Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jhene

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
haven't visit the site in a few months, the front page makes me a sad panda..

terrible timing to buy one?

princebig7

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2013
If you can get a great deal on one so that you won't lose much if you want to resell in a few months, then I think that's fine. I just got one last week for $205 on eBay great condition with charger and smart case. I certainly would not pay retail at this point that's for sure.

James717

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
meh,

you guys who advise on waiting are being too strict.

1) New ipad mini will be same design . big whoop
2) perhaps Retina, perhaps not.
3) release date could be one month, could be 4 months away
4) faster, longer battery sure. But hey, that's electronics for you. next generation will for sure be better faster lighter whatever.

Unless there are signs of game-breakers or something that changes the entire product, waiting or feeling bad you bought the previous generation's product is nonesense.

Is the new Macbook Air better than the previous model? yes. But if I paid full retain for the last model, would I feel bad? Not really. It's a great macBook in its own right.

Is the next 5S better than the previous iPhone 5? Yes. but wait or buy the iPhone 5 now? If you need a phone, get the iPhone 5. Gimme a break. It's pretty much the same old stuff. iPhone 4 vs. iPhone 5? big changes. iPad 1 vs. iPad 3? big changes. the next iPad? Yes, lighter and thinner. Wait for that!

I'm sorry, I'm a big Apple fan, but iPad Mini won't have much change. the Macbook Air didn't have much change. the next 5S won't have much change.

Wait for it? Nah.

Buy the Mini if you like. Unless you can wait 2 to 3 months for the next Mini, why bother? Electronics will always get better in a few mere months. why procrastinate over stuff like that?

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
Ok
meh,

you guys who advise on waiting are being too strict.

1) New ipad mini will be same design . big whoop
2) perhaps Retina, perhaps not.
3) release date could be one month, could be 4 months away
4) faster, longer battery sure. But hey, that's electronics for you. next generation will for sure be better faster lighter whatever.

Unless there are signs of game-breakers or something that changes the entire product, waiting or feeling bad you bought the previous generation's product is nonesense.

Is the new Macbook Air better than the previous model? yes. But if I paid full retain for the last model, would I feel bad? Not really. It's a great macBook in its own right.

Is the next 5S better than the previous iPhone 5? Yes. but wait or buy the iPhone 5 now? If you need a phone, get the iPhone 5. Gimme a break. It's pretty much the same old stuff. iPhone 4 vs. iPhone 5? big changes. iPad 1 vs. iPad 3? big changes. the next iPad? Yes, lighter and thinner. Wait for that!

I'm sorry, I'm a big Apple fan, but iPad Mini won't have much change. the Macbook Air didn't have much change. the next 5S won't have much change.

Wait for it? Nah.

Buy the Mini if you like. Unless you can wait 2 to 3 months for the next Mini, why bother? Electronics will always get better in a few mere months. why procrastinate over stuff like that?

True. Only wait if its a significant update. New iPad new design so worth it. But iPhone 5 and 5s not really. I have a note 2 and I'm skipping the 3rd because the 4th will be better than the 3rd.instead I will invest in a new iPad and iPod touch. :):)

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I bought a second Mini two weeks ago, knowing that a Retina Mini might be coming out in a few months. There's nothing wrong with the current Mini, although most here would love to have a Retina display. There are also those who would like more RAM, but that has not been an issue for me. It was a great hot-selling tablet 10 months ago, and suddenly it's undesirable? I don't think so.

JB26

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Yorkshire
I wouldn't say so. The new mini will likely use a retina display and a fast processor. I bought a mini for gaming a few days ago and love it!

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
Hi...New at this form and have been a lurker since registration. This thread is relevant for me because I am considering buying an iPad....in fact tomorrow! Before I go any further, I should add that this will be my first iPad, but then again, I am not new to tablets. I already own a Nexus 10 and a Surface RT. So, why an iPad? Frankly, two reasons - first, I need the 4:3 aspect ratio. Second, the iPad has some excellent apps for reading books - specifically PDFs. The question that has been bugging me is if I would be doing the right thing buying the iPad tomorrow. Or, should I wait for the new version, which will probably be released by November at the latest?

moorashj

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2009
kristalsoldier

Same boat as me..I am leaning towards getting one this week..i have hte ipad 1 and 2...looking to update both...looking at the full size for the one upgrade but looking possibly at a mini...I am not sure there will be anything groundbreaking on the next version to hold off except maybe the retina on the mini.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
Same boat as me..I am leaning towards getting one this week..i have hte ipad 1 and 2...looking to update both...looking at the full size for the one upgrade but looking possibly at a mini...I am not sure there will be anything groundbreaking on the next version to hold off except maybe the retina on the mini.

Well, the Mini is out for me because I tested the current Mini at the store and the text I'd too small. Same reason why the new Nexus7 won't work. I just wish Apple would give us a fair idea as to when they would be doing their upgrades.

Edit...I'm not sure about the Mini, but a lighter version of the full sized iPad is getting to be a big deterrent for me buying tomorrow. OTOH, I really need to get cracking with my reading having now converted most of physical library into a digital one.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Better to wait if you can, but the resale value of the mini will still be good when the updated one comes out if you want to upgrade.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
I purchased one this week, too. Not too worried about the lack of the retina display since I have an iPad 3. I just wanted something a little more portable. This works nicely for me. I'm really enjoying my new mini.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
No. I love mine. No reason to not love yours. It was a great tablet when it was released, it was a great tablet when i bought it a month or two ago, and it's still a great tablet.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Whether you care about Retina Display or not, I imagine you'll care when your $329 iPad Mini is selling for $229 in a month.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Where did you get $229 from? New Retina Mini's will be available in a month? That's news to everyone.:rolleyes:

Look.... If you're happy with what you bought, that's fine. It's been pointed out here that the next generation Apple product will always be around the corner, and one of the IT guys in my company has been using his iPad 2 without an upgrade. He was going to buy the iPad 5, but then tried someone's Mini, and declared it a winner.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Yea, new one is coming soon.

----------

No. I love mine. No reason to not love yours. It was a great tablet when it was released, it was a great tablet when i bought it a month or two ago, and it's still a great tablet.

Until software crippies it like what happened to the iPad 1 and iOS 5.

James717

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
I wouldn't say so. The new mini will likely use a retina display and a fast processor. I bought a mini for gaming a few days ago and love it!

That's hardcore, man.

Must be nice to have the ability to buy a $300-400 gaming device that really only plays iOS tablet games.

These darn tablets don't even play FB FLASH games@! Oh, the travesty!

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
I bought an Apple TV and a MBA 2 days ago...

The rule of thumb in electronics is to buy something when you need it. It happens that the MBA is just refreshed, and the Apple TV is near a refresh cycle.

Enjoy your device. It is an awesome purchase.

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
terrible timing to buy one?
Absolutely.

Forget all these talks about products you love and other blah. Buying a product at the end of its life cycle is not adviseable unless you get a good discount off of it. Or if you're making a present.

The only valid question here is how likely we are nearing the end of the life cycle of iPad mini? The answer is: very likely. Why spend your hard earned money on old technology?

The only suitable time to buy a new Apple product is whithin its first 6 months since the release. After that you'd rather wait unless you desperately need it. Judging from your reaction, you wasn't so desperate.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
If the next mini had Retina Display and stayed the same price, then it would be. Some people are saying that it won't get a Retina Display; in which case, you wouldn't be losing out on much I think. That's really the most anticipated feature that's missing from the iPad Mini.

I doubt an upgrade in the camera or processor would affect you too much. If it got the Retina Display and became bulkier, then it's down to your own preference. I think if you can't wait a month or two, then it's not a bad time at all. The iPads hold their value quite well, and the iPad Mini isn't exactly expensive compared with the other products in Apple's line up. Even if you do lose some money, it won't be more than $100.

TL;DR: no, I don't think it's bad timing...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.