Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you think?
The suspension is fair. 1 3.33%
The suspension isn't nearly enough. 6 20.00%
A&M should be put onto probation and Manziel lose his eligibility. 5 16.67%
The NCAA needs to revise its rules. 7 23.33%
Who cares, all the teams in the SEC cheat. 11 36.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:29 AM   #1
IgnatiusTheKing
macrumors 68040
 
IgnatiusTheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: das Fort
Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
College Football 2013

Three weeks (actually a little less now) away from kickoff. Tick tock.

Who's going to win it all?
IgnatiusTheKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:47 PM   #2
malman89
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
I would personally like to see Ohio State vs. Stanford in the final.

As a Michigan State fan, I don't have much to look forward to without a real QB. Luckily, the Spartans (and the Wolverines for that matter) have such an awful schedule, they should be guaranteed a solid record and bowl game.

If things end up like last season, mid way through I might just become a Northwestern fan again. I would love them to have some national success.
__________________
Lenovo IdeaPad Z510 running Windows 8.1
Motorola Moto G LTE running Android 4.4.4
Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:03 PM   #3
gsugolfer
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Georgia, USA
Alabama.

Again.
gsugolfer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Roller
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
I'd like to see AJ McCarron finish his college career with another win. But, as a 'Bama fan who's seen a couple of seasons that required improbable losses by other teams for the Tide to play for the championship, I'm not taking anything for granted. Too many unknowns, including what happens with Texas A&M and Auburn, which will field a better team this year. (How could they not?)
Roller is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 05:06 PM   #5
sk1wbw
macrumors 68030
 
sk1wbw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Suffolk, Virginia
I can't wait to see the orange and white checkerboard of the VOLS!!!!!!
sk1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:04 PM   #6
rhett7660
macrumors G3
 
rhett7660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sunny, Southern California
Roll Tide... pulling for the Tide again this year...well actually every year, but here is hoping for another great year!!!

Hoping "Big Blue" finally beats those pesky kids from Ohio....
__________________
"It's quite an experience to hold the hand of someone as they move from living to dead."
"Times are looking grim these days, holding on to everything, it's hard to draw the line"
rhett7660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:28 PM   #7
squeeks
macrumors 68040
 
squeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Send a message via AIM to squeeks
Florida State is going to sneak by Clemson, run the table for the rest of their ACC schedule and play Alabama in the championship

At least I can hope.
__________________
Member of the Pirate Fleet Distributed Computing
Member of Soldiers of Valour BF3 Clan
squeeks is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:10 AM   #8
b06tmm
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Location, Location
Geaux Tigers!
b06tmm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:47 AM   #9
samiwas
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post
Auburn, which will field a better team this year. (How could they not?)
Bwaahahaha. As an Auburn grad, even I love this comment. We were really awful last year. Just...I don't think awful is even a strong enough word to describe it. We were happy to go to the A-Day game this year (where Auburn plays itself in a split team) because we knew that Auburn would win at least one game this year!
__________________
A lack of planning on your part should not constitute an emergency on mine.
samiwas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 05:04 PM   #10
Silencio
macrumors 68000
 
Silencio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NYC
Stanford being discussed as a legitimate national title contender... what wondrous times we're living in.

Yes, it is possible. The defense will be even better than the past couple of seasons. It's just a matter of the offense improving enough. Will any running back or combination of running backs be able to come close to Stepfan Taylor's production? Will Hogan's sophomore improvements be significant? Will a receiver or tight end come forward to be a reliable or dangerous target for him to throw to?
__________________
"The times they are a changin', and some traditional PC folks feel like their world is slipping away. It is."
Silencio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 06:21 PM   #11
malman89
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencio View Post
Stanford being discussed as a legitimate national title contender... what wondrous times we're living in.

Yes, it is possible. The defense will be even better than the past couple of seasons. It's just a matter of the offense improving enough. Will any running back — or combination of running backs — be able to come close to Stepfan Taylor's production? Will Hogan's sophomore improvements be significant? Will a receiver or tight end come forward to be a reliable or dangerous target for him to throw to?
I just like Stanford better than Oregon from the Pac 12 and didn't want to pick an SEC team (though it's incredibly likely they will at least be in the title game, mer...).

Every team has some question marks at this time of the year. Still way too early to tell.
__________________
Lenovo IdeaPad Z510 running Windows 8.1
Motorola Moto G LTE running Android 4.4.4
Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 06:25 PM   #12
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above sea level
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsugolfer View Post
Alabama.

Again.
They wont get past my CSU Rams lol
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 07:04 AM   #13
Roller
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
Bwaahahaha. As an Auburn grad, even I love this comment. We were really awful last year. Just...I don't think awful is even a strong enough word to describe it. We were happy to go to the A-Day game this year (where Auburn plays itself in a split team) because we knew that Auburn would win at least one game this year!
I know what you mean. I work with a lot of Auburn grads, and they conceded pretty quickly last year. I really do hope that Auburn works its way back to contention, and I don't mean by having a superstar like Cam Newton, but not much depth.
Roller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 07:16 AM   #14
MacDawg
macrumors P6
 
MacDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: "Between the Hedges"
The Dawgs should have a solid offense
Returning OL and experienced QB with outstanding RBs
The WRs should be very good as well, even though they are lesser known

The defense is unproven and needs to step up from last year's squad that had their issues, especially with the run, even though they had high NFL draft picks

The first 2 games, Clemson and South Carolina will set the tone, along with LSU in week 4

Many pick a Dawg and Tide rematch in the SEC Title Game
Would love a shot to make that last play of the game again
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 07:23 AM   #15
sk1wbw
macrumors 68030
 
sk1wbw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Suffolk, Virginia
Where's that downvote button???!!!
sk1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:24 AM   #16
CountryBobs
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
I think there are a couple of really good teams in the B1G, but playing the style of football that works in the cold doesn't generally translate well to bowl games in domes or warm weather.

There is a reason the SEC and others don't ever agree to play northern teams during the cold months.

Ideally, they would move the NCG North and South on odd/even years. I'd love to see some of these teams try to play their style of game in Lambeau or Soldier Field. The NFL regularly plays games that matter in cold weather, and it's not a coincidence that the best teams in the league are Northern teams.
CountryBobs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:02 PM   #17
malman89
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBobs View Post
I think there are a couple of really good teams in the B1G, but playing the style of football that works in the cold doesn't generally translate well to bowl games in domes or warm weather.

There is a reason the SEC and others don't ever agree to play northern teams during the cold months.

Ideally, they would move the NCG North and South on odd/even years. I'd love to see some of these teams try to play their style of game in Lambeau or Soldier Field. The NFL regularly plays games that matter in cold weather, and it's not a coincidence that the best teams in the league are Northern teams.
The NCAA would rather put a NCG in the North in Indy or Ford Field, two indoor stadiums. Why? They're nicer than Lambeau and Soldier first off, and secondly, they seat more than Soldier Field and could make more money. I really don't see Lambeau - although with a higher capacity - being a viable location. There's no connection to the college game and it isn't in a major city (Chicago, Indy, Detroit). It would make the point moot of playing in the north.

Business > Football.

---

And the main discrepancy is the speed, strength, and depth of the linemen. OSU and other schools have equal speed at QB/RB/WR/LB/CB today. It's the line where non SEC schools still aren't on their level.
__________________
Lenovo IdeaPad Z510 running Windows 8.1
Motorola Moto G LTE running Android 4.4.4
Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:26 PM   #18
gsugolfer
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Georgia, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
The Dawgs should have a solid offense
Returning OL and experienced QB with outstanding RBs
The WRs should be very good as well, even though they are lesser known

The defense is unproven and needs to step up from last year's squad that had their issues, especially with the run, even though they had high NFL draft picks

The first 2 games, Clemson and South Carolina will set the tone, along with LSU in week 4

Many pick a Dawg and Tide rematch in the SEC Title Game
Would love a shot to make that last play of the game again
Now, let me be clear with this comment, I do dislike UGA football. HOWEVER, this assessment has nothing to do with that and is objective.

I think there's a real possibility that they are going to lose two of those three. It wouldn't shock me to see them sitting at 3-1 after Week 4 by any means. It also wouldn't shock me to see 2-2, though.
gsugolfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:53 PM   #19
IgnatiusTheKing
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
IgnatiusTheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: das Fort
Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by b06tmm View Post
Geaux Tigers!
I'm going to a game in Baton Rouge for the first time since 1994 this year. Can't wait.
IgnatiusTheKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 01:27 PM   #20
b06tmm
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Location, Location
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusTheKing View Post
I'm going to a game in Baton Rouge for the first time since 1994 this year. Can't wait.
Death Valley is an awesome place to experience a game! Which one are you going to?

The last time I was there was sometime in the 80's when Dalton Hilliard, Gary James, and Eric Martin were playing. I had a friend going to LSU at the time and I actually slept on the pool table in the frat house that night.

LSU is ranked 13th in the preseason polls but I hope that Zach (QB), will surprise everyone as he worked during the off season with a QB coach who is now (I think) the offensive coordinator.

I'm a fan, but not a fanatic. I don't watch the scrimmage, or practice games but once the season starts, Saturday nights are reserved for the Tigers!

Geaux Tigers!
b06tmm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:50 PM   #21
Roller
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
AP pre-season rankings out

Numbers after the college name are # of points and # of first place votes:

1 Alabama 1498 58
2 Ohio State 1365 1
3 Oregon 1335 0
4 Stanford 1294 0
5 Georgia 1249 1
6 South Carolina 1154 0
7 Texas A&M 1104 0
8 Clemson 1083 0
9 Louisville 1042 0
10 Florida 894 0
11 Florida State 845 0
12 LSU 802 0
13 Oklahoma State 755 0
14 Notre Dame 748 0
15 Texas 677 0
16 Oklahoma 579 0
17 Michigan 531 0
18 Nebraska 382 0
19 Boise State 328 0
20 TCU 323 0
21 UCLA 286 0
22 Northwestern 199 0
23 Wisconsin 185 0
24 USC 134 0
25 Oregon State 129 0
Roller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 04:33 PM   #22
The.316
macrumors 65816
 
The.316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Hurricanes are going to surprise. The offense is lethal, which includes, IMO, the best RB in the county in Duke Johnson. Anything less than an ACC Championship birth would be a failure IMO.
__________________
27" iMac i7 13" MPB
16gb iPhone 5 32gb iPad Air
Apple TV 3
The.316 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 08:01 PM   #23
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God
 
AustinIllini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post
Too many unknowns, including what happens with Texas A&M and Auburn, which will field a better team this year. (How could they not?)
Whether or not Johnny Manziel plays, I cannot fathom Alabama losing to A&M this year.
__________________
"We pave the sunlit path toward justice together, brick by brick." - Tim Cook
iPhone 6 64GB Space Grey Mid 2014 13" rMBP iPad Mini Retina 32 GB
AustinIllini is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 08:18 PM   #24
AlabamaSlammer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alabama
First I do have to say ROLL TIDE ROLL but this year of college football is going to be crazy.

There are many teams that are capable of winning it all. Alabama, Stanford, Texas A&M, Ohio St, Louisville (their schedule helps them a ton), Lsu, Georgia, South Carolina, and Oregon. I did leave off a few teams.

Not only am I a big SEC fan but I love college football and can't wait till Thursday 8-29-13. The big question is can the SEC make it 8 in a row or will it come to an end?

As an Alabama fan I would like to see Bama vs Stanford in the BCS Game. Two strong teams with great D but Stanford is going to have the best Offensive Line this season..

can't wait and ROLL TIDE
AlabamaSlammer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 09:59 PM   #25
IgnatiusTheKing
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
IgnatiusTheKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: das Fort
Send a message via AIM to IgnatiusTheKing Send a message via Skype™ to IgnatiusTheKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by b06tmm View Post
Death Valley is an awesome place to experience a game! Which one are you going to?
I'll be at the A&M game.

I think LSU is being underrated by everyone, especially since Jeremy Hill is going to play (though he probably shouldn't). The Tigers will have an interesting test right off the bat against TCU.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post
Whether or not Johnny Manziel plays, I cannot fathom Alabama losing to A&M this year.
No one could last year, either.

The game will really turn on how well A&M's defense can slow down Bama's offense because the Tide D isn't fast enough to stop A&M's offense.
IgnatiusTheKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 College Football Thread utahman130 Community Discussion 741 Aug 10, 2013 10:31 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC