Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:48 PM   #1
KingShoot007
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Starfleet Academy
New iPod Nano?

So,the 7th gen Nano is great..for some people.Compared to the 5th gen it seems to lack the most basic features.I know that the 5th gen has games and notes and calendar(which the 7th gen oddly doesnt have).

So,does anyone know what will the new iPod Nano bring us,and will it be comming in October alongside the iPhone 6 and iPod Touch 6?

Or maybe they kill it

Last edited by KingShoot007; Aug 20, 2013 at 07:38 AM.
KingShoot007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:28 PM   #2
12vElectronics
macrumors 68020
 
12vElectronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Western United States
Most have reported minor changes, mostly to the UI. We'll see. I need a nano bad (bored of my shuffle for my exercise).
__________________
I own these Apple products:
iPhone 6+, iPod Video 5th gen, iPod Nano 7th gen, iPod Shuffle 4th gen, iPad Mini 1st gen.
12vElectronics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 05:29 PM   #3
bhags8
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Why exactly does it suck? I've never had a nano or an iPod recently. What's the problem with the nano? I was thinking about purchasing one for $100. I think it looks sharp. The slate color that is. Should I not buy one?
bhags8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 06:03 PM   #4
12vElectronics
macrumors 68020
 
12vElectronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Western United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhags8 View Post
Why exactly does it suck? I've never had a nano or an iPod recently. What's the problem with the nano? I was thinking about purchasing one for $100. I think it looks sharp. The slate color that is. Should I not buy one?
I'd buy one. I don't see any problem with it.
__________________
I own these Apple products:
iPhone 6+, iPod Video 5th gen, iPod Nano 7th gen, iPod Shuffle 4th gen, iPad Mini 1st gen.
12vElectronics is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 06:47 PM   #5
bhags8
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Is there rumors of a new nano being released this year?
bhags8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 05:15 AM   #6
pumazooma
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhags8 View Post
Is there rumors of a new nano being released this year?
Only in so much as there's a new one every year and it's almost that time again. It's not likely to be a big redesign though as that happened last year.
Big change, small change, big change, small change.....
pumazooma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:18 AM   #7
JackieInCo
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Colorado
I think this year or next year is the last of any iPods.

I did buy last years iPod although I barely use it, I think its been almost a year since I used it. I charged the battery a few months ago and haven't touched it since. I have a 160GB Classic that I use every day in the car. I would love to see an update on that more than anything.
JackieInCo is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:55 AM   #8
akatsuki
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieInCo View Post
I think this year or next year is the last of any iPods.

I did buy last years iPod although I barely use it, I think its been almost a year since I used it. I charged the battery a few months ago and haven't touched it since. I have a 160GB Classic that I use every day in the car. I would love to see an update on that more than anything.
The only reason I have an iPod is for running since I don't want to run with my phone which is just too big. The 6th gen was the best iPod for sport but now using it less and less - because I have moved to Spotify.
akatsuki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 04:39 PM   #9
pumazooma
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
I too hope they don't scrap the ipod completely. I don't want to fill my phone up with music. That means less space for apps etc or you have to compromise or you have to pay for more storage that you might not want to do.

It's wonderfully small, light, and simple and does exactly what it needs to do. I don't want to have to carry a relatively heavy phone to do the same job.
pumazooma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 04:45 PM   #10
Carlanga
macrumors 603
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PR
I like my 6G, great for listening to music on longer trips and I wear it as a watch a few times a month.

7G will be the iWatch, so don't expect anything new for this upcoming september.
__________________
☻ "A dream you dream alone is only a dream...
... A dream you dream together is reality." ☻
Carlanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 05:25 PM   #11
H01D3N
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShoot007 View Post
So,the 7th gen Nano is great...it is if you are a idiot.Compared to the 5th gen it sucks.I know that the 5th gen has games and notes and calendar(which the 7th gen oddly doesnt have).

So,does anyone know what will the new iPod Nano bring us,and will it be comming in October alongside the iPhone 6 and iPod Touch 6?

Or maybe they kill it
Alright, first of all, the new iPod nano doesn't suck. You are completely forgetting the fact that the iPod nano is the thinnest and the lightest iPod ever. Second, did the 5th gen have a multi touch display? Did it have Bluetooth 4.0? Did it have the high speed all digital lightening port? I don't think that they will kill the iPod nano, because there is a huge market for it. I do not think that they will update it though, as it tends to only be updated every other year.
__________________
iPod: Nano 2G, Nano 3G, Nano 6G, Nano 7G
iPhone: 3G, 4S
iPad: iPad 2, WiFi
H01D3N is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:08 PM   #12
bhags8
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I bought one but returned it once I found out you can only use the radio with the headphones. I wanted to use it with my jambox via Bluetooth but radio won't work without the headphones.
bhags8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:08 AM   #13
12vElectronics
macrumors 68020
 
12vElectronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Western United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhags8 View Post
I bought one but returned it once I found out you can only use the radio with the headphones. I wanted to use it with my jambox via Bluetooth but radio won't work without the headphones.
Yeah I believe the antenna is in the headphones.
__________________
I own these Apple products:
iPhone 6+, iPod Video 5th gen, iPod Nano 7th gen, iPod Shuffle 4th gen, iPad Mini 1st gen.
12vElectronics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 09:46 AM   #14
speedyraf
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
The shape, size and touch screen of the current iPod nano appeal to me. However, I use my 5th gen iPod's features (contacts, calendar and notes) daily. It's a nice bridge between the iPod shuffle and iPod touch in my opinion. Perhaps Apple could combine the size of the nano with a few of the features of the iPod Touch for the same price? I'd think seriously about buying it in that case.
speedyraf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 01:52 PM   #15
Tivrapasit
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
I love the last iPod nano! I think the features or the older versions aren't even necessary, but I guess they could be to some people. I only use for listening to music, so it's more or less the only thing I expect it to do. I really like the fact that it is so simple.

The changes I would very much like to see in the 8th generation are:
- a 32 GB version
- iOS 7 style UI
- more battery?
- maybe that the white part would actually match the iPod's colour, like for the black one. This is just a detail though.
- a better sound card!! I think this would be the best update ever. Since it's made to play music, it would be more than appreciated to play it even better. I would't want to buy one of those portable DACs. Plus you could actually take advantage of nice headphones, or even plug it to a HIFI system if you wanted to!
Tivrapasit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 05:40 PM   #16
kaielement
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
I think people miss the point of what the nano is meant for but oh well I still love my 6th gen nano and hope that apple comes out with the iwatch soon
__________________
2012 11" MacBook Air, 2007 White MacBook, 16gb iPhone 6, 32gb iPad Air, 160gb iPod Classic, 8gb 6th Gen Nano, 20gb 2nd Gen iPod, 40gb 3rd Gen iPod
kaielement is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:54 PM   #17
12vElectronics
macrumors 68020
 
12vElectronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Western United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivrapasit View Post
I love the last iPod nano! I think the features or the older versions aren't even necessary, but I guess they could be to some people. I only use for listening to music, so it's more or less the only thing I expect it to do. I really like the fact that it is so simple.

The changes I would very much like to see in the 8th generation are:
- a 32 GB version
- iOS 7 style UI
- more battery?
- maybe that the white part would actually match the iPod's colour, like for the black one. This is just a detail though.
- a better sound card!! I think this would be the best update ever. Since it's made to play music, it would be more than appreciated to play it even better. I would't want to buy one of those portable DACs. Plus you could actually take advantage of nice headphones, or even plug it to a HIFI system if you wanted to!
Better sound would be great.. Sadly I feel we're in the minority
__________________
I own these Apple products:
iPhone 6+, iPod Video 5th gen, iPod Nano 7th gen, iPod Shuffle 4th gen, iPad Mini 1st gen.
12vElectronics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:43 AM   #18
dXTC
macrumors 68000
 
dXTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Up, up in my studio, studio
I own two 5G nanos, and like many others here I prefer it over all the other nano versions. I use them as my main music playback devices, despite having an iPhone. Even so, the 7th gen (the latest as of this writing) was a "return to form" of sorts; the only features the 5G has over the 7G are the built-in speaker, the video camera, and the no-look operation of the click wheel.

Like Tivrapasit, I too would like to see 32 Gb and a better DAC in Apple's next nano. The DAC part I could see happening; the 32 Gb, probably not, but we all can dream.

And like JackieInCo, I could be more intrigued by an updated iPod classic, preferably with 128 or 256 Gb SSD instead of a disc-based hard drive. Make that available in colors, and I'd probably get that over the nano-- I'd love to have my entire music library with me, but the whole spinning-disc thing has me hesitant about getting it.
__________________
dXTC
stuff: iMac 21.5" i3 MBP 17" Two 5g iPod nanos iMac G4 and more
...geeve to me LAAAHRGE keess!
dXTC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:20 AM   #19
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieInCo View Post
I think this year or next year is the last of any iPods.
...
Why? As long as Apple is making a profit on them they will continue to sell them. Also, parents might buy their younger kids an iPod touch but they won't buy them iPhones. There is a market for iPods that is seperate and distinct from iPhones and iPads.

Also, in some work environments, you could have an iPod classic with you, but not any iOS device with a camera or any sort of radio signal. In this sense, Apple missed the boat with the 16GB 5th gen iPod touch - there should have been no Facetime camera either which would have allowed it in places that don't allow cameras, but don't care about radio signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dXTC View Post
...
And like JackieInCo, I could be more intrigued by an updated iPod classic, preferably with 128 or 256 Gb SSD instead of a disc-based hard drive. Make that available in colors, and I'd probably get that over the nano-- I'd love to have my entire music library with me, but the whole spinning-disc thing has me hesitant about getting it.
What about an iPod touch with 128GB? Would that work for you, because I think we will see that if not this year, then next year.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:49 AM   #20
dXTC
macrumors 68000
 
dXTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Up, up in my studio, studio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Why? As long as Apple is making a profit on them they will continue to sell them. Also, parents might buy their younger kids an iPod touch but they won't buy them iPhones. There is a market for iPods that is seperate and distinct from iPhones and iPads.

Also, in some work environments, you could have an iPod classic with you, but not any iOS device with a camera or any sort of radio signal. In this sense, Apple missed the boat with the 16GB 5th gen iPod touch - there should have been no Facetime camera either which would have allowed it in places that don't allow cameras, but don't care about radio signals.

...

What about an iPod touch with 128GB? Would that work for you, because I think we will see that if not this year, then next year.
(emphasis mine, as this part was a reply to my earlier comment)

Bear, the answer to your question toward me lies partially in your response to JackieInCo in the first part of your post. There is indeed a market for iPods that are distinct from iPhones and iPads; iPods serve people who cannot bring camera- or radio-enabled devices to places where they would like to listen to music, be it at work or at many gyms.

The other part lies in the no-look operation of the click wheel. Call me old-fashioned, but I find the Click Wheel more responsive and intuitive than a rather fragile in-line control button module. I do well over 80% of my iPod-related actions in a typical day without looking, which is important while driving a car or being in certain crowded public places where an Apple product is more likely to be stolen.
__________________
dXTC
stuff: iMac 21.5" i3 MBP 17" Two 5g iPod nanos iMac G4 and more
...geeve to me LAAAHRGE keess!
dXTC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 07:36 AM   #21
KingShoot007
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Starfleet Academy
Quote:
Originally Posted by H01D3N View Post
Alright, first of all, the new iPod nano doesn't suck. You are completely forgetting the fact that the iPod nano is the thinnest and the lightest iPod ever. Second, did the 5th gen have a multi touch display? Did it have Bluetooth 4.0? Did it have the high speed all digital lightening port? I don't think that they will kill the iPod nano, because there is a huge market for it. I do not think that they will update it though, as it tends to only be updated every other year.
Back in 2009 there was no Lightning connector,devices were bigger,and iPods were updated with big things every year.

Apple has abandoned its iconic device in favor for more money from the iOS devices.

The 7th get may have all this things you say,but think about this:What kind of a modern device doesnt have a calendar :P

----------

If the 8g Nano comes,i would like to see this;

-32GB

-GAMES

-All the apps that were on the Click Wheel Nanos:Alarm,Notes,Clock,Calendar...

-Better battery

-HD Display
KingShoot007 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:51 AM   #22
td1439
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boston-ish
I got a 7th gen for my birthday last year and I love it. I was never into the little square style, myself. I use mine for working out and I found an awesome armband/case combo which protects it nicely (it even came with a screen protector). It's small, light, and great for what I need it to do.

Why would I want games, notes, or a calendar on a music player? The Nano is meant to play music/radio/podcasts, and it does that simply and well. If you need a lot of functionality, why not get a Touch or iPhone? (Although I will agree that an alarm should be included as part of the clock function.)

The only thing I would change about it is the ability to load custom wallpapers, and that's a minor nit at best.
__________________
iPhone 5S 16gb - iPad Air 16gb - iPod Nano7
td1439 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 07:50 AM   #23
KingShoot007
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Starfleet Academy
Quote:
Originally Posted by td1439 View Post
I got a 7th gen for my birthday last year and I love it. I was never into the little square style, myself. I use mine for working out and I found an awesome armband/case combo which protects it nicely (it even came with a screen protector). It's small, light, and great for what I need it to do.

Why would I want games, notes, or a calendar on a music player? The Nano is meant to play music/radio/podcasts, and it does that simply and well. If you need a lot of functionality, why not get a Touch or iPhone? (Although I will agree that an alarm should be included as part of the clock function.)

The only thing I would change about it is the ability to load custom wallpapers, and that's a minor nit at best.
You didnt have any of the previous iPods,such as the video iPod or iPod Mini didnt you?

I have an iPhone and iTouch but i want that on the Nano.If it was on 5 generation of nanos,why cant it be here now?
KingShoot007 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 06:24 PM   #24
td1439
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boston-ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShoot007 View Post
You didnt have any of the previous iPods,such as the video iPod or iPod Mini didnt you?

I have an iPhone and iTouch but i want that on the Nano.If it was on 5 generation of nanos,why cant it be here now?
I had a Mini for quite some time. I really only used it to play music. I'm not trying to say what other people should or shouldn't want on an iPod, just that for my own usage, I don't need that stuff.
__________________
iPhone 5S 16gb - iPad Air 16gb - iPod Nano7
td1439 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 07:23 PM   #25
H01D3N
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vElectronics View Post
Yeah I believe the antenna is in the headphones.
I think that the antenna is actually in the headphone port, because it tends to work with headphones other than the earpods.
__________________
iPod: Nano 2G, Nano 3G, Nano 6G, Nano 7G
iPhone: 3G, 4S
iPad: iPad 2, WiFi
H01D3N is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Announces 4-Inch iPod Touch, Multitouch iPod Nano MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 212 Oct 21, 2012 03:15 PM
New iPod Touch and iPod Nano Begin Shipping, Photos and Benchmarks Posted MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 119 Oct 16, 2012 01:47 PM
ipod nano first gen recall (trade up for new nano)? RidgeRacerType4 iPod 4 Oct 7, 2012 01:09 AM
Is the iPod nano, iPod shuffle and the iPod Classic dead? Retina MacBook iPod 3 Jul 22, 2012 04:36 AM
iPad mini similar to the "fat" nano? (3rd gen iPod nano) leukotriene iPad 2 Jul 7, 2012 12:44 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC