Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mirzank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Finally got around to trying out mavericks, and the one sole feature i was really looking forward to was safari. i'm one of those people with 7-8 tabs running, and at least 3-4 running all the time, email, etc. I hated how safari would keep consuming power despite it being minimized (cpu meter in stat), and the power consumption kept increasing with time. so i'd then have to close off safari and restore tabs. sometimes it would fail.

anyhow I've tried minimizing safari for a while, covering it in another window, and the battery meter in mavericks shows safari under apps consuming battery, and in activity monitor area where you monitor battery usage safari is still consuming battery.

So my question is how does it kick in? is it site dependent? someone in one of the topics mentioned how you have to go to the same site that was shown in the keynote. is this just a beta bug thats going to be resolved, or is this the normal behaviour where app nap is site dependent, or it takes more than a few moments to kick in (in keynote it was instant).

am i doing something wrong?

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I've got to admit that I'm not sure myself, but I just tested it by opening a Youtube video and then switching over to the dashboard, where I have the iStat widget installed, and the CPU user activity went down after just a second (from about 10 to 1%, I tried it several times), though system CPU activity stayed at 5% while it's at 1% right now without anything open other than this page and iTunes. I guess it's not fully optimised yet.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Safari does indeed "nap". Look at the energy tab and then at the Web Components under the Safari app. They will nap. Will all of Safari go completely idle? No. Portions of it will always be running. That's why there is no way to completely disable App Nap like you can other apps (like iTunes).

I haven't stayed in Mavrix long enough to see what kind of battery impact the nap feature has on my MBP though. But if the readings in Activity Monitor have any credence, I'd think it would be significant depending on one's workflow.

mirzank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
one thing i have noticed is that my macbook pro 13 is running much cooler, so some part of app nap is working or the OS is just more efficient.

I did a clean install. my ML partition was getting a bit heavy.

So not sure if I just had something going on with ML or it was the fact that i hadn't done a clean install since 2010 or if 10.9 is just more efficient but my laptop runs cooler. on ML it would sometimes get really really hot. i haven't noticed that happening in the little while i've had mavericks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.