Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 17, 2005, 02:19 PM   #1
jefhatfield
Retired

OK, i am happy with my ibook and powermac

...but i am thinking of replacing my old 1999 era pc laptop/windows 98 with something "newer" in the pc laptop realm

i have been quite ok with the old pc laptop and dodged the numerous xp virus attacks over the years but now i have to update and i was wondering what suggestions any of you new pc laptop owners suggest?

when i bought my pc laptop back in 1999, dell, ibm and toshiba were tops and if things have not changed and i can believe the reviews, they are still good

super lightweight and wireless capabilities are not important to me though that's the fad in marketing pc laptops these days...i don't travel anywhere with a laptop when i travel

i figure basically, all name brand pc laptops are basically identical, and nowhere near as good as my ibook so i won't put apple expectations on my next pc laptop
jefhatfield is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 02:21 PM   #2
Ryan T.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhatfield
...but i am thinking of replacing my old 1999 era pc laptop/windows 98 with something "newer" in the pc laptop realm

i have been quite ok with the old pc laptop and dodged the numerous xp virus attacks over the years but now i have to update and i was wondering what suggestions any of you new pc laptop owners suggest?

when i bought my pc laptop back in 1999, dell, ibm and toshiba were tops and if things have not changed and i can believe the reviews, they are still good

super lightweight and wireless capabilities are not important to me though that's the fad in marketing pc laptops these days...i don't travel anywhere with a laptop when i travel

i figure basically, all name brand pc laptops are basically identical, and nowhere near as good as my ibook so i won't put apple expectations on my next pc laptop
An IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T series model will surpass every aspect of your iBook with the exception of the OS, since you obviously prefer OS X.
Ryan T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 02:30 PM   #3
jefhatfield
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T.
An IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T series model will surpass every aspect of your iBook with the exception of the OS, since you obviously prefer OS X.
thanks for the suggestion

to me, and many others, the experience one has with their computer is mostly tied up in the operating system, (as i read, and experienced in "macintosh:the naked truth") but the industrial design of a machine does not hurt either, and i have never found most ibm laptops that nice to look at (but that is still really a minor matter though)
Old Nov 17, 2005, 02:56 PM   #4
PCMacUser
macrumors 68000

If you're looking for something that is as well designed and cool-looking as an Apple Powerbook, you needn't go any further than an ASUS notebook (they also manufacture Powerbooks and some Sony Vaios). If price were not an issue, I'd go for the W2V...

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/review.php?reviewId=1158
Old Nov 17, 2005, 03:31 PM   #5
jefhatfield
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCMacUser
(...they also manufacture Powerbooks

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/review.php?reviewId=1158
really? he he...now that's a pc laptop i can live with...thanks for the link

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs