Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yannoulecomte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2013
So I was planning on selling my iPhone 4S for a samsung galaxy S4, but hopefully, I thought about the iPhone 5S. The S3 beats 4S, the 5 beats S3, the S4 beats 5, so i guess now the 5S beats S4? But that i'm not sure because it is almost impossible from Apple to introduce: a larger screen, wave gestures, eye controll, at least 12 MGP camera, finerprint sensor, etc in just one phone? I guess alll this features will come gradually to the next gen iphones, but certainly not all in one. but what I really like about android is that you can download torrents, open up skype files else than just photos, etc, but I also like iOS 7's simplicity, and i find siri much "nicer" and able to keep up a conversation, unlike S Voice. I don't know what to do, since I already have someone who is willing to buy my 4S, but i'm scared that if i wait late september she would say no, or i don't wanna stay a month without a phone. If That Helps, I Have a 2011 iMac, and I will be getting iPad 5.:confused:
Thanks for your advice.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Before the keynote, we have no idea what the next iPhone will be like. We can make educated guesses at what the next iPhone might be like but nothing is set in stone until Apple actually goes ahead and announces it.

My best educated guess would be that Apple will:
- Improve the camera in some way (megapixels/sensor)
- Have a feature that is unique to the next iPhone that previous iPhones do not have
- Retain the 4" screen

Ahead of this, any other guesses I might be able to make at what the next iPhone will have would much rather be wild speculations rather than educated guesses.

I've bolded the 4" screen because I've personally experienced screen size as being a major factor in whether people go with iOS or go for a large screened Android phone. You use the screen on a phone virtually everytime you use your phone. If you're finding the 3.5"/4" screen is too cramped for a smartphone screen in 2013 then it is unlikely you're going to like the screen on the next iPhone as it will most likely be a 4" display.

Past that, it all just boils down to personal preference. You seem to have mentioned alot more about things you like in Android in your post as compared to what you like about iOS (simplicity and a conversational digital assistant). It seems to me that you are leaning towards Android and want some justification to push you towards it.

The learning curve on Android isn't that steep (- been there twice) and it is easy to get used to. Yes, iOS is simple and easy to use but that can sometimes become a little stale and boring. Android is more complex but is much deeper than iOS in terms of customisation and user capability.

Don't let Siri hold you back - Google Now is a far better option to the awful software Samsung created known as 'S Voice'. I really only use Siri to reply to messages or make phonecalls while I'm driving - past that, I find it faster to do things on my phone myself rather than to rely on Siri.

If you tend to use a bucketload of apps on your phone, I'm sure you know that using apps on iOS beats Android hands down both in terms of fluidity/optimisation and choice.

One thing to note - When I moved from iOS -> Android, twice, I noticed both times that audio on Android really sucked. I am not an audiophile by any stretch but it is probably my favourite thing on the iPhone when compared with other phones. Apple really put alot of attention into the audio side of things on the iPhone and it is, sadly, something that is often missed in reviews and comparisons. Let me illustrate to you what I mean:

My Desire HD had awful, tinny, QUIET speakers that, for me, were beyond useless. The microphone also sucked and I found it difficult to record lectures whereas previously, sat in the same position, my iPhone 3G performed well.

My Galaxy Nexus had an awful speaker, poor microphone and above all that a terrible DAC meaning that audio through earphones was poor in comparison to my iPhone 4.

My most appreciated feature of the iPhone 5 is probably the audio side of things. The speaker is LOUD, the microphone is amazing in terms of recording ability and it contains a quality DAC that lets me appreciate my music through my earphones.

If listening to music is a big part of your day then be careful which Android phone you pick and have a look at the audio profile of the S4 carefully before buying. Browse XDA forums for information like that because, as I said before, this kind of information isn't covered well in reviews.

If I had to pick between my iPhone 5 and the S4, I would probably pick the S4 for my personal uses. I'm finding the screen on the iPhone 5 to be too cramped these days and the OS is starting to become dull to me. Expandable storage and a removable battery are also features I would find myself using frequently if there were available to me. If you don't mind Android's unoptimised apps and the awful plastic Samsung insists on using on their flagship phones, you will probably enjoy using the S4 - the display really is amazing.

BMNEUR

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2013
Louisville
So I was planning on selling my iPhone 4S for a samsung galaxy S4, but hopefully, I thought about the iPhone 5S. The S3 beats 4S, the 5 beats S3, the S4 beats 5, so i guess now the 5S beats S4? But that i'm not sure because it is almost impossible from Apple to introduce: a larger screen, wave gestures, eye controll, at least 12 MGP camera, finerprint sensor, etc in just one phone? I guess alll this features will come gradually to the next gen iphones, but certainly not all in one. but what I really like about android is that you can download torrents, open up skype files else than just photos, etc, but I also like iOS 7's simplicity, and i find siri much "nicer" and able to keep up a conversation, unlike S Voice. I don't know what to do, since I already have someone who is willing to buy my 4S, but i'm scared that if i wait late september she would say no, or i don't wanna stay a month without a phone. If That Helps, I Have a 2011 iMac, and I will be getting iPad 5.:confused:
Thanks for your advice.

In my opinion, Samsung's build quality is very poor. If you like plastic that will burst and reveal a battery after the first drop, as well as the many features it has that barely get use, as well as Android's host of problems, be my guest.
The iPhone as a much more superior build quality and it will likely mirror the iPhone 5 on the outside boasting the same screen size. It will likely have the A6X chip as well as the features you described above. If you can hang on the extra month I think it will be worth the wait, and it's always easy to find a buyer for an iPhone so you have nothing to worry about.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
From a hardware point of view, the S4 beats the iPhone 5 but in my opinion iOS is faster on the iPhone 5 than Andorid is on the S4.

UKapple

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
The thing that really annoys me about apple is the fact that they have the technology to compete with the likes of the S4 now but they always insist on phasing it in over a few generations of the iPhone to make more money. Don't get me wrong from a business point of view its great but I'm getting a little bored of it now.

iOS needs a major revamp and just not some fancy new icons and colours, its stale and somewhat boring now. As for the next iphone release I wouldn't expect anything significant, a few tweaks here and there.

I wish I had held out for the S4 instead of buying and getting tied into a 2 year contract with the iphone 5.

My advice, jump ship matey, the s4 has much more tech than anything apple is likely to release in the next few months.

yannoulecomte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2013
In my opinion, Samsung's build quality is very poor. If you like plastic that will burst and reveal a battery after the first drop, as well as the many features it has that barely get use, as well as Android's host of problems, be my guest.
The iPhone as a much more superior build quality and it will likely mirror the iPhone 5 on the outside boasting the same screen size. It will likely have the A6X chip as well as the features you described above. If you can hang on the extra month I think it will be worth the wait, and it's always easy to find a buyer for an iPhone so you have nothing to worry about.

you can get metal backcovers for the galaxy. But that's not the thing: let's say you drop both the S4 and the 5, which is harder to replace the back? the S4 is just plastic so it's really cheap therefore if you brake it, it's not that of big deal because you just gotta pay what, 5 $ for that plastic. On the 5 you gotta have the glass and aluminium replaced.. and that cosst alot.

----------

From a hardware point of view, the S4 beats the iPhone 5 but in my opinion iOS is faster on the iPhone 5 than Andorid is on the S4.

I used someone elese's S4 and honestly, I think both now are very stable. that argument isn't valid anymore. and even if you have a small lag when opening camera app, with android you get to do alot! When I go on trips, I always download the movie on my mac, convert it to iphone format, then put it on my phone. With android you can download it right from the device itself and that is really one major thing that makes me go to Android.
oh gosh i cant believe i'm saying all that! I used to be anti-android!:eek:

----------

The thing that really annoys me about apple is the fact that they have the technology to compete with the likes of the S4 now but they always insist on phasing it in over a few generations of the iPhone to make more money. Don't get me wrong from a business point of view its great but I'm getting a little bored of it now.

iOS needs a major revamp and just not some fancy new icons and colours, its stale and somewhat boring now. As for the next iphone release I wouldn't expect anything significant, a few tweaks here and there.

I wish I had held out for the S4 instead of buying and getting tied into a 2 year contract with the iphone 5.

My advice, jump ship matey, the s4 has much more tech than anything apple is likely to release in the next few months.

I totally agree but i'm scared Apple does their usual thing, introduce a killer feature. Or many. Because it's obvious Apple won't realese an iPhone that can't beat the S4.

----------

Before the keynote, we have no idea what the next iPhone will be like. We can make educated guesses at what the next iPhone might be like but nothing is set in stone until Apple actually goes ahead and announces it.

My best educated guess would be that Apple will:
- Improve the camera in some way (megapixels/sensor)
- Have a feature that is unique to the next iPhone that previous iPhones do not have
- Retain the 4" screen

Ahead of this, any other guesses I might be able to make at what the next iPhone will have would much rather be wild speculations rather than educated guesses.

I've bolded the 4" screen because I've personally experienced screen size as being a major factor in whether people go with iOS or go for a large screened Android phone. You use the screen on a phone virtually everytime you use your phone. If you're finding the 3.5"/4" screen is too cramped for a smartphone screen in 2013 then it is unlikely you're going to like the screen on the next iPhone as it will most likely be a 4" display.

Past that, it all just boils down to personal preference. You seem to have mentioned alot more about things you like in Android in your post as compared to what you like about iOS (simplicity and a conversational digital assistant). It seems to me that you are leaning towards Android and want some justification to push you towards it.

The learning curve on Android isn't that steep (- been there twice) and it is easy to get used to. Yes, iOS is simple and easy to use but that can sometimes become a little stale and boring. Android is more complex but is much deeper than iOS in terms of customisation and user capability.

Don't let Siri hold you back - Google Now is a far better option to the awful software Samsung created known as 'S Voice'. I really only use Siri to reply to messages or make phonecalls while I'm driving - past that, I find it faster to do things on my phone myself rather than to rely on Siri.

If you tend to use a bucketload of apps on your phone, I'm sure you know that using apps on iOS beats Android hands down both in terms of fluidity/optimisation and choice.

One thing to note - When I moved from iOS -> Android, twice, I noticed both times that audio on Android really sucked. I am not an audiophile by any stretch but it is probably my favourite thing on the iPhone when compared with other phones. Apple really put alot of attention into the audio side of things on the iPhone and it is, sadly, something that is often missed in reviews and comparisons. Let me illustrate to you what I mean:

My Desire HD had awful, tinny, QUIET speakers that, for me, were beyond useless. The microphone also sucked and I found it difficult to record lectures whereas previously, sat in the same position, my iPhone 3G performed well.

My Galaxy Nexus had an awful speaker, poor microphone and above all that a terrible DAC meaning that audio through earphones was poor in comparison to my iPhone 4.

My most appreciated feature of the iPhone 5 is probably the audio side of things. The speaker is LOUD, the microphone is amazing in terms of recording ability and it contains a quality DAC that lets me appreciate my music through my earphones.

If listening to music is a big part of your day then be careful which Android phone you pick and have a look at the audio profile of the S4 carefully before buying. Browse XDA forums for information like that because, as I said before, this kind of information isn't covered well in reviews.

If I had to pick between my iPhone 5 and the S4, I would probably pick the S4 for my personal uses. I'm finding the screen on the iPhone 5 to be too cramped these days and the OS is starting to become dull to me. Expandable storage and a removable battery are also features I would find myself using frequently if there were available to me. If you don't mind Android's unoptimised apps and the awful plastic Samsung insists on using on their flagship phones, you will probably enjoy using the S4 - the display really is amazing.

I do listen to music and on my friend's S4, when she put on the music, I was like blown away by how loud it seemed to me. and with earphones, I did not see any single difference.

But just as i mentioned earlier, downloading movies from the device itself just made my choice clear: S4.

And the google play store has 800 000 apps versus 900 000 for Apple's appstore.....really not huge difference

but on the other hand I don't want to be with my S4, once the 5S is out, to be like "oh no why didn't I wait" and then later in march to have the S5 in my head.

Last edited:

BMNEUR

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2013
Louisville
you can get metal backcovers for the galaxy. But that's not the thing: let's say you drop both the S4 and the 5, which is harder to replace the back? the S4 is just plastic so it's really cheap therefore if you brake it, it's not that of big deal because you just gotta pay what, 5 $ for that plastic. On the 5 you gotta have the glass and aluminium replaced.. and that cosst alot.

Actually, not really. The out of warranty flat fee is $229 whereas the the iPhone 4S is $199, so yes it is $30 more but is that the end of the world? Not really. If you elected to purchase AppleCare for $99 it has two accidental claims for a $49 service fee for drops and spills. It's highly doubtful that you would pay just $5 for an ACCIDENTAL claim for a cover and walk away with it. Lastly, WHY did you ask for our advice if you keep bringing up the Galaxy S4 in every one of your quotes? Clearly it appears your mind is set so you don't need our help.

Darryjr

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2013
New York
I have had the iPhone 5, s4, and HTC one. By a far margin the HTC beats them all. Screen, music, speed, fluidity. I can go on and on. I think you should look into the HTC instead of the s4. Speakers are amazing as well as the microphone. It is the smoothest running android I have ever used, and I have had basically all the top tier phones. If you are thinking of switching, check out the HTC.....

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
From a hardware side, the S4 has been hardware, but it should its 9 months newer. That being said the iPhone 5 appears faster even with inferior specs. I think that has to do with how iOS is built and app developers don't have to program the app to work with a myriad of phones or OSes.
From a software side, many of the new "features" are very gimicky. Wave you hand to answer? Seriously that a groundbreaking feature? Video stops every time I look away? If I am deaf and have subtitles in, yes that is a needed feature but otherwise I don't need to stare at the screen for every second to enjoy the video. Camera options, many of those are gimmicky that aren't that important, like the rumored slow mo stuff for iPhone 5S.

At the end of the day S4 has better hardware but inferior software. And if you are always second guessing whether to buy the new hotness, you will always be stuck with you iPhone 4S. Buy the phone you think will serve you best and the phone that has the features you might actually use.

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
up above the streets and houses
which phone is better is entirely subjective, personally I would say that the iphone 4 is better than the S4, but then I don't want a plastic phone with a huge screen.

you seem to have made your mind up so just buy the S4 and be happy.

Oh and just so that you are aware, you can download movies direct to an iphone too, you just have to pay for them rather than stealing them

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
looking at the trend in benchmarks ip5s will be at least the double of 5 in cpu power... so I think yes, it will be better than s4

yannoulecomte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2013
Actually, not really. The out of warranty flat fee is $229 whereas the the iPhone 4S is $199, so yes it is $30 more but is that the end of the world? Not really. If you elected to purchase AppleCare for $99 it has two accidental claims for a $49 service fee for drops and spills. It's highly doubtful that you would pay just $5 for an ACCIDENTAL claim for a cover and walk away with it. Lastly, WHY did you ask for our advice if you keep bringing up the Galaxy S4 in every one of your quotes? Clearly it appears your mind is set so you don't need our help.

Just so you know between S4 design and iphone 5 design, dah the 5 wins. but in both ways i don't drop my phone, never did in fact. but really i love the disgn of the 5, but being realistic, that's not enough to buy it.

Beyinsis

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2013
If you just look for hardware specs you would be right but when consider os too even iphone 4 beats s4

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I've had an iPhone 5 since launch day and got a Galaxy S4 last week.

I will skip the 5S most likely because I don't see the value in simple camera or gpu improvements. If Apple adds newer features and a better design I may change my mind.

As for the 5S being better than the S4...better how? What exactly are you referring to, and what is most important to you?

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
OP your problem is that you don't know what you want.

forget about which phone "beats" another phone.

do you like the SG4? are the features it brings satisfactory to you? will you adapt to android? if so, then go now and buy the SG4 and forget about what apple has up it sleeve for the iP5S.

it might sound overly simplistic but you really need to ask yourself: "what do i want out of my next phone?"; and if you find one that meets your criteria then go and buy it.

the only reason you should have to wait until the next iP is released is iOS. if the apple ecosystem is a major *must* for you then neither of the phones already in the market will satisfy you fully. if the iP 5S turns out to be a complete turnoff for you then you can reassess your priorities.

i made up my mind when i saw iOS 7. it was a complete turn off for me and lost all interest in the next phone because i knew i wouldnt be happy with it. so i switched to an android device. at this point i couldnt care less if the iP 5S comes with a nuclear powered core that powers your phone for 20 years because i chose a device that satisfies all my needs.

Last edited:

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
I literally cannot understand anyone who would buy an iphone over the Galaxy S4 but that's just me.

Get the S4. The reviews are through the roof and the 5S will be boring

Cicatrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I have had the iPhone 5, s4, and HTC one. By a far margin the HTC beats them all. Screen, music, speed, fluidity. I can go on and on. I think you should look into the HTC instead of the s4. Speakers are amazing as well as the microphone. It is the smoothest running android I have ever used, and I have had basically all the top tier phones. If you are thinking of switching, check out the HTC.....

i've been researching the S4, and the htc one, and this seems the general consensus. I am really starting to get intrigued by the htc one. i really wish apple would drop a game changer iphone this fall though.

Warcake

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
Thanks for your advice.

:confused: the iPhone 5 isn't better than the S3 spec wise. You can Google this, and I know because I own both phones. However apple isn't about specs but about the smoothness of iOS. So in that aspect, I'm pretty sure the 5s will be smoother than android on the S4, but it definitely won't be better spec wise. The trend is always this; android flagships always have better specs than than the current flagship iPhone, but the iPhone still runs "smoother".

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.

i've been researching the S4, and the htc one, and this seems the general consensus. I am really starting to get intrigued by the htc one. i really wish apple would drop a game changer iphone this fall though.

i too can attest to the htc one quality. i havent used the SG4 but this thing is incredible.

perhaps it doesnt have as many bells and whistles (software wise) as the SG4 but the design quality, the screen, and the audio are amazing).

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
:confused: the iPhone 5 isn't better than the S3 spec wise. You can Google this, and I know because I own both phones. However apple isn't about specs but about the smoothness of iOS. So in that aspect, I'm pretty sure the 5s will be smoother than android on the S4, but it definitely won't be better spec wise. The trend is always this; android flagships always have better specs than than the current flagship iPhone, but the iPhone still runs "smoother".

We'll to be fair though the S3 is a 1.5 dual in the US and the iPhone 5 is a 1.3 dual. They are pretty close and the fact that iPhone is faster when using apps, streaming, surfing, etc proves that specs don't make the phone.
The iPhone 5S will probably have a slightly lower processor speed but still be the faster phone in comparison to the S4.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
I dislike plastic, and the Android OS, not to mention the wider size. I will always stay with the iphone unless Apple goes too wide, than I'll keep the iphone 5S when released until it falls apart, and hope Apple will at least keep a 4 incher or 4.3 incher using the same current form factor. ;) :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.