sit on my nearly 2 year old iPhone 4S, patiently awaiting the release of the 5S. I have no plans to part with my unlimited data plan. Even though keeping unlimited apparently means I am not allowed to tether, nor am I allowed to FaceTime over cellular, I don't care. It's not worth giving up unlimited.

That said, with the 4S, I really don't go over 2-2.5 GB per month. However, when I get my hands on the 5S and it has LTE, I can see how things may change.

My Dad still has his unlimited data plan too, from the iPhone 3G back in 2008. He is currently on the iPhone 5 (he's NOT on the "S" cycle) and has retained his grandfathered plan. Neither of us plan to part with unlimited.

At least AT&T (for now anyway) allows grandfathered customers to upgrade for subsidized pricing and still keep their unlimited data plans. My lady, who is on Verizon, had to give up unlimited and go tiered (2 GB/month for $30) when she upgraded from her Droid 2 to a iPhone 4S last Oct. But she barely uses much data so it made no real difference to her anyway.
TWD98j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:49 AM   #9
barkomatic
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Manhattan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD98j View Post
I am still under my grandfathered unlimited data plan from when I got the original iPhone back in Feb 2008.

Now I sit on my nearly 2 year old iPhone 4S, patiently awaiting the release of the 5S. I have no plans to part with my unlimited data plan. Even though keeping unlimited apparently means I am not allowed to tether, nor am I allowed to FaceTime over cellular, I don't care. It's not worth giving up unlimited.

That said, with the 4S, I really don't go over 2-2.5 GB per month. However, when I get my hands on the 5S and it has LTE, I can see how things may change.

My Dad still has his unlimited data plan too, from the iPhone 3G back in 2008. He is currently on the iPhone 5 (he's NOT on the "S" cycle) and has retained his grandfathered plan. Neither of us plan to part with unlimited.

At least AT&T (for now anyway) allows grandfathered customers to upgrade for subsidized pricing and still keep their unlimited data plans. My lady, who is on Verizon, had to give up unlimited and go tiered (2 GB/month for $30) when she upgraded from her Droid 2 to a iPhone 4S last Oct. But she barely uses much data so it made no real difference to her anyway.
FYI, you can now do FaceTime over cellular even on AT&T's grandfathered unlimited plan. I believe that change occurred a few months ago.
barkomatic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:56 AM   #10
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816
 
Four oF NINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Soviet Union
I still have the unlimited plan with at&t. I bought my first iPhone, the 3G on launch day. I skipped the next two and got the 4S on launch day. (I would have gotten the 4 but I was concerned about "antenna gate".) So now I'm on the S cycle and I'm happy with that. I'll be getting the 5S when it releases.

I hope to keep the unlimited data plan for as long as it's offered.

I've never heard of anyone getting it back once they've relinquished it though.
__________________
13 inch 2012 MBP SSD – Gold & White iPhone 5S 64gb, Yellow iPhone 5C – 2 Apple TVs – White iPad Air & iPad Mini – Airport Time Capsule & Airport Extreme – iPod classic and iPod shuffle
Four oF NINE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:00 PM   #11
bradl
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
FYI, you can now do FaceTime over cellular even on AT&T's grandfathered unlimited plan. I believe that change occurred a few months ago.
Only with the iPhone 5 for right now. The 4 and 4S still have to wait, as they plan on changing that by the end of the year.

Back to the OP: my wife and I are still on unlimited plans that we had with the iPhone 3G. Not planning on giving it up either.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:03 PM   #12
Carlanga
macrumors 603
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD98j View Post
I am still under my grandfathered unlimited data plan from when I got the original iPhone back in Feb 2008.

Now I sit on my nearly 2 year old iPhone 4S, patiently awaiting the release of the 5S. I have no plans to part with my unlimited data plan. Even though keeping unlimited apparently means I am not allowed to tether, nor am I allowed to FaceTime over cellular, I don't care. It's not worth giving up unlimited.

That said, with the 4S, I really don't go over 2-2.5 GB per month. However, when I get my hands on the 5S and it has LTE, I can see how things may change.

My Dad still has his unlimited data plan too, from the iPhone 3G back in 2008. He is currently on the iPhone 5 (he's NOT on the "S" cycle) and has retained his grandfathered plan. Neither of us plan to part with unlimited.

At least AT&T (for now anyway) allows grandfathered customers to upgrade for subsidized pricing and still keep their unlimited data plans. My lady, who is on Verizon, had to give up unlimited and go tiered (2 GB/month for $30) when she upgraded from her Droid 2 to a iPhone 4S last Oct. But she barely uses much data so it made no real difference to her anyway.
you can facetime using celular w/ unlimited, I do it w/ my 4S

TS, I'm keeping mine as long as possible.
Once you remove it you can't take it back.
__________________
☻ "A dream you dream alone is only a dream...
... A dream you dream together is reality." ☻
Carlanga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:06 PM   #13
gr8tfly
macrumors 603
 
gr8tfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ~119W 34N
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
you can facetime using celular w/ unlimited, I do it w/ my 4S

TS, I'm keeping mine as long as possible.
Once you remove it you can't take it back.
It's not enabled on my wife's grandfathered 4S, or two other grandfathered 4Ss in the family. If you try and enable it, it gives the message to contact AT&T. (Unless something's changed recently.)
__________________
Macs from 1984 to 15" Retina MBP 768GB SSD 16GB RAM, from Newton to iPhone 5 S⃣ , iPods, and tv (3). 128GB Wifi iPad Air
gr8tfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:32 PM   #14
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
You're out of luck.
I still have unlimited data on 3 iphone lines on my account.
Never switched away to save a few dollars.
If I watch youtube or sling player for a few hours I can go over 2GB's of data.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:38 PM   #15
Carlanga
macrumors 603
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tfly View Post
It's not enabled on my wife's grandfathered 4S, or two other grandfathered 4Ss in the family. If you try and enable it, it gives the message to contact AT&T. (Unless something's changed recently.)
Maybe you need to reset network settings and see if that makes it work. It didn't in mine until a few months back that I noticed I could enable it. Make sure you are receiving the AT&T updates.
__________________
☻ "A dream you dream alone is only a dream...
... A dream you dream together is reality." ☻
Carlanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:48 PM   #16
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tfly View Post
It's not enabled on my wife's grandfathered 4S, or two other grandfathered 4Ss in the family. If you try and enable it, it gives the message to contact AT&T. (Unless something's changed recently.)
I think they're rolling it out slowly. On all 3 of my unlimited data iphone 5 phones facetime over cellular data is enabled.
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 05:35 PM   #17
gr8tfly
macrumors 603
 
gr8tfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ~119W 34N
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
I think they're rolling it out slowly. On all 3 of my unlimited data iphone 5 phones facetime over cellular data is enabled.
Nope, not able to yet. My 4S, with a 2G (now 3?) plan automatically enabled FaceTime over cellular a few months back; tried the unlimited plan 4S and it's unable to enable it. Just tried it a few minutes ago, and still nothing. Thanks for info, though.

(OP: sorry for the brief highjack…)
__________________
Macs from 1984 to 15" Retina MBP 768GB SSD 16GB RAM, from Newton to iPhone 5 S⃣ , iPods, and tv (3). 128GB Wifi iPad Air
gr8tfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 06:28 PM   #18
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
I had unlimited with my first iPhone and gave it up in 2009 to save $5 per month for 2GB vs unlimited. Needless to say I am kicking myself for it now. :banghead: At that time I didn't realize the value of unlimited as I was barely crossing 250MB per month. Now I struggle to stay under 2GB every month. FML. Is there any way to get unlimited data back? Has anyone had success doing it with AT&T? What reason could one give for asking for that feature back?
What is gone is gone. If you gave it up, it won't come back.
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 07:42 PM   #19
mac.cali
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Like most have said, once it's removed from your account its gone. Unlimited data is great. I have it with Verizon with unlimited hotspot. The only drawback is I have to pay full retail for my iphone.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad rMini | iPad 3 | MacBook Air | Apple TV | Airport Extreme
mac.cali is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 07:49 PM   #20
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816
 
MattMJB0188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
No way to get it back since its no longer offered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
Can't get it back. They clearly tell you its gone once you switch off.
NOT TRUE! I willingly gave it up last year and went on the 5GB plan. I then called CS with this bogus story how I never agreed to the change. It was escalated in about a week I got it back.

So yeah, you just have to know who to talk to.
MattMJB0188 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:20 PM   #21
bruceleroy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
It is possible but not very easy. I called at least 10 times to have it restored. Depends on the representative
bruceleroy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:22 PM   #22
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
NOT TRUE! I willingly gave it up last year and went on the 5GB plan. I then called CS with this bogus story how I never agreed to the change. It was escalated in about a week I got it back.

So yeah, you just have to know who to talk to.
A single event in a very large pool of calls does not mean the plan will come back. It most likely means you got lucky.

Unlimited data is gone... for good. You best hope is to "buy" the plan from someone who is getting rid of theirs.
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:12 PM   #23
BarryL
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
My friend cannot FT over 3G/4G (HSPA) on her 4S still. She's got unlimited data plan.
BarryL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:21 PM   #24
JaegerMaster
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Unlimited plan here, used 11GB data last month on LTE. Never giving it up!
JaegerMaster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:25 PM   #25
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaegerMaster View Post
Unlimited plan here, used 11GB data last month on LTE. Never giving it up!
11GB? No wonder some of us are being throttled... true we have the capability, but why 11GB? What are you doing on a phone?

I view lots of YouTube videos and browse the web constantly, and even then I still don't hit 5GB a month... Mind you I sometimes kill in a few hours my battery due to web browsing/internet videos.
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
International Messaging Unlimited Showing on my AT&T Unlimited Data Plan JonathanK81 iPhone 9 Apr 1, 2014 02:16 AM
Upgrade with Verizon and keep unlimited data glitch is back ROLLTIDE1 iPhone 12 Oct 31, 2013 04:30 PM
Carrier: Verizon unlimited data is back if you have a nationwide plan/grandfathered data richdog31 iPhone 7 Oct 8, 2013 01:40 PM
All iPads: AT&T Unlimited Data Plan Owners with iPad 3 & Mini - SIM Swap? sdsvtdriver iPad 29 Mar 27, 2013 11:46 PM
For those that gave up unlimited data, did it change immediately? NovemberWhiskey iPhone 2 Oct 5, 2012 01:10 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC