Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think?

• The suspension is fair.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • The suspension isn't nearly enough.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • A&M should be put onto probation and Manziel lose his eligibility.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • The NCAA needs to revise its rules.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Who cares, all the teams in the SEC cheat.

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I would personally like to see Ohio State vs. Stanford in the final.

As a Michigan State fan, I don't have much to look forward to without a real QB. Luckily, the Spartans (and the Wolverines for that matter) have such an awful schedule, they should be guaranteed a solid record and bowl game.

If things end up like last season, mid way through I might just become a Northwestern fan again. I would love them to have some national success.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I'd like to see AJ McCarron finish his college career with another win. But, as a 'Bama fan who's seen a couple of seasons that required improbable losses by other teams for the Tide to play for the championship, I'm not taking anything for granted. Too many unknowns, including what happens with Texas A&M and Auburn, which will field a better team this year. (How could they not?)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Roll Tide... pulling for the Tide again this year...well actually every year, but here is hoping for another great year!!!

Hoping "Big Blue" finally beats those pesky kids from Ohio.... :)

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
Florida State is going to sneak by Clemson, run the table for the rest of their ACC schedule and play Alabama in the championship :D

At least I can hope.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Auburn, which will field a better team this year. (How could they not?)

Bwaahahaha. As an Auburn grad, even I love this comment. We were really awful last year. Just...I don't think awful is even a strong enough word to describe it. We were happy to go to the A-Day game this year (where Auburn plays itself in a split team) because we knew that Auburn would win at least one game this year!

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Stanford being discussed as a legitimate national title contender... what wondrous times we're living in.

Yes, it is possible. The defense will be even better than the past couple of seasons. It's just a matter of the offense improving enough. Will any running back — or combination of running backs — be able to come close to Stepfan Taylor's production? Will Hogan's sophomore improvements be significant? Will a receiver or tight end come forward to be a reliable or dangerous target for him to throw to?

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Stanford being discussed as a legitimate national title contender... what wondrous times we're living in.

Yes, it is possible. The defense will be even better than the past couple of seasons. It's just a matter of the offense improving enough. Will any running back — or combination of running backs — be able to come close to Stepfan Taylor's production? Will Hogan's sophomore improvements be significant? Will a receiver or tight end come forward to be a reliable or dangerous target for him to throw to?

I just like Stanford better than Oregon from the Pac 12 and didn't want to pick an SEC team (though it's incredibly likely they will at least be in the title game, mer...).

Every team has some question marks at this time of the year. Still way too early to tell.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Bwaahahaha. As an Auburn grad, even I love this comment. We were really awful last year. Just...I don't think awful is even a strong enough word to describe it. We were happy to go to the A-Day game this year (where Auburn plays itself in a split team) because we knew that Auburn would win at least one game this year!

I know what you mean. I work with a lot of Auburn grads, and they conceded pretty quickly last year. I really do hope that Auburn works its way back to contention, and I don't mean by having a superstar like Cam Newton, but not much depth.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The Dawgs should have a solid offense
Returning OL and experienced QB with outstanding RBs
The WRs should be very good as well, even though they are lesser known

The defense is unproven and needs to step up from last year's squad that had their issues, especially with the run, even though they had high NFL draft picks

The first 2 games, Clemson and South Carolina will set the tone, along with LSU in week 4

Many pick a Dawg and Tide rematch in the SEC Title Game
Would love a shot to make that last play of the game again

CountryBobs

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
I think there are a couple of really good teams in the B1G, but playing the style of football that works in the cold doesn't generally translate well to bowl games in domes or warm weather.

There is a reason the SEC and others don't ever agree to play northern teams during the cold months.

Ideally, they would move the NCG North and South on odd/even years. I'd love to see some of these teams try to play their style of game in Lambeau or Soldier Field. The NFL regularly plays games that matter in cold weather, and it's not a coincidence that the best teams in the league are Northern teams.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I think there are a couple of really good teams in the B1G, but playing the style of football that works in the cold doesn't generally translate well to bowl games in domes or warm weather.

There is a reason the SEC and others don't ever agree to play northern teams during the cold months.

Ideally, they would move the NCG North and South on odd/even years. I'd love to see some of these teams try to play their style of game in Lambeau or Soldier Field. The NFL regularly plays games that matter in cold weather, and it's not a coincidence that the best teams in the league are Northern teams.

The NCAA would rather put a NCG in the North in Indy or Ford Field, two indoor stadiums. Why? They're nicer than Lambeau and Soldier first off, and secondly, they seat more than Soldier Field and could make more money. I really don't see Lambeau - although with a higher capacity - being a viable location. There's no connection to the college game and it isn't in a major city (Chicago, Indy, Detroit). It would make the point moot of playing in the north.

Business > Football.

---

And the main discrepancy is the speed, strength, and depth of the linemen. OSU and other schools have equal speed at QB/RB/WR/LB/CB today. It's the line where non SEC schools still aren't on their level.

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
The Dawgs should have a solid offense
Returning OL and experienced QB with outstanding RBs
The WRs should be very good as well, even though they are lesser known

The defense is unproven and needs to step up from last year's squad that had their issues, especially with the run, even though they had high NFL draft picks

The first 2 games, Clemson and South Carolina will set the tone, along with LSU in week 4

Many pick a Dawg and Tide rematch in the SEC Title Game
Would love a shot to make that last play of the game again

Now, let me be clear with this comment, I do dislike UGA football. HOWEVER, this assessment has nothing to do with that and is objective.

I think there's a real possibility that they are going to lose two of those three. It wouldn't shock me to see them sitting at 3-1 after Week 4 by any means. It also wouldn't shock me to see 2-2, though.

b06tmm

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
South Louisiana
I'm going to a game in Baton Rouge for the first time since 1994 this year. Can't wait.

Death Valley is an awesome place to experience a game! Which one are you going to?

The last time I was there was sometime in the 80's when Dalton Hilliard, Gary James, and Eric Martin were playing. I had a friend going to LSU at the time and I actually slept on the pool table in the frat house that night.

LSU is ranked 13th in the preseason polls but I hope that Zach (QB), will surprise everyone as he worked during the off season with a QB coach who is now (I think) the offensive coordinator.

I'm a fan, but not a fanatic. I don't watch the scrimmage, or practice games but once the season starts, Saturday nights are reserved for the Tigers!

Geaux Tigers!

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
AP pre-season rankings out

Numbers after the college name are # of points and # of first place votes:

1 Alabama 1498 58
2 Ohio State 1365 1
3 Oregon 1335 0
4 Stanford 1294 0
5 Georgia 1249 1
6 South Carolina 1154 0
7 Texas A&M 1104 0
8 Clemson 1083 0
9 Louisville 1042 0
10 Florida 894 0
11 Florida State 845 0
12 LSU 802 0
13 Oklahoma State 755 0
14 Notre Dame 748 0
15 Texas 677 0
16 Oklahoma 579 0
17 Michigan 531 0
18 Nebraska 382 0
19 Boise State 328 0
20 TCU 323 0
21 UCLA 286 0
22 Northwestern 199 0
23 Wisconsin 185 0
24 USC 134 0
25 Oregon State 129 0

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
Hurricanes are going to surprise. The offense is lethal, which includes, IMO, the best RB in the county in Duke Johnson. Anything less than an ACC Championship birth would be a failure IMO.

AlabamaSlammer

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Alabama
First I do have to say ROLL TIDE ROLL but this year of college football is going to be crazy.

There are many teams that are capable of winning it all. Alabama, Stanford, Texas A&M, Ohio St, Louisville (their schedule helps them a ton), Lsu, Georgia, South Carolina, and Oregon. I did leave off a few teams.

Not only am I a big SEC fan but I love college football and can't wait till Thursday 8-29-13. The big question is can the SEC make it 8 in a row or will it come to an end?

As an Alabama fan I would like to see Bama vs Stanford in the BCS Game. Two strong teams with great D but Stanford is going to have the best Offensive Line this season..

can't wait and ROLL TIDE

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Death Valley is an awesome place to experience a game! Which one are you going to?

I'll be at the A&M game.

I think LSU is being underrated by everyone, especially since Jeremy Hill is going to play (though he probably shouldn't). The Tigers will have an interesting test right off the bat against TCU.

----------

Whether or not Johnny Manziel plays, I cannot fathom Alabama losing to A&M this year.

No one could last year, either.

The game will really turn on how well A&M's defense can slow down Bama's offense because the Tide D isn't fast enough to stop A&M's offense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.