Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:04 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Chinese Woman Suffers Eye Injuries After iPhone 5 Explodes

According to a report from Chinese news outlet Da Lian Evening News [Google Translate] (via ZDNet), a woman in China suffered eye injuries from her iPhone 5 after it exploded while she was on the phone.

The woman reportedly felt the device's screen become warm after talking for 40 minutes, and eventually it combusted after she tried numerous times to end the call by tapping on the screen. The explosion sent particles of the phone into her eyes and she was rushed to the hospital, where she was eventually treated. Previously, the woman stated that she had dropped the phone once which left a small crack in the upper right corner, but claims the phone was still useable.

Quote:
When she looked at the device to check it, Li then discovered the touchscreen was not responding when she tried to end the call. After a few more tries, the screen exploded.

Li said she felt some debris shooting into her eyes. "I could not open my eyes," she recalled. Her colleagues rushed her to the hospital where the doctor found her eyeball red and inflamed, and identified a scratch mark which suggested an object had scratched it.
An Apple representative has responded to the report and said that the incident would require further investigation and would not typically be covered under product warranty. Earlier this year, a Chinese man was left in a coma after receiving an electric shock while charging his iPhone 4, an incident which followed the death of a Chinese woman under similar circumstances. Both incidents apparently involved the use of unauthorized third-party adapters.

Apple has responded to the incidents by establishing a special page [Google Translate] to its Chinese website informing customers about the identification and use of genuine USB power adapters for the iPad and iPhone, as well as launching a third-party USB charger "Takeback Program" offering official replacement chargers for $10 to anyone who turns in a suspect adapter.

Article Link: Chinese Woman Suffers Eye Injuries After iPhone 5 Explodes
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 603

Just what china wanted! Apple will get burned big time for this!
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:06 PM   #3
GSPice
macrumors 68000

Why is it always the Chinese? I almost don't care about stories like this anymore.
GSPice is offline   46 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:07 PM   #4
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Whoa. Not looking good. And there were witnesses by the looks of it?
jonnysods is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:12 PM   #5
macbeta
macrumors newbie

Its Just Because its Apple

I'm willing to bet that many many accidents happen/caused by other manufactures phones, its just when it happens with an iPhone it gets pumped up by the media.
macbeta is offline   40 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:15 PM   #6
ffmed124
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbeta View Post
I'm willing to bet that many many accidents happen/caused by other manufactures phones, its just when it happens with an iPhone it gets pumped up by the media.

I call that statement BULL!
ffmed124 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:15 PM   #7
Ann P
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPice View Post
Why is it always the Chinese? I almost don't care about stories like this anymore.
You're kidding me...
Ann P is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:15 PM   #8
gnasher729
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
Just what china wanted! Apple will get burned big time for this!
According to the woman's own admission, she had dropped the phone before, which had left obvious damage on the screen. That's the first safety rule, don't use an electric device with obvious damage.
gnasher729 is offline   49 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:15 PM   #9
Mr D
macrumors regular

Exploding Galaxy s4.... exploding iPhones...

These corporations just playing dirty.
Mr D is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:15 PM   #10
MBHockey
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Yeah, because they aren't real people right?
MBHockey is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:19 PM   #11
frisken
macrumors newbie

I have to agree, it always seems to happen in China. I would say it's more akin to the fact that there are more counterfeit phones in China than in other countries, are the sources positive this was an authentic iPhone?
frisken is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:19 PM   #12
OriginalMacRat
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Because it has the highest concentration of fake iPhones and fake iPhone parts which have safety issues.
OriginalMacRat is offline   34 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:19 PM   #13
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
Yeah, because they aren't real people right?
I assume (I hope!) he meant, "why don't we hear about this kind of thing elsewhere?"
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:20 PM   #14
johnplacement
macrumors newbie

Yeah I know but it's happens.

It's happen like month ago I was charging my iPhone 4 I bought i like 3 years ago when they came the first iPhone 4 well anyways I burn my hand no kidding was really hot when i touch the screen seems the dock connector had a short circuit or something internal the speaker was totally melt also part of the motherboard turn sorta black but was working and still working for my surprise but everything was ok so I change the dock connector and the speakers.
johnplacement is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:20 PM   #15
HiRez
macrumors 601

If the phone was clearly damaged, which she already admitted to, it's going to be difficult to prove the phone was defective. When you drop a phone you really don't know what kind of internal damage there is, even if it appears to be working correctly. Then again, it's China, so who knows. Wouldn't be surprised to see the courts stick it to Apple just because they love to do that.

Of course, it could actually be a defective iPhone, just going to be hard to show that with the pre-existing damage.

I'd be curious to know if the phone was plugged in while she was using it, and what charger was attached if so.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:21 PM   #16
FirePhantom
macrumors member

"Previously, the woman stated that she had dropped the phone once which left a small crack in the upper right corner, but claims the phone was still useable."

No surprise that's where it "exploded".
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:22 PM   #17
JackieInCo
macrumors 68000

All bets are off on this one because the phone had been dropped. Anything can happen to a device once it's been dropped and shows signs of damage.
JackieInCo is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:28 PM   #18
mentholiptus
macrumors regular

If it were me, and my phone were overheating and not responding, I'd shut it off or do a hard reset, then shut it off. I also would have got a replacement phone or screen if I had dropped and damaged it. They sell a pretty decent warranty which affords two replacements from accidents.
mentholiptus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:28 PM   #19
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffmed124 View Post
I call that statement BULL!
Ok.

Why?
noisycats is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:29 PM   #20
glsillygili
macrumors 6502

what! its a phone your not supposed to talk to people on it. pssst idiots
glsillygili is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:30 PM   #21
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieInCo View Post
All bets are off on this one because the phone had been dropped. Anything can happen to a device once it's been dropped and shows signs of damage.
If the iPhone wouldn't use conducting metal.. ehm, wrong story, I mean fragile glass as screen, then the accident wouldn't have happened!11!!1!

"/s"

There'll be plenty of idi.. people blaming Apple for this anyway.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:31 PM   #22
dugbug
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post
Whoa. Not looking good. And there were witnesses by the looks of it?
Dude apple does not have an exploding iphone problem. Chinese lawyers have discovered their version of hot coffee
dugbug is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:32 PM   #23
tbrand7
macrumors 6502

Michael Bay would love these phones!
iPad Air- 128 GB, Celluar
tbrand7 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:32 PM   #24
Maverick1337
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Never did care from the beginning. Always foul play involved that caused the incidents.
Maverick1337 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:34 PM   #25
fubaracing7374
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentholiptus View Post
If it were me, and my phone were overheating and not responding, I'd shut it off or do a hard reset, then shut it off. I also would have got a replacement phone or screen if I had dropped and damaged it. They sell a pretty decent warranty which affords two replacements from accidents.
AppleCare is only offered in the States.
fubaracing7374 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion