Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kengineer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
After waiting a month I was happy to receive my iMac a few days ago!

I have been browsing the forums for potential problems with the new iMacs, but luckily I think mine has passed all of the lemon tests. I was wondering about reinstalliing my OS. It seems some people like to reinstall thier OS on receipt of their new mac. Is there a reason for this? Is there a bunch of useless stuff preinstalled or something of that nature? Thanks for the help ahead of time, I am a former PC user and need a little help in getting up to speed on Apple's standard practices.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Kengineer said:
After waiting a month I was happy to receive my iMac a few days ago!

I have been browsing the forums for potential problems with the new iMacs, but luckily I think mine has passed all of the lemon tests. I was wondering about reinstalliing my OS. It seems some people like to reinstall thier OS on receipt of their new mac. Is there a reason for this? Is there a bunch of useless stuff preinstalled or something of that nature? Thanks for the help ahead of time, I am a former PC user and need a little help in getting up to speed on Apple's standard practices.
First off congratulations. Personally I don't see the need to reinstall the OS if it's a new machine but there are some people that really like to. I guess if you want to go ahead.

Once you go Mac you'll never go back. ;)

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Kengineer said:
....It seems some people like to reinstall thier OS on receipt of their new mac. Is there a reason for this?

I guess it's to remove the trial software that comes pre-installed with a new machine, assuming it's not included on the re-install disks. Another reason could be it allows people to select some additional install options.

The trial software is fairly easy to spot and remove... but is generally worth trialling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.