Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan1997

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Hello people. Last week I went and stayed at hotel. It wasnt fancy, just plain and below motel 6. I assume that employees there dont know about macs a lot. I had my wallstreet(It was like my second computer, a 12 inch passive matrix model). It's missing the back bezel, making it look a little broken. I went out, and I left the wallstreet in the room near the bed. I came back and the janitor cleaned the room. I looked near the bed, and NO WALLSTREET!!!:eek: I ran and askid him where is my powerbook- you know, a black rectangle? He said, oh that 'thing!', its down in the alley with the trash.I couldnt believe it! I then said can I get it? THEN GET THIS, he told me, laughing, that "oh, no, i threw it down the window, and this is the 4th floor." I was stunned. I ran and got it anyway. The entire right rear corner Where the IR port is was smashed on the case, and the insides were bent up.
the mothrboard was bent up in said place, and I could read it was where the video controller is. The screen was smashed, the keyboard bent up, and the part where the speaker is broke off, hanging only by 2 wires. The battery somehow popped out and had it's casing smashed, and I think it's broken. The right hinge was pulled off, and it want with half of the bezel
. I left it in storage, and I never powerd the powerbook on. It's really worth seeing.
Will try to post pics IF i can.
Thanks!!! Let me know whatever you think!!!

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i think you can sue the hotel people have no right to throw out anything, only if its in the trash. But that sucks

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I would be raining fire down on that hotel, they have no right to touch anything in your room.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
So what did you say to the hotel? Sounds like nothing. Actually, sounds like a bunch of bull. Starting to find it hard to believe a janitor would throw away a laptop and on top of that out a 4th story balcony.

applefan1997

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I didn't say much. The powerbook wasnt my main computer,so it wasnt as important. i just took it with me that time. Nothing personal was on it, just Mac OS 9.0, Appleworks, and thats about it. The CD drive, 256MBRAM, and modem survived, along with the processor, and HD i cant say for.It does suck, as I was planning to build an all in one flat panel computer with it.
EDIT to recent replies: They threw it down the 4th floor because i guess is a lot of walking and there is a 'private' alley that they use for trash. I still wonder why they thought it was trash, I really do...
And I will try to post pics If I can get my Olympus camerato work again.
AND:
I really wouldnt sue because I cant get much from a lawsuit, i mean the thing is worth $50.unless if you can say you paid 3000 for it new and it is a huge loss, but i dont think you can, can you?

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Bibulous said:
I call BS

I was thinking the same thing, but I can't think of any reason for somebody to make this up. So assuming this did happen, I'd sue the **** out of that hotel.

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
Haha. You'd be a prime candidate for the church of scientology. After a while, they start to believe their own stories... Common buddy. You dropped it. Admit it. No seriously. Admit it.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I'm torn! On one hand, I can't believe someone would make this up, but at the same time I can't believe that anyone in service employment would do such a thing...or that I, as the owner, wouldn't be angry. Even if it was trash, they have no right to throw it away. For all they know, it might have been recovered as part of an investigation or it might have sentimental value, or you might be fixing it for someone. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't have said anything to the manager and demanded, at the very least, the cost of repair and some additional incentive to stave off a lawsuit.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
stridey said:
Are you sure you didn't just leave it on the edge of the balcony? You know, and it just sort of fell....

(I'm not being serious, btw. it's an in-joke from a while back)

And maybe he tripped on the powercord to.

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah seriously I would demand compensation from said hotel and if they didn't give it, I'd sue their ass for every penny of the laptop.

Due to your passive attitude toward this, I may have to call BS because I can't even BEGIN to imagine what I would do if some janitor threw my powerbook out a 4th floor window.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Wat is that had been like a 17'' new PB i would have filled out!!!!!(even if it was a old crap Mactop and yours was a nice laptop)

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
I too call BS. I don't care how much something cost me or how old. If some one breaks it they are replacing it. Also why would the janitor toss it away? It is still a computer. I should be able to leave crumbled up newspapers and my beat up laptop in a hotel room with out worry of someone tossing it. If this ever happened to me, then I would raise holy hell on the establishment. I would want compensation of the original cost of the machine and something extra have my stay completely paided for. I would call the Better Business Bureau, the highest person in the hotel chain that I can get to, etc.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I have to see pictures before I believe this story. After the whole "knocked my PB off the second story balcony" I don't believe any stories unless there is proof. I find it hard to believe that someone would throw any object out a 4th story window, even if it is into a alley: chance of getting fired is too great.

mongoos150

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
Some people really *are* that stupid, I don't doubt some jackass threw it out the window. Why on Earth would someone make up a story like that? To get some fame on macrumors.com???:rolleyes:

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
muffinman said:
and become POPULAR!... on macrumors...... (which doesn't say much):eek:

where are the pics?

yeah, where are the pics? i think fame and fortune would only come if you said you turned it on and it worked! that would be incredible! anyone can throw a laptop out the window and have it NOT work!!! heh

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
There is a lesson to learn from this, never leave a laptop out of your site. And if you have to put it some where where someone won't see it like under the seat in the car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.