Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:02 AM   #1
Cloud10
macrumors newbie

USB 2.0 on powerbook - not enough power

I'm a brand new MAC convert and I have to say I LOVE IT. But here's my problem. I have three FIRELITE USB drives from my PC that I obviously would prefer not to replace. My USB port on my 17" powerbook does not supply enough power to run even one of them. I have a USB hub that I am using (have to plug it into AC) but it's not a great solution. For one thing, the AC adapter on the hub weighs more than my Powerbook! Anyone know if I can get a USB hub that plugs into the FIREWIRE port on the computer so I can get enough power without an AC adapter?
Cloud10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:17 AM   #2
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

You can't trick the OS with a USB hub, the OS will probably turn off the port if it is set up as a high draw hub and isn't plugged into an AC outlet.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:32 AM   #3
ericssonboi
macrumors 6502

My suggestion would be to get another USB hub.. they're so cheap these days... just make sure its powered and portable enough.
ericssonboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs