Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
Hi

I'm helping (trying) my dad build a house, one of the things he wants me to do is make a home network with both wired and wireless throughout the house.

What I have done so far, besides the electrical work, is to pull Cat5e from the basement, where the modem is, out to various locations.

The house is rather large so I plan on setting up two dual band access points that I want to broadcast the same SSID. My understanding is that in order for that to work seeminglessly they have to use the same DHCP server.

So I was thinking I wanted to build it like this:
Modem > Switch/router > Access point / Wireless router with DHCP off
................................. > Access point / Wireless router with DHCP off
................................. > Smart TV
................................. > NAS
................................. > And the rest of the Cat5e cables

So my question really is this, should I be getting an unmanaged switch, smart switch, managed switch, or router? All it needs to do, is have 12-16 ports, act as NAT, DHCP and QOS server.

Last edited:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I am doing the same at home. I intend using RADIUS with an LDAP back end for authentication. Both access points will use the same SSID and there will be one DHCP server on the network (in general there should only be one). The reason for the RADIUS/LDAP is to prevent having to setup the same access controls on the two access points and try and keep them in sync: the access control will be centralised.

I will be running the directory and RADIUS on my Synology NAS server.

wsk

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
Not sure if my experience is any help but this is my set up at home.
In my main office area I have a Netgear hi-end Router sits next to the cable modem and outputs to a Netgear 8 port gigabit switch. All other connections come off of that including my synology disk station which handles all of the NAS options.

I also have gigabit switches in other key areas of the house for multiple wired connections.

The netgear router serves one area of the house with Wifi and it serves DHCP connections. A second Linksys Valet sits in the far end of the house (L-shaped ranch) with DHCP turned off so every device is on the same network although its wifi has a different SSID.

I also have two ethernet printers in my office connected to the gigabit switch.

Hope this helps.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Hi

I'm helping (trying) my dad build a house, one of the things he wants me to do is make a home network with both wired and wireless throughout the house.

What I have done so far, besides the electrical work, is to pull Cat5e from the basement, where the modem is, out to various locations.

The house is rather large so I plan on setting up two dual band access points that I want to broadcast the same SSID. My understanding is that in order for that to work seeminglessly they have to use the same DHCP server.

So I was thinking I wanted to build it like this:
Modem > Switch/router > Access point / Wireless router with DHCP off
................................. > Access point / Wireless router with DHCP off
................................. > Smart TV
................................. > NAS
................................. > And the rest of the Cat5e cables

So my question really is this, should I be getting an unmanaged switch, smart switch, managed switch, or router? All it needs to do, is have 12-16 ports, act as NAT, DHCP and QOS server.

I have 30+ DHCP items in a tall long house (think L standing up) and I do it like this :

Modem is a dumb ADSL unit in the attic.
Behind the modem is an Airport Express that is the only Router with DHCP active. (also Dual band WiFi)
Behind that is an 8 port smart Netgear Switch (GS108tV2). This unit acts as the traffic switcher and connects to 3 other GS108tV2 switches (one for each floor).

On each floor are a number of devices - some connecting by LAN and some connecting by WiFi to an Airport unit on each floor. All Airports are setup in bridge mode with the SAME settings (SSID, Bands, Passwords etc).

I have CAT6 throughout the house and that works fine for a LAN. I could't rewire the house to/from a central point so I've linked the floors in sections through the traffic switcher.

My advice to you is to think about whether you need a smart switch and Airport unit at each location as well as a smart traffic switcher in the basement. Don't rely on the Router to do switching for you - they aren't designed well enough (and that includes the AExtreme). Only have 1 DHCP unit (unless you are clever at networking).

Good luck. Post again if I can help some more.

PS It's seamlessly not seeminglessly

Last edited:

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Also the cable throughout the house is good for about Ten years. So make sure you have the conduits with easy access to able to replace cable in the future.

One place to get cheap cable is Monoprice.com. Plus make sure you get the Shielded CAT 6 cable if the cable is close to electrical devices, wire. This will have shielding so electric fields don't corrupt data.

Lastly for home use I use D-Link Auto 8 port Switch and it works great.

One more thing when doing a wireless network know the deferences (and speed) between What is the Difference Between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wireless LAN in Industrial Applications?

Last edited:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
One other piece of advice: label everything. I've just started the in-cabinet wiring for my network and labels are slowing me down now but will be invaluable later...

Attachments

• RackDummyBuild2.jpeg
    RackDummyBuild2.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 86

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Pull multiple cords to a location, even if you only plan on using 1 or 2 ports. So you can have backup incase one cable goes dead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.