Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage1.png
Skype has updated its iPhone and iPad apps, adding support for HD video calling on both devices, as well as other "general fixes and improvements" and better support for the iOS 7 beta.
Latest improvements:

- Audio and video call quality and stability improvements.

- Make HD (720p) quality video calls from your iPhone 5 or iPad 4 (iOS devices with Retina display).

- A new, easier to use country code selector on the dialpad.

- Stability improvements for users of iOS 7 beta. We realize that some of you are using iOS 7 beta and have been experiencing some instability with Skype - this release fixes some of the major issues you were facing. We hope you find this update a significant improvement, and we will offer full iOS 7 support when it's officially released.
Apple introduced front-facing cameras capable of HD 720p video in the iPhone 5 and the fourth-generation iPad and iPad mini.

Skype is a free download for the iPhone and iPad. [Direct Links: iPhone, iPad]

Article Link: Skype Adds HD Video Calling to iPhone and iPad Apps

SamuraiMinis

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
Do they not list iPod Touch 5 since it doesn't have a cellular version? Because it has a 720p FaceTime camera.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
What happens if you use the back camera?

On devices that don't have a front HD camera, what happens if you switch to the back camera? Will that give HD quality picture?

Rog210

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2004
Are people still using this?

After the recent NSA revelations, I wouldn't go near it.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
dr-evil-bunny-quotes.jpg

"HD"

Watch it be 720p but still with ridiculously lossy compression as usual. I can't stand Skype.

----------

Not everyone discusses their secret plans to hijack a nuclear missile over Skype, so they're not too worried.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
For an app that has to do precious few things, it's unthinkable that Skypes UI could be this bad. ...and worse, that it could be this bad for years, with as much discussion regarding Skypes software always dominated by how crappy their UI and user experience is.

It's as if they don't use their own product, nor pay any attention to anyone who does.

I started using VOIP in about 95. It's now 2013, and it's gotten worse, not better. Something's clearly wrong at the top.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Makes me laugh how it still doesn't even tell you when someone is typing a message...

macnibblet

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2013
I am thrilled that I can now use HD video-chatting, cross-platform. I am just curious when Google will allow 1080p video playback on my iPhone 5.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013

Seriously bro so what are you gonna do cease all connections to the outside world and completely cut off all social interactions...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.