Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 11, 2013, 08:33 PM   #1
narutoninjakid
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Jersey
iPad 2 good Birthday gift for 55 year old?

For my dad's birthday in October I was looking to get him an iPad. He currently has an HP TouchPad that was on fire sale but he never uses it. He's really not too good with technology so I feel that an iPad would be much easier for him to use. I'm a sophomore in college so cash is really a factor and I was thinking about getting him an iPad 2 due to price. Do you guys think it's worth it or is the iPad 2 not going to be able to keep up with upcoming apps and programs (iOS 7). What do you guys think in terms of usability for the next 1-2 years?
narutoninjakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 08:47 PM   #2
Rodster
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2007
I'd personally wait for the announcement of the iPad 5. The iPad 2 may not get a whole lot more support in the future. Once your dad sees a retina screen it will be a slam dunk.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 09:01 PM   #3
12vElectronics
macrumors 68020
 
12vElectronics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Western United States
iPad 2 is still being made?
__________________
I own these Apple products:
iPhone 6+, iPod Video 5th gen, iPod Nano 7th gen, iPod Shuffle 4th gen, iPad Mini 1st gen.
12vElectronics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 09:08 PM   #4
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Im not sure how much easier or harder the iPad is to use than the HP tablet was, but a big question to ask is if he really has use for a tablet. What sort of things does he enjoy doing that an iPad could make easier or more fun?

My experience with my relatives my age (I'm 55) or older is they're not big on apps at all - they're barely aware they exist. It's web and email 90%. Some use it as an ereader as well.
__________________
nMP 6-core, D500, 32 GB, 1 TB rMBP 13" '13 2.4 gHz, 256 GB, 8GB iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Silver iPhone 5 64GB iPad Air 128
NewbieCanada is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Powrie
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
They might drop the Ipad 2 and only sell the 4 at a reduced price.

You may wanna wait till the 5 comes to see if they do something like that.
Powrie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 09:29 PM   #6
narutoninjakid
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Jersey
I will wait then his birthday is in October so they should be announced by then.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieCanada View Post
Im not sure how much easier or harder the iPad is to use than the HP tablet was, but a big question to ask is if he really has use for a tablet. What sort of things does he enjoy doing that an iPad could make easier or more fun?

My experience with my relatives my age (I'm 55) or older is they're not big on apps at all - they're barely aware they exist. It's web and email 90%. Some use it as an ereader as well.
I would say interface and such wifi and all settings is in one place. And apps only come from appstore and they appear on home screen. There's also no widgets and such so it's much more simplistic and easy to explain.
narutoninjakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 01:09 PM   #7
macpluslaptop
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
The point about whether your dad will use it or not is the real question - you don't want to give him an expensive paperweight. But would he appreciate seeing family photos and such on it? You could load it up with that kind of thing. You could teach him to use Facetime (available on ipad 3 and up) and connect with him that way, eventually. Remember that he will have to move into the future at some point, because he's got a lot of time left and these devices will become ubiquitous very soon. And there's an app for everything, so you might help him find some that will make his life more interesting or easier - news sites, timewasters, magazines (Sports Illustrated?).

It's not totally a function of age (I'm in his ballpark, and I've been a device geek since my first Timex Sinclair 1000). It's making him feel the learning curve is worth it. If you can get him past the put-it-aside stage, you might be doing him a big service.
macpluslaptop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 01:58 PM   #8
dan1eln1el5en
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
iPad 2, normal computer screen (DPI-wise) my experience, giving one to my mom (who had computer before) and my 86-year granddad is that they do not complain about "itchy-eyes" the Retina displays are so much nicer to look at than a normal screen.

I would recommend you to get him either iPad 3 or 4, the screen alone does it.
dan1eln1el5en is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 02:18 PM   #9
aPple nErd
macrumors 68020
 
aPple nErd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by macpluslaptop View Post
The point about whether your dad will use it or not is the real question - you don't want to give him an expensive paperweight. But would he appreciate seeing family photos and such on it? You could load it up with that kind of thing. You could teach him to use Facetime (available on ipad 3 and up) and connect with him that way, eventually. Remember that he will have to move into the future at some point, because he's got a lot of time left and these devices will become ubiquitous very soon. And there's an app for everything, so you might help him find some that will make his life more interesting or easier - news sites, timewasters, magazines (Sports Illustrated?).

It's not totally a function of age (I'm in his ballpark, and I've been a device geek since my first Timex Sinclair 1000). It's making him feel the learning curve is worth it. If you can get him past the put-it-aside stage, you might be doing him a big service.
Facetime is also on the 2...
__________________
iPhone 6 space grey, iPhone 5 White/Silver, iPod Tough 5 Blue, iPad 3 White, iPod Touch 4 White -- All Jailbroken
iMac Mid 2011 21.5"
aPple nErd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 05:58 PM   #10
charlituna
macrumors G3
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by narutoninjakid View Post
Do you guys think it's worth it or is the iPad 2 not going to be able to keep up with upcoming apps and programs (iOS 7). What do you guys think in terms of usability for the next 1-2 years?
1-2 years is not likely. You would be lucky with 1 year at this point.

I would say save up a bit more money and hold off on buying until the last minute. You will hopefully end up with something like the ipad 3 as the 'cheap' choice, reduced price on the ipad 4 cause a 5 is coming out or similar. and get the Apple Care Plus. so worth knowing that if he drops the dang thing it won't be a small fortune to replace it. Plus make sure he's on iCloud for backing up.
__________________
Return of the Non Tech's Wish List
(She's family so I'm biased )
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 06:34 PM   #11
Powrie
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Eventually they will stop selling the iPad 2

Because the technology will become outdated.


Do we know how well the iPad 2 runs iOS 7 ?


Maybe apple will decide its time to give the non retina hardware a boost.


What if they made for example 2 versions of the iPad 5 - One with Retina and one with non retina displays.

Basically this is what they are selling now.


They are offering a non retina iPad 2 stopped selling the 3 but offer a retina version of the iPad as the 4.


So what they may do is offer a Non retina 9.7 inch iPad 5 along with a Retina version 9.7 iPad 5 at the same time.

This way the non retina and the retina version of the iPad get a refresh.
Powrie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:29 PM   #12
NateEssex
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Yup

If it's a hand me down, sure. If you're buying it, go for a 3 if possible.
__________________
15" 2.3 i7 MBP iPhone 5S iPad 4 16 GB Verizon LTE iPad 64GB 3G AppleTV3
NateEssex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:57 PM   #13
Droidrage729
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
If the price is right sure why not. My dad had a 32 gb iPad 2 and loves it. He could care less or barely notice retina non retina this processor or that. Fact is ipad 2 is still a great product. If you can get a 3 for just as cheap or cheaper get the newer one just because.
Droidrage729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 04:45 AM   #14
mbp17xxx
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
i just bought my mom an ipad 2, she's not a power user, will just use email, browse, youtube, notes, calendar. she wouldn't know the difference but my pocket will
mbp17xxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 08:22 AM   #15
macpluslaptop
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by aPple nErd View Post
Facetime is also on the 2...
Of course - thanks for the correction. OP, you might think about what people are saying about the retina screen, which is easier to read, and wait for the discounts on current models that will come once the 5 is introduced. ... you'll get more for your money then.
macpluslaptop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:49 PM   #16
thekb
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by macpluslaptop View Post
Of course - thanks for the correction. OP, you might think about what people are saying about the retina screen, which is easier to read, and wait for the discounts on current models that will come once the 5 is introduced. ... you'll get more for your money then.

These are people that can't tell the difference between SD and HD television! I think the subtleties of a "retina" screen would be lost on them!

thekb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Birthday gift for sister finally arrived!!! (images attached) zack fly iPhone Accessories 15 Feb 27, 2014 09:16 AM
iPad Mini: Gift for 10-year-olds: Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini, or iPad Mini Retina? dmk1974 iPad 31 Dec 4, 2013 06:30 AM
Good mother's day gift accessory for iPhone (and iPad)? secretpact iPhone Accessories 6 Apr 28, 2013 09:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC