Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stryker295

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
NC
While back I had Windows XP running on a Dell laptop and was able to (after some hassles) get a PS3 controller working on it, with motion included. (I use GlovePIE.)

Then awhile back I was given a MBA and have recently gotten around to installing Windows 7 via bootcamp. Unfortunately, the program(s) I'd been using before to use the controller are... not available for Windows 7. I spent several days searching how to fix this problem and it seems the fact that I'm in bootcamp only makes it worse.

At this point I'm fine not to have a BlueTooth connection, I just want to hook up this stupid controller, even if it's over USB, but for the life of me I cannot get it to work.

I've tried at least eight different drivers today alone, and several different versions of MotionInJoy, and nothing's working. MIJ looks like crap and even if I did get it working I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with GlovePIE, which is the main focus here.

If anyone has any tips on places I should look for help, or even knows how to do this, well suffice to say I won't be able to thank you enough if you do help me.

(If I've left out some critical detail, like that I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, then by all means ask, and I can provide you with whatever information you need. Thanks in advance.)

----------

Just to clarify some things for those of you who might think I haven't done any research: what I've found so far is that if I was running XP or was doing this on a windows computer, I would be able to get normal functionality minus the motion control.

If that's the best I can get, just the buttons and joysticks, that's okay, but if there's a way to use all the features, including the bluetooth, that'd be pretty sweet as well. :)

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Given all the hassle this has been you might want to consider spending for a Logitech controller. They are not expensive and they just work - in OS X and in Windows. You can easily switch between Direct Input and X-Input for compatibility with everything, everywhere. The only catch and it is a little one is that when you switch modes, you must unplug and then replug the USB controller in so it is recognized correctly.

I use the Logitech F-510 and it works like a charm on my iMac in both OS X and in Windows 7 64 bit with bootcamp. I am currently playing Flatout: Ultimate Carnage with this controller in bootcamp and it works beautifully.

I think I read somewhere Logitech isn't going to make controllers anymore but I forget where. I know I still see them for sale on Amazon.com though. I was thinking of buying a spare for future use. That's why I was looking.

You do not need to bother with the disc it comes with either. Just plug it in, Windows detects it and it just works. I love stuff that just works, don't you? It's worth the money because I'd much rather spend my valuable time having fun rather than screwing with drivers, problems, etc.

Anyway, that's just my advice for what it is worth. I'm sorry I have no ideas to offer about the PS3 controller as I don't own one.

Stryker295

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
NC
Given all the hassle this has been you might want to consider spending for a Logitech controller.
:/ That kinda defeats the whole purpose here.

If there's a logitech controler that has dual analog stick that are also buttons, dual analog triggers and analog shoulder bumpers, and two sets of analog buttons like the d-pad/square-circle-cross-triangle, and integrated motion controls, that's great, I might get one.

That said, I bought the PS3 controller specifically because it had those things (motion, pressure sensitivity on all the major buttons, and was wireless) so since I've already paid for it and have no other use for it I'd really rather find a way to make it work rather than just buying something else.

Thanks, though. I actually have a few logitech controllers that my bro gave me but they're nowhere near as good.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
:/ That kinda defeats the whole purpose here.

If there's a logitech controler that has dual analog stick that are also buttons, dual analog triggers and analog shoulder bumpers, and two sets of analog buttons like the d-pad/square-circle-cross-triangle, and integrated motion controls, that's great, I might get one.

That said, I bought the PS3 controller specifically because it had those things (motion, pressure sensitivity on all the major buttons, and was wireless) so since I've already paid for it and have no other use for it I'd really rather find a way to make it work rather than just buying something else.

Thanks, though. I actually have a few logitech controllers that my bro gave me but they're nowhere near as good.

The Logitech controllers are modeled after the PS2/PS3 design and have the same layout of buttons, etc.

To each their own. Good luck getting it to work. I hope that ultimately works out for you.

Stryker295

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
NC
The Logitech controllers are modeled after the PS2/PS3 design and have the same layout of buttons, etc.

To each their own. Good luck getting it to work. I hope that ultimately works out for you.

I might just try and sell my SixAxis on eBay and but a Logitech then... :/

bushidounohana

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
St. Louis, MO (USA)
Have you tried the SCP DS3 Driver Package? I found it through some of my emulation endeavors (the link actually points to a PCSX2 thread where you can download the software). Works like a charm for me, bluetooth or wired! It's open source, one time install, none of the Motion-in-Joy flakiness.

Hope that helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.