Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
Why does everyone seem to be assuming that the plastic iPhone (if real) will be a cheaper version of the iPhone instead of an outright replacement?
After all the original iPhone was aluminium then the 3G and 3GS that followed were plastic-bodied. That design was slightly thicker than the original too.

Apple's design ethic in iOS 7 is too different from the glossiness, chamfered edges and chrome lines of the iPhone 5 (or potential 5S) for it to make sense releasing them as one package. But this move would certainly help Apple to cut costs if nothing else.
From what I've seen I think I'll like this design when it's finally out (provided the screen is black on the white-backed model).

Last edited:

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
No offense, but if the iPhone 5S is a thicker phone made of plastic it may be the final straw that pushes me to Android. It would be a major step back from the cutting edge, premium feel of the iPhone 5.
Plus with all the leaked colors of the plastic iPhone I've never seen black, I don't believe that they would stop making a black iPhone.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
I think it cannot happen. the low cost is the way apple is thinking for getting rid of old pin connector and earning more money from the lighting adapters and new related devices

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Been away for a bit and don't know what I missed but...

People assume a plastic phone to compete, in price, vs Samsung, and maybe quicker release since manufacturing plastic case is quicker/easier assembly.

Initially there was a rumor this plastic phone is for China/third world only since they can't spend as much as we Westerners, so I don't know where is plastic thing for the Western world came from, but if it comes, I'd bet there will be a classic, more expensive metal version and a cheaper plastic version. Let your wallet speak.

Will you go for a plastic version if $100 cheaper? same functionality.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
That would be akin to Apple giving up what it's good at to chase after a crowded market. While nothing is impossible, I don't think Tim Cook is going to jump the shark to chase marketshare (at-least in 2013)...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The fact that we have seen what seems to be a 5S chassis leak, complete with dual led flash is decent evidence not to assume that all we are getting is a plastic phone.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Rather than trying to sell a cheaper phone to the Chinese, Apple should optimize special versions of IOS, say the Chinese version to make Chinese characters input and display easier and intuitive, so now they got a "special" product. To win heart and mind and able to charge a premium, u got to make a product that DELIGHTS the customer that your competitors aren't doing.

So far I believe all OS are based on roman characters and they just do a straight translation to other. Is like trying to eat steak with chopsticks.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

I actually would, assuming the aluminum is the same is it was in the 5. Bends too easily, scratches too easily, I don't like it. I put a case on it so I may as well save $100 if I have to out a case in the next one anyway! Now had you asked this question about the 4/4s I would have gone with the premium glass/aluminum over glass/plastic any day of the week.

Macneck

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012

I definitely would. However I can't see Apple producing the very same phone with plastic and metal. The cheaper one always goes behind in several specs.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Why does everyone seem to be assuming that the plastic iPhone (if real) will be a cheaper version of the iPhone instead of an outright replacement?
After all the original iPhone was aluminium then the 3G and 3GS that followed were plastic-bodied. That design was slightly thicker than the original too.

Apple's design ethic in iOS 7 is too different from the glossiness, chamfered edges and chrome lines of the iPhone 5 (or potential 5S) for it to make sense releasing them as one package. But this move would certainly help Apple to cut costs if nothing else.
From what I've seen I think I'll like this design when it's finally out (provided the screen is black on the white-backed model).

Interesting idea, but I don't think the rumored 5C will be the replacement of the 5. APPLE will keep their cutting-edge technology for their flagship phone. The rumored 5C, is speculated to be specifically aimed at the pre-paid consumer, which is a huge market, especially in the 'brics' economies, that have an even greater potential.

Right now, APPLE simply can not compete there, against the onslaught of much lower priced ANDROID devices. APPLE quality and ecosystem in a slightly less prestigious and scaled-down version of the flagship iPhone, with by-and-large the same functionality, at a ~25-30% lower price point, for the slightly less well-heeled amongst us. I admit, that's a mouthful!

It's a win-win for APPLE! If they price this aggressively, and I mean, no more than $450 for a 16GB version, without contract, of course, the slightly lower margin will be more than made up for, by sheer volume.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Apple aren't idiots. They're not going to reduce their flagship mobile phone to plastic. Apple is a premium company and their products are premium. Any plastic iPhone will be a cheaper alternative to the flagship iPhone.

----------

Interesting idea, but I don't think the rumored 5C will be the replacement of the 5. APPLE will keep their cutting-edge technology for their flagship phone. The rumored 5C, is speculated to be specifically aimed at the pre-paid consumer, which is a huge market, especially in the 'brics' economies, that have an even greater potential.

Right now, APPLE simply can not compete there, against the onslaught of much lower priced ANDROID devices. APPLE quality and ecosystem in a slightly less prestigious and scaled-down version of the flagship iPhone, with by-and-large the same functionality, at a ~25-30% lower price point, for the slightly less well-heeled amongst us. I admit, that's a mouthful!

It's a win-win for APPLE! If they price this aggressively, and I mean, no more than $450 for a 16GB version, without contract, of course, the slightly lower margin will be more than made up for, by sheer volume.

Why do you write APPLE in capitals?

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
Plastic phone after the iphone 4 and 5 will be the biggest mistake for apple :D. And like @JarScott said apple is a premium company which is making premium products :rolleyes:

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Another advantage of going away from selling a 2 year old version of their phone as the "cheap" phone is technology changes. Based on the last few years, it would be at least another year until they dropped the last phone that doesn't support LTE.

Also, with all the additional frequencies that are coming into use, older phones are limited in usefulness. An entry level phone with this year's frequencies is more useful.

Just think of the prepaid in the US. The 4S probably doesn't have all the frequencies for companies here. Leap. Cricket. They get bought by the bigger companies, but have their own technologies. Even TMobile has their frequencies that required a newer rev of the 5 for full support.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Only in AppleLand is their such a phobia over plastic.

Only in AppleLand is hypocrisy worshipped.

It's interesting how we all thought the iPhone 3Gs was terrific, which I certainly did. My 3Gs wasn't inferior just because it was plastic.

I happen to like the look of the upcoming plastic I phone a lot. I hate how delicate my aluminum iPhone 5 is.

Just goes to show that not everyone here lives in denial, or AppleLand even though we buy Apple products.

Nor do we all suck up & defend Apple as though they're perfect, cause they're not.

Are they capable? Absolutely!

But when the worshippers will take anything and rave over it, they empower Apple to dominate them.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Only in AppleLand is their such a phobia over plastic.

Only in AppleLand is hypocrisy worshipped.

It's interesting how we all thought the iPhone 3Gs was terrific, which I certainly did. My 3Gs wasn't inferior just because it was plastic.

I happen to like the look of the upcoming plastic I phone a lot. I hate how delicate my aluminum iPhone 5 is.

Just goes to show that not everyone here lives in denial, or AppleLand even though we buy Apple products.

Nor do we all suck up & defend Apple as though they're perfect, cause they're not.

Are they capable? Absolutely!

But when the worshippers will take anything and rave over it, they empower Apple to dominate them.

I hated that Apple changed from aluminum to plastic when the 3G came out. I will admit the plastic felt of high quality( but cracked at the dock connector due to use), but it doesn't mean I liked it. I understood the reason for it( improves signal strength), but still hated it.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
The current build quality is widely considered as a premium feature. It is a strong, differentiating factor Apple would not want to lose on a high end phone, so in my opinion they will keep producing it in the next generations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.