Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
With the screen spanning "hack" I would have thought so.

Without the hack no, it can only support mirroring (so 1024x768).

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
robbieduncan said:
With the screen spanning "hack" I would have thought so.

Without the hack no, it can only support mirroring (so 1024x768).

Even with the spanning hack, to drive ACD, you will need to purchase VGA to DVI converter. They cost quite a bit the last time I checked, at least a couple of hundred bucks. Cheaper option is to purchase non-Apple display such as Dell that includes VGA input. Of course, quality via VGA is not as clear as DVI.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
nutmac said:
Even with the spanning hack, to drive ACD, you will need to purchase VGA to DVI converter. They cost quite a bit the last time I checked, at least a couple of hundred bucks. Cheaper option is to purchase non-Apple display such as Dell that includes VGA input. Of course, quality via VGA is not as clear as DVI.

Good catch. I forgot that ADC displays are DVI-D only.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
nutmac said:

DVI - VGA adapters are about 10 Euro - where do you live where they cost a couple of hundred :cool:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
MacRumorUser said:
DVI - VGA adapters are about 10 Euro - where do you live where they cost a couple of hundred :cool:

DVI to VGA may be as low as $10. But VGA to DVI are in the hundreds.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
nutmac said:
DVI to VGA may be as low as $10. But VGA to DVI are in the hundreds.

The reason for this is obvious when you stop and think. Graphics cards have DVI-I connectors so they have DVI and full VGA on one connector so the convertor is basically just straight through. To go from VGA to DVI you need to lock onto the VGA clock, extract the pixel signal then re-encode to digital and transmit via a TDMS. i.e. expensive!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.