Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
If the main upgrades the iPhone 5S is getting are the new camera, fingerprint sensor, and A7 processor, do you think it is worth upgrading from my iPhone 5 to the 5S? Or should I save my upgrade for next year for the 6?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why not wait until Apple unveils the 5S before making any sort of decision?

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
im waiting on the 6, mainly because im only 10 months into a 24 month contract :D

Usually the "tock" releases are less interesting "upgrades" than the "tick" releases which bring the real innovation..

but who knows, perhaps apple will surprise us all with a 5S that actually has a new feature that's useful and not just a gimmick to get people to drop more phones whilst they try and get it to work (finger print scanner, im looking at you)

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I'm upgrading but I don't have a 5. Whether you should or shouldn't is your call to make. If the 5s doesn't meet your needs/wants then don't purchase it. Worth is always a highly subjective matter.

VinceDae

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Well IMO we have always gotten the best phones with the S models...

Just look at the leap from 4 to 4S - yes the design stayed the same but the speed/camera etc. is nearly as good as the 5, leaving the 4 in the dust...

And the same with the 3 and 3S

So if they hold their circle, it will be nearly as fast as the 6 but look like the 5... - Im getting mine, thats for sure :)

Just hoping they've learned their lesson with the "paint" issues :)

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Why not wait until Apple unveils the 5S before making any sort of decision?

I don't see why, we should whip ourselves into a wild frenzy over unsubstantiated rumors and then loudly voice how betrayed we feel when phone without 8GB of RAM, quad core processor and 57MP camera is released.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
wait for the iPhone 6

The "s" in the model iPhone 5s, stands for "same" as its last years model. Don't waste any upgrading on this. I also read that the camera will stay at 8 megapixel while the competition has 13 megapixel cameras out there. The Apple Board has its concerns about the slowness of any innovation from its company and they are correct. Very confusing times for Apple.:eek:

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
In effect you are 'paying' for your phone subsidy every month of the 24 months. The base model 5 is $649. You pay $199 with contract. The carrier has to make up the other $450 over the 24 months. They do this with artificial higher rates. For simplicity we'll say you are paying $20 extra a month for the phone.

Now you are done your 24 months. The carrier doesn't take $20 off your bill. So now you are giving them $20/mo because you want to use an older phone for an extra year?

Use your upgrades when you can! Don't give your carrier extra money.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
In effect you are 'paying' for your phone subsidy every month of the 24 months. The base model 5 is $649. You pay $199 with contract. The carrier has to make up the other $450 over the 24 months. They do this with artificial higher rates. For simplicity we'll say you are paying $20 extra a month for the phone.

Now you are done your 24 months. The carrier doesn't take $20 off your bill. So now you are giving them $20/mo because you want to use an older phone for an extra year?

Use your upgrades when you can! Don't give your carrier extra money.

This is exactly how I feel about it. Though I did leave my dad's upgrade open last year so I can use it this year. :) I'll be getting either another 5 or a 5S after the announcement.

I should clarify, my dad is using my old 4 which is having problems. So I will get a new phone and give him my current 5.

John Adams

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2012
Fort Worth, TX USA
All I can say is Apple needs to step it up and get away from this "one Phone fits all" mentality. Many people would choose an iPhone but go to Samsung for the bigger screen and phone that fits their hand better. Samsung is selling way more phones than Apple right now. No contest.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I'm not sure what you're waiting for at this point. The hardware is excellent. Many seem to be holding out for a bigger screen but you didn't specify that as an issue.

The "s" in the model iPhone 5s, stands for "same" as its last years model. Don't waste any upgrading on this. I also read that the camera will stay at 8 megapixel while the competition has 13 megapixel cameras out there. The Apple Board has its concerns about the slowness of any innovation from its company and they are correct. Very confusing times for Apple.:eek:

Why is the MP issue still coming up? I'd rather have a cleaner 8 MP than 13.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
The "S" models are always a slight improvement over the prior non-S model, but the BIG jump is usually from S, to a new numeral. Look at the difference between the 3GS to the 4, look at the difference from the 4S to the 5. It's usually a whole new form factor when you go from an S to a new numeral. 5S will be a slight jump from the 5, 5S to 6 will be a change in the form factor.

Last edited:

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm lucky to have a wife who could care less about her phone. As long as it places a call, can get and send text messages she is happy.

So..... I will be using my upgrade to get myself the 5S and using her upgrade to get the 6 next year. She gets my "hand me downs". :)

SSonnentag

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2006
Yuma, Arizona, USA
I'm lucky to have a wife who could care less about her phone. As long as it places a call, can get and send text messages she is happy.

So..... I will be using my upgrade to get myself the 5S and using her upgrade to get the 6 next year. She gets my "hand me downs". :)

Same here. We get all the iPhone iterations this way at the upgrade pricing. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.