Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I recently got my 2013 13" 128GB SSD Macbook Air last week and i noticed that my storage has been eating up quickly. I checked in on the disk utility and it states that 15GB is used in "Other" how can i delete this "OTHER." Or at least know what exactly is the "OTHER" storage.

thanks.

fabian43

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2013
Isn't this "other" referring to the OS? You never really get the full capacity of any hard drive because the operating system and related bloat ware always take up space. A 500GB-1TB portable external hard drive should do the trick

bolen

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Sweden
Get DaisyDisk (in Mac App store) or similar software to better figure out what's hogging your space.

Other similar utilities are:
  • JDiskReport
  • Disk Inventory X
  • DiskWave
  • GrandPerspective
  • WhatSize

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Isn't this "other" referring to the OS? You never really get the full capacity of any hard drive because the operating system and related bloat ware always take up space. A 500GB-1TB portable external hard drive should do the trick

It could be, it is taking up about 15GB. I screenshotted the storage to see if it is going to increase, if not then a good chance it could be the OS.

----------

Get DaisyDisk (in Mac App store) or similar software to better figure out what's hogging your space.

Other similar utilities are:
  • JDiskReport
  • Disk Inventory X
  • DiskWave
  • GrandPerspective
  • WhatSize

Thanks, i will look into these apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.