Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mahmud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Greetings !!

I have MacBook Pro 4,1, 17-Inch, Early 2008. I have been using this mac since 2010 and it was perfect, never had any serious problem. :)

Recently, it has started this strange problem. It works fine for shutdown and stops working if i restart/sleep/close the lid. It goes straight to sleep mode and doesn't start. :confused:

And once it goes to sleep mode, there is no way of waking up. The same problem happens if i click "Restart" the computer, or close the lid. It doesn't turn on, it shows black screen, no chime sound, no keyboard light. Only fan and DVD get the power i suppose. Every time i will have to "shutdown" the computer properly, otherwise it won't start next time. So, now the question is how do turn the mac on next time ??

Well, i leave it for 2/3 hours, then it heats up like hell and then i press the power button, and it turns on again. Again it works until i click "restart" or it goes to sleep mode. I know it could be the well-known nVidia problem that early mac 2008 has. But Apple Store said it doesn't have any nVidia problem, also it doesn't have that warranty period to change the logic board.
:(

What kind of problem is this, that works fine for shutdown and stops working if i restart/sleep/close the lid ??? :(

And every time it has this problem i need to fry my laptop !!!

Anybody, any help will be appreciated.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Seems like a logic board issue. At this point repairing it might cost a little since parts for this specific Mac are well, no readily available.

I rarely give out the following advice, but have you:

• Reset pRAM
  • Checked disk permissions
  • Reset SMC settings
  • Run Apple Hardware Diagnostic tests

Any of those might help figure your issue for certain.

mahmud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Seems like a logic board issue. At this point repairing it might cost a little since parts for this specific Mac are well, no readily available.

• Reset pRAM
  • Reset SMC settings

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.. feeling rescued already. :)

1. But i tried this resetting PRAM stuff, didn't work. :(
2. I am not sure about disk permissions, but how to do this ??
3. Already ran SMC settings, didn't work. :(
4. It's MBP 4,1 Early 2008, I don't think it has this Hardware Testing. I tried CMD + D, F2, didn't work.

Thank you again for your reply..

mahmud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Dhaka, Bangladesh

• Reset pRAM
  • Reset SMC settings

I repaired the disk permissions. :eek:

I don't know what to say.. but i think it worked :D
I mean I clicked on restart and sleep, and then i closed the lid.. and still my MBP powered on without frying it, which was not possible for more than 6 months. ;)

It's too early to say but i think it worked, let's see... what do you think ?? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.