Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
People here do love an "Android vs iOS" discussion so what do people think of this blog post by Paul Stamatio?

http://paulstamatiou.com/android-is-better

He does have some valid points and the intents system is one of my must loved Android features but not all of those will be enough to make everyone switch.

What do you think on the piece?

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Looks like android works for him. I have a Mac and Apple TV and the iPhone integrates really well with those products. Also some of the reasons he considers positive I consider negatives. Both android and ios are amazing OS made for different people.

Harp77

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
Toronto, ONT
Looks like android works for him. I have a Mac and Apple TV and the iPhone integrates really well with those products. Also some of the reasons he considers positive I consider negatives. Both android and ios are amazing OS made for different people.

Agreed.
I am coming from the other end of the spectrum - I started with Android and found it to be a pain. I don't have time to customize my devices - I just want them to be dependable and work. Apple provides that for me.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Agreed.
I am coming from the other end of the spectrum - I started with Android and found it to be a pain. I don't have time to customize my devices - I just want them to be dependable and work. Apple provides that for me.

Happened to me as well. I still have one android device (acer a100 but that Tegra 2 really is a terrible SOC) so I can play around with the competition :D.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Agreed.

I am pretty much in same boat as you although I still use an Android phone as my main mobile (mostly because of its low price).

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
A lot of people don't want to look beyond the ecosystem and how it doesn't have the apps they use. It's like people who won't consider a Mac just because of the price. Others just base it on the word of mouth they hear.

I like the article. Very well put.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
People here do love an "Android vs iOS" discussion so what do people think of this blog post by Paul Stamatio?

http://paulstamatiou.com/android-is-better

He does have some valid points and the intents system is one of my must loved Android features but not all of those will be enough to make everyone switch.

What do you think on the piece?

So some nobody posted a link-bait article to try and hook in the fandroids. Mission accomplished?

I'd wager that he never actually "switched" anything...

Last edited:

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I thought it was a good article. My first smartphone was a Motorola DROID, but by the time I was due an upgrade I was so sick of android I went to windows phone. Now pretty much every issue I had with android has been addressed, so I'm going to replace my 8X with an S4 or possible the Note 3 when it comes out.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I also agree with the bulk of the article.

I do find it a bit ironic that one of the most common criticisms levied towards users of the Apple ecosystem is how others state they would hate to be tied solely to only one ecosystem, yet the author himself cites how most of his services are provided by Google, even references as a great example another user who uses 17 Google products on a daily basis. I know there are differences (closed vs. open) but still, that's relying an awful lot on only one company... ;)

I also disagree regarding his statement that Android design is better--preferring one over another is purely personal preference. I like iOS better (both 6 and 7) and find Android too flat, simplistic, and unrefined but again, that just my personal preference. At least with Android you do have an option to change the icon design.

The author is clearly someone who's daily lifestyle runs through his tech and can make the most out of the added benefits offered by Android. That being said, the audience of that article doesn't go much past the same people who are likely using tech forums. I'd guess much of this is lost on the general consumer who is doing nothing more that talking, messaging, using Facebook/Twitter, and a handful of other apps. They don't miss the intents systems because they probably rarely use it. From this level of use, iOS and Android aren't that far apart. He is pretty much spot on--it's just that a great deal of iOS users don't miss what they'll never use.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I also agree with the bulk of the article.

I do find it a bit ironic that one of the most common criticisms levied toward user of the Apple ecosystem is how others state they would hate to be tied solely to only one ecosystem, yet the author himself cites how most of his services are provided by Google, even references as a great example another user who uses 17 Google products on a daily basis. I know there are differences (closed vs. open) but still, that's relying an awful lot on only one company... ;)

I also disagree regarding his statement that Android design is better--preferring one over another is purely personal preference. I like iOS better (both 6 and 7) and find Android too flat, simplistic, and unrefined but again, that just my personal preference. At least with Android you do have an option to change the icon design.

Otherwise, he's pretty much spot on.

But anyone can leave and choose not to use Google's services if they don't want to, no? Whereas in iOS, you have to use, for example, Apple Maps every time you hit a link to an address. In Google, you can set the defaults. Just one example.

No?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
But anyone can leave and choose not to use Google's services if they don't want to, no? Whereas in iOS, you have to use, for example, Apple Maps every time you hit a link to an address. In Google, you can set the defaults. Just one example.

No?

Don't read too far into my comment Couch, I'm not criticizing as much as making an observation--also note I did recognize they're not the same situation.

I know there are differences (closed vs. open)

Just found it a bit funny that it's a common criticism of people immersed in the Apple ecosystem (all your eggs in one basket, so to speak) and the author is doing exactly the same thing with Google.

That's all. Heck, I've been creeping in that same direction over the past six months--haven't counted but probably use more Google services than any other.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Don't read too far into my comment Couch, I'm not criticizing as much as making an observation--also note I did recognize they're not the same situation.

Just found it a bit funny that it's a common criticism of people immersed in the Apple ecosystem (all your eggs in one basket, so to speak) and the author is doing exactly the same thing with Google.

That's all. Heck, I've been creeping in that same direction over the past six months--haven't counted but probably use more Google services than any other.

All good. Was just asking for clarification.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You don't have to use just Google Services. I use Gmail, but pretty much everything else is third-party. Adobe Revel for photo storage (I handle that on my Mac), Wunderlist, Evernote, etc, etc.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
You don't have to use just Google Services. I use Gmail, but pretty much everything else is third-party. Adobe Revel for photo storage (I handle that on my Mac), Wunderlist, Evernote, etc, etc.

Agreed, Android wins in this area hands down. It's only deficiencies exist for the user immersed in the Apple ecosystem and that's on Apple. It's also why I moved away from Apple's services because I like to dabble with various gadgets using different OS and sticking with Apple makes this more difficult (as it their intention, I'm sure).

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I have to say that I agree with the article.

Switching from my iPhone to my HTC was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I have been gravitating towards Googles services such as Google Play Music and Google Now for the last year or so, I'm sure that helped.

ArizonaKid

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
Arizona
I think it's boring to just use on OS unless you are totally invested in the ecosystem. I agreed with many , not all, of the points the author made.

My wife used both Android and iOS, and currently she prefers iOS. I'm a long time Apple user, but decided to start using Android after the 4S with the Galaxy S2.

I love using my Nexus 7, but for tablets I'd give the edge to Apple. As far as phones go, display size, customization, and widgets won me over.

I probably wouldn't go back to an iPhone unless they started allowing Google Maps, Gmail, etc... to be default applications for certain task - similarly to OS X and Android.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I come here to read about Apple, not Android. If I want to read about Android, I would go to XDA-Developers or Android Central.

You came to the 'alternatives to iOS' sub form to read about Apple? If you didn't want to read about the thread subject then why did you come in? Also why did you comment? If you see dog poop or broken glass, or something else you don't like on the pavement in real life I assume you wouldn't roll around in it shouting that you hate it and ask why it's there, you avoid it. Why don't you do the same on the internet?

DeathTheKid

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2013
You came to the 'alternatives to iOS' sub form to read about Apple? If you didn't want to read about the thread subject then why did you come in? Also why did you comment? If you see dog poop or broken glass, or something else you don't like on the pavement in real life I assume you wouldn't roll around in it shouting that you hate it and ask why it's there, you avoid it. Why don't you do the same on the internet?

Sorry, man. The thread came up on my feed on Tapatalk. I didn't say specifically what sub-forum I was in. My mistake.

It was a knee jerk reaction to all the fighting in general that fanboys on both sides seem to do. This is more globally, and not specific to Mac Rumors. Seeing that my previous post is not relevant to the discussion, I went ahead and got rid of it. Anyways, carry on.

Antgb84

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Just plain tired reading these pointless Android vs iPhone Mac vs PC comparisons over and over again. It all boils down to how you use it and what suits your daily needs best.

Android got this and android got that, we've all seen enough of that. It's all about personal preference. I'd never leave the iOS because I like simplicity and I don't need the overwhelming number of customization, endless features or any of that clutter on my mobile phone to get the job done.

iPhone 5 screen size does it well enough for me another of those things people continue to whine about. Get your Note or you need to check your eye sight.

When iPhone 5S rolls out in a month from now people are gonna pick up where they left off, start whining all over again getting into S4 vs 5S spec war and complaining how the 5S is already dated and how it still is the same iPhone but with beefed up specs and how Apple doesn't innovate. History will repeat itself.

Apple already perfected the iPhone, it takes great photos, sends email, plays music, makes phone calls, LOL it does those things in most simple and elegant way. What more could you ask for?

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Y'all know what sucks about the Google Play Store? You can't gift apps to other people. Why are they not letting us give them more money? Silly.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Just plain tired reading these pointless Android vs iPhone Mac vs PC comparisons over and over again. It all boils down to how you use it and what suits your daily needs best.

Android got this and android got that, we've all seen enough of that. It's all about personal preference. I'd never leave the iOS because I like simplicity and I don't need the overwhelming number of customization, endless features or any of that clutter on my mobile phone to get the job done.

iPhone 5 screen size does it well enough for me another of those things people continue to whine about. Get your Note or you need to check your eye sight.

When iPhone 5S rolls out in a month from now people are gonna pick up where they left off, start whining all over again getting into S4 vs 5S spec war and complaining how the 5S is already dated and how it still is the same iPhone but with beefed up specs and how Apple doesn't innovate. History will repeat itself.

Apple already perfected the iPhone, it takes great photos, sends email, plays music, makes phone calls, LOL it does those things in most simple and elegant way. What more could you ask for?

The things Android does plus a bigger screen. Hey, you asked :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.