Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a report from Chinese news outlet Da Lian Evening News [Google Translate] (via ZDNet), a woman in China suffered eye injuries from her iPhone 5 after it exploded while she was on the phone.

The woman reportedly felt the device's screen become warm after talking for 40 minutes, and eventually it combusted after she tried numerous times to end the call by tapping on the screen. The explosion sent particles of the phone into her eyes and she was rushed to the hospital, where she was eventually treated. Previously, the woman stated that she had dropped the phone once which left a small crack in the upper right corner, but claims the phone was still useable.

exploded_iphone.jpg
When she looked at the device to check it, Li then discovered the touchscreen was not responding when she tried to end the call. After a few more tries, the screen exploded.

Li said she felt some debris shooting into her eyes. "I could not open my eyes," she recalled. Her colleagues rushed her to the hospital where the doctor found her eyeball red and inflamed, and identified a scratch mark which suggested an object had scratched it.
An Apple representative has responded to the report and said that the incident would require further investigation and would not typically be covered under product warranty. Earlier this year, a Chinese man was left in a coma after receiving an electric shock while charging his iPhone 4, an incident which followed the death of a Chinese woman under similar circumstances. Both incidents apparently involved the use of unauthorized third-party adapters.

Apple has responded to the incidents by establishing a special page [Google Translate] to its Chinese website informing customers about the identification and use of genuine USB power adapters for the iPad and iPhone, as well as launching a third-party USB charger "Takeback Program" offering official replacement chargers for $10 to anyone who turns in a suspect adapter.

Article Link: Chinese Woman Suffers Eye Injuries After iPhone 5 Explodes

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Why is it always the Chinese? I almost don't care about stories like this anymore.

macbeta

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Its Just Because its Apple

I'm willing to bet that many many accidents happen/caused by other manufactures phones, its just when it happens with an iPhone it gets pumped up by the media.:apple:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Just what china wanted! Apple will get burned big time for this!

According to the woman's own admission, she had dropped the phone before, which had left obvious damage on the screen. That's the first safety rule, don't use an electric device with obvious damage.

Mr D

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
Exploding Galaxy s4.... exploding iPhones...

These corporations just playing dirty.

frisken

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2013
I have to agree, it always seems to happen in China. I would say it's more akin to the fact that there are more counterfeit phones in China than in other countries, are the sources positive this was an authentic iPhone?

johnplacement

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2013
Yeah I know but it's happens.

It's happen like month ago I was charging my iPhone 4 I bought i like 3 years ago when they came the first iPhone 4 well anyways I burn my hand no kidding was really hot when i touch the screen seems the dock connector had a short circuit or something internal the speaker was totally melt also part of the motherboard turn sorta black but was working and still working for my surprise but everything was ok so I change the dock connector and the speakers.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
If the phone was clearly damaged, which she already admitted to, it's going to be difficult to prove the phone was defective. When you drop a phone you really don't know what kind of internal damage there is, even if it appears to be working correctly. Then again, it's China, so who knows. Wouldn't be surprised to see the courts stick it to Apple just because they love to do that.

Of course, it could actually be a defective iPhone, just going to be hard to show that with the pre-existing damage.

I'd be curious to know if the phone was plugged in while she was using it, and what charger was attached if so.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
All bets are off on this one because the phone had been dropped. Anything can happen to a device once it's been dropped and shows signs of damage.

mentholiptus

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
If it were me, and my phone were overheating and not responding, I'd shut it off or do a hard reset, then shut it off. I also would have got a replacement phone or screen if I had dropped and damaged it. They sell a pretty decent warranty which affords two replacements from accidents.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
All bets are off on this one because the phone had been dropped. Anything can happen to a device once it's been dropped and shows signs of damage.

If the iPhone wouldn't use conducting metal.. ehm, wrong story, I mean fragile glass as screen, then the accident wouldn't have happened!11!!1!

"/s"

There'll be plenty of idi.. people blaming Apple for this anyway.

fubaracing7374

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
If it were me, and my phone were overheating and not responding, I'd shut it off or do a hard reset, then shut it off. I also would have got a replacement phone or screen if I had dropped and damaged it. They sell a pretty decent warranty which affords two replacements from accidents.

AppleCare is only offered in the States.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.