Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:36 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Photos of Top Strip of iPhone 5S Rear Shell Again Point to Dual-LED Flash

Following a report from last week that showed a clear photo of an alleged camera module, French website Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translation] has reposted photos of parts that appear to be the top and bottom strips for the back of the iPhone 5S. The photos were originally posted by a user on Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo who regularly pulls together photos and other leaks from various sources.

Notably, the space for the flash modules on the top strip appear to have spacing for a dual-LED flash, which is consistent with a December 2012 prototype iPhone 5S that leaked back in June. A dual-LED flash would improve the performance of the iPhone's flash, creating better lit, less harsh flash photos in low light conditions.

Yesterday, a report surfaced claiming that the rear camera on the iPhone 5S would retain the same 8-megapixel resolution found in its predecessor, but will feature a wider f/2.0 aperture to capture more light while taking photos. Apple will reportedly unveil the next-generation iPhone on September 10, but it is still unclear whether the event will focus singularly on the iPhone 5S or include the announcement of the lower-cost iPhone as well.

Article Link: Photos of Top Strip of iPhone 5S Rear Shell Again Point to Dual-LED Flash
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:37 AM   #2
xNYMetsx
macrumors Demi-God

Great
xNYMetsx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:38 AM   #3
irfaanfaki
macrumors member

My dream of a surprise iPhone 6 announcement is officially dead !
Oh well
irfaanfaki is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:39 AM   #4
JaySoul
macrumors 6502a

We get it.

2 LED's. Twice as good.
JaySoul is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:42 AM   #5
bchery21
macrumors 6502

Slowly but surely, all will be revealed.
bchery21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:42 AM   #6
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816

Just ready to get the phone. Got my iPhone 5 buyer lined up already...just need Apple to start selling this thing.
applefanDrew is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:42 AM   #7
nfl46
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
We get it.

2 LED's. Twice as good.
Lol, why can I see that being on Apple's webpage in reference to the LED's. Sounds like something they would say.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:43 AM   #8
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000

Why would these parts be showing up separately?
Isn't the back one fused piece?
Gjwilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:44 AM   #9
HussamRaed
macrumors regular

WOW, leaks have been going all crazy since the date announcement. "Double down on secrecy" .
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:46 AM   #10
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HussamRaed View Post
WOW, leaks have been going all crazy since the date announcement. "Double down on secrecy" .
When did Apple announce a date?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:46 AM   #11
orbital~debris
macrumors regular

I wonder if anyone scanned that QR code - visible on the part in this photo - to see if it divulged any further information…
orbital~debris is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:49 AM   #12
Four oF NINE
macrumors 6502a

wouldn't having the twin flash further spaced be better than stacked on top of each other?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:51 AM   #13
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfaanfaki View Post
My dream of a surprise iPhone 6 announcement is officially dead !
Oh well
Why? 5S is just the name the press has given the next iPhone. It could very well be called the iPhone 6. Who knows what Apple is going to do. iPhone 5S and 5C seem too close to each other. I think there will be an iPhone 6 and 5C announced in September.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:53 AM   #14
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

Too. Many. Leaks. I remember being surprised in the old days (say, pre-iPhone 4S). Apple should form a special rumour and secret leaks disinformation team in order to "double down" on secrecy.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:53 AM   #15
Abobrek
macrumors member

I found this on Patently Apple posted April 07, 2011...

"The iOS device has a camera function for taking a picture, where a controller is to command a camera flash to produce two or more multi-value coded pulses of light during a single shutter cycle of the picture. As redefined here, the term "camera flash" is not limited to elements that produce only visible light pulses; the camera flash could also, or alternatively, produce non-visible light pulses that can be reflected from moving objects in the scene and then detected by an imaging sensor (as a picture of the scene with the moving object).

The flash in Apple's patent is described in terms of having multiple LED lamps each of which could be driven by a different pulse sequence (during the single exposure time interval). The flash controlled in this manner thus allows the picture to be taken without decreasing the exposure time, thereby capturing a sharper picture even while there may be some relative movement between the device and the object in the scene being illuminated."
Abobrek is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:54 AM   #16
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
Why? 5S is just the name the press has given the next iPhone. It could very well be called the iPhone 6. Who knows what Apple is going to do. iPhone 5S and 5C seem too close to each other. I think there will be an iPhone 6 and 5C announced in September.
Prepare to be disappointed...
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:54 AM   #17
Madhawk
macrumors regular

Definitely going to buy the iPhone 5S for this feature alone.

No other phone has this advanced technology.
Madhawk is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:00 AM   #18
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

10 september can't come soon enough!
Will definetely upgrade to 5S
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:01 AM   #19
iapplelove
Banned

Yawn...

Any Asian with a leaked finger print sensor part?

Last edited by iapplelove; Aug 12, 2013 at 09:15 AM.
iapplelove is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:01 AM   #20
JaySoul
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
Lol, why can I see that being on Apple's webpage in reference to the LED's. Sounds like something they would say.
Maybe I should apply for a job writing propaganda at Apple.
JaySoul is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:02 AM   #21
bbplayer5
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaze View Post
10 september can't come soon enough!
Will definetely upgrade to 5S
Based on what exactly? Sight unseen, just gonna go buy it?
bbplayer5 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:04 AM   #22
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJism23 View Post
Prepare to be disappointed...
Always
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:06 AM   #23
irfaanfaki
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
Go ahead, take my virtual hug 😁
irfaanfaki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:14 AM   #24
eyeruh
macrumors member

"A dual-LED flash would improve the performance of the iPhone's flash, creating better lit, less harsh flash photos in low light conditions."

I've seen this statement twice now in your articles and it's completely false to say that the dual flash will result in "less harsh" flash photos. The harshness of light is directly related to the size of the light source and the distance to the subject. Two LED's next to each other don't change the size of that source enough to matter vs a single LED.

What two different-colored LEDs really do is allow you to change the color temperature of the flash to better match your ambient surroundings. You'll see less of a color shift but the light will still be very harsh. It's a nice addition, just not the addition you're describing.
eyeruh is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:17 AM   #25
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJism23 View Post
Too. Many. Leaks. I remember being surprised in the old days (say, pre-iPhone 4S). Apple should form a special rumour and secret leaks disinformation team in order to "double down" on secrecy.
Yes the good old days, where you could see the entire phone before the keynote, because it was left in a bar.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion