Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckrisyoung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2013
I just bought the new 13" MacBook Air from Staples (MD760LL/A).

On bootup, it takes 30 seconds from the time I press the power button to reach the Apple logo. Login appears almost instantly after the logo appears and I'm on my desktop ready to go within seconds after logging in.

I'm just wondering if the 30 seconds of grey screen is normal? The time it takes to boot doesn't really bother me - it's the not knowing whether a problem exists or not that's the real issue.

Thanks!

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
I just bought the new 13" MacBook Air from Staples (MD760LL/A).

On bootup, it takes 30 seconds from the time I press the power button to reach the Apple logo. Login appears almost instantly after the logo appears and I'm on my desktop ready to go within seconds after logging in.

I'm just wondering if the 30 seconds of grey screen is normal? The time it takes to boot doesn't really bother me - it's the not knowing whether a problem exists or not that's the real issue.

Thanks!

This happened to me when I first got my Air. What you have to do to make it MUCH quicker is go into System Preferences > Startup Disk and click Macintosh HD, OSX 10.8.4 and click restart. Your boots should be MUCH quicker now.

Reactions: TheITJanitor

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

Looking for problems again.

How fast ur puter boots depends on several variables and not everybody's puter is set up the same way.

Doesn't bother u, leave it.

Problems? NEGATIVO.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
This happened to me when I first got my Air. What you have to do to make it MUCH quicker is go into System Preferences > Startup Disk and click Macintosh HD, OSX 10.8.4 and click restart. Your boots should be MUCH quicker now.

This

Looking for problems again.

How fast ur puter boots depends on several variables and not everybody's puter is set up the same way.

Doesn't bother u, leave it.

Problems? NEGATIVO.

Not this

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013

Suraj R. do you know if everyone has to do this to increase boot up speed, or does it apply to just a few MBAs?

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
Suraj R. do you know if everyone has to do this to increase boot up speed, or does it apply to just a few MBAs?

It works for everyone on every Mac, by default the internal HD isn't set to directly boot, I'm guessing the machine looks for other drives to boot from before selecting the internal. That's why when you have an external HD plugged in it takes longer to boot (just my prediction).

Its good to do.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Usually a mac comes with the internal drive set as a boot drive, but if you have another drive or partition set and that is deleted or unplugged it will wait until it times out and tries the first bootable drive it finds, so usually the internal drive or first partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.