Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:48 PM   #1
netachi
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Is This a Scam ?

was browsing eBay and saw this deal. Are deals like this real ? supposedly their into wholesale but this is a little to good to be true. But considering eBay buyer protection as well as PayPal buyer protection i was wondering what could go wrong i could get refunded if its a lie. What do you guys think ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Co...b850c8&vxp=mtr

16 SOLD ALREADY
netachi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 08:07 PM   #2
tag
macrumors 6502a

I'd say something is terribly fishy going on there. He has no feedback as a seller, which in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but his 10 current feedback is all from cheap items, and all those items are also shipped and sold from China, and all the feedback was received today all at once, and yet his account is nearly a year old.

On top of that the title of the auction for me at least is coming up as 'Lkajshdkjfiu Yaisuyf Iasduiyfiyasdf Ysaduiy | eBay'.

So this guy living in Washington decided to buy a dozen cheap crap items from China and then start selling dozens of iPods at a fraction of the cost?

Put all of those things together and it almost looks like someone is trying to raise up their feedback via these shill auctions with those cheap Chinese items, so that this account has more feedback, so that they can sell these "iPods" with a bit more reputation. At best you will get an counterfeit iPod if you buy this, at worst, its a quick scam using a hacked account, I'd bet on the former though.

Either way I'd stay away.
tag is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 08:23 PM   #3
narutoninjakid
macrumors 6502

I did a little research and I found the same messages posted under a few different sellers selling for the same price. I find it a little suspicious that they all bought items today from Chinese sellers. It just surprises me how many people jumped on this deal, I guess because of the price. I was going to purchase one and when I went through PayPal saw that the buyer does not have a confirmed address and is unregistered so this is just a huge scam I would warn others to stay away. I also changed the password to my eBay as well as PayPal account, no one knows what these guys are really after so its better to be safe than sorry. I have a few hundred bucks in my paypal and I would hate to see them disappear.

I'm surprised eBay does not pick up on stuff like this.
narutoninjakid is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

at that price......assume it's a scam or stolen goods
Macky-Mac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:14 PM   #5
dannyjohns
macrumors newbie

With a cool price. I think it's a scam.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:56 PM   #6
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 68040

Well, the listing has apparently been taken down, so I'm guessing eBay decided it was a fake.

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:19 AM   #7
hchung
macrumors 6502a

Whatever it was, it's not there anymore.
ebay redirects me to a generic skateboard search.
hchung is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch