Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayJamesWaller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Swansea, Wales
Hey there MacRumors! I was just interested to know whether it will be possible to upgrade from the GM release of iOS7 to the actual public version? Basically I'm asking this because my iPhone is not on a contract, and as such I have been wanting to change my network. However because I have been on a Beta, inserting a different SIM card basically makes the phone unusable (and unfortunately no I'm not a registered developer, apologies to those that this offends). So long story short, will I be able to switch my network/carrier on GM or will I have to find a way to get off the betas and download the public release? :)

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Since the GM is usually the exact same build as the public release, there will be no need to upgrade and you won't be notified of an update. If Apple changes something, they'll release a new build and you'll be notified that there's an update.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Since the GM is usually the exact same build as the public release, there will be no need to upgrade and you won't be notified of an update. If Apple changes something, they'll release a new build and you'll be notified that there's an update.

+1

GM has always been the same as public release in the past.

GM will drop on the day the new iPhone is released (Sept 10), or a few days shortly thereafter. Public release will be about a week after the iPhone event, and new iPhones will ship 1-2 weeks after the iPhone event.

JayJamesWaller

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Swansea, Wales

Thanks guys, that was very helpful! I'll wait till the GM release before I switch carriers, :)

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
There's only been one time where the GM was different from the public release (sort of). There was a WiFi bug on the iPad with the iOS 4.2 GM forcing Apple to release a second GM of 4.2. The update was then released as iOS 4.2.1.

frito1224

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
oklahoma
I had downloaded ios5 gm before the public release and i couldn't access the newsstand store i had to update to the public release to be able to use it

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I had downloaded ios5 gm before the public release and i couldn't access the newsstand store i had to update to the public release to be able to use it

The iOS 5 GM was exactly the same as the final release so you didn't receive an OTA update. It was likely a server-side issue which you might've been able to fix by resetting your settings or rebooting.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
There's only been one time where the GM was different from the public release (sort of). There was a WiFi bug on the iPad with the iOS 4.2 GM forcing Apple to release a second GM of 4.2. The update was then released as iOS 4.2.1.

Twice. The GM release of 4.0 had game centre. The actual release didnt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.