Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psblake

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Washington
I have been thinking about it and I am not sure I want something that could just go bad and lock me out of my phone. Just not much of a reason to upgrade I guess if that is the major WOW item in the new 5S.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Yes. And it will have passcode as usual, this will just be option 1. IF it "goes bad" then type in your password like you always have.

I'm excited about unlocked with fingerprint, entering password with fingerprints, credit cards with fingerprint. and maybe even multi user.

hakuna-matata

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2011
nope even if it ''just'' works..only stupid peeps keep their most sensitive data(i think apple lock is sufficient) on their phone..

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
I have been thinking about it and I am not sure I want something that could just go bad and lock me out of my phone. Just not much of a reason to upgrade I guess if that is the major WOW item in the new 5S.

Yeah I want it. This is just one option to get in the phone. With a fingerprint sensor, it's a lot faster for the owner. If you need to let someone else use it or you just chopped your thumb off while chopping tomatoes, you always have that second option of password.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Yes. And it will have passcode as usual, this will just be option 1. IF it "goes bad" then type in your password like you always have.

I'm excited about unlocked with fingerprint, entering password with fingerprints, credit cards with fingerprint. and maybe even multi user.

Your answer is fact-based and logical. It has no place here. Please delete it at once.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
There will not be a fingerprint scanner on the iphone. Even a dedicated fingerprint scanner is hard to maintain for proper function, on a phone it would be a chore. Imagine continuously cleaning your fingers and the scanner.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
To access my bank account online, I have to enter a username, tap a button, enter a password, click a button, then answer a security question, click a button. If I could open the app, swipe my thumb across the home button and be in my account, THIS WOULD BE THE MOST AWESOME THING EVER.

I'm guessing it also has applications in payments. Get banks to put credit cards in Passbook and to show them (or maybe access them using NFC), you have to verify using your thumb. That's a million times more secure than the "what's the code on the back of your card?" security that is the best of what any credit card has today.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
It's not a feature I've been clamouring for but, providing they've got the security right with its implementation, I'd imagine I'll love the convenience of it once it's there.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
There will not be a fingerprint scanner on the iphone. Even a dedicated fingerprint scanner is hard to maintain for proper function, on a phone it would be a chore. Imagine continuously cleaning your fingers and the scanner.

Based on what facts ?

I would have said "There might not be a fingerPrint sensor" but you went ahead and said "No" with out facts.

I will be glad if they do, but if not, the passcode will be OK.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
How can we answer that when we don't know what it does. If all it does is store it and send it to criminals so they can use (for what reason?) than no. If it allows some functions (and I choose) to work with fingerprint rather than password - sure.

Fingerprints are really a big issue these days - other than maybe helping track down criminals.

Is it a feature I can't wait for - no - not that I know. But it could be very helpful

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Don't care personally. Honestly, nothing I'm hearing about the 5S is giving me any desire to upgrade from the 5.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Fingerprint scanners are notoriously hackable and easily defeated. This is why they're a very bad idea for security purposes. If you want proof, I suggest you use a service called Google and search.

However, using one for identification purposes does have merit. Albeit a small factor.
I would not want a feature that can be defeated with simple tape that allows someone into my bank accounts.

For me, I would merely consider it a novelty item. I wouldn't use it on anything I needed secured.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
I would love a fingerprint reader, I really hate giving my iPhone to people, or people using my iPhone without permission. I hate phone passcodes because you end up telling them to people eventually and then they know it, like asking someone to text someone while you're driving or changing the music. It's not like I wouldn't have something to hide or naked pictures in my gallery but I really dislike it when people see my probably unexciting conversations.

I don't see apple adding one for it though so meh...

I'd also like NFC payments done nicely if apple gets into that.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Fingerprint scanners are notoriously hackable and easily defeated. This is why they're a very bad idea for security purposes.

I've heard this said so many times. What you people don't understand is that the one rumoured to be used in the next iPhone is not an optical one (the ones you see in PC laptops that are easily hackable). If you did some reading, you would found that the FS in the 5S uses sensors to analyze the live layer of the fingerprint. We don't know how hackable this tech is (but you can bet that it's harder than the optical ones just from the way it works).

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Based on what facts ?

I would have said "There might not be a fingerPrint sensor" but you went ahead and said "No" with out facts.

I will be glad if they do, but if not, the passcode will be OK.

The fact that apple never said they are putting one in.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Maybe studies will show that the fingerprint sensor exposes your thumb to high levels of radiation because you need to be scanned every time you open your phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.