Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edenbensal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Hello,
I want sell my pc and buy a new mac mini. I saw in apple website that there is a tool thats transfer all files from the old pc to the new mac. Because im selling my pc before i buy the mac i will need to backup all my files. The important thing for me is the itunes library. If i will backup itunes library on external hdd (ntfs) i will be able to transfer the library to mac? Im asking this because i know thats the mac os x file system working differently from windows file system.

itunes library important files:
iTunes Library.itl iTunes Library.xml

-this files can be read in os x?

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Hello,
I want sell my pc and buy a new mac mini. I saw in apple website there is a tool thats transfer all files from the old pc to the new mac. Because im selling my pc before i buy the mac i will need to back all my files. The important thing for me is the itunes library. If i will backup itunes library on external hdd (ntfs) i will be able to transfer the library to mac? Im asking this because i know thats the mac os x file system working differently from windows file system.

You'd be better off formatting the drive to ex fat before putting your tunes on it.

----------

Sorry misread your post. Use fat32 format rather than ntfs. There are tools to add read write comparability but I wouldn't trust them when it comes to iTunes data management.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.