Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 13, 2013, 02:00 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Yelp for iOS Now Allows Full Reviews from iPhone Users




Yelp for iOS was updated to version 7.0.0 today, adding a much desired review feature. After installing the update, users will be able to add reviews to any business or restaurant from their phones.

While Yelp on the iPad has allowed reviews for quite some time, iPhone users were previously limited to adding short tips or drafting reviews that could be saved and added later via the website.

The new version of Yelp supports full reviews, and the former "Tip" button has now been replaced with a "Review" button that offers a standard review interface.
Quote:
What's new
Today's release is pretty epic, and we're not kidding around. Are you sitting down? You might want to sit down. Starting today, you can add reviews from your phone! Visit any business page, tap "add review", and go bananas.
Yelp is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Yelp for iOS Now Allows Full Reviews from iPhone Users
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 02:10 PM   #2
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
Yesssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!
lolkthxbai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 02:12 PM   #3
dysamoria
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Why did that take so long??? I didn't know the iPad app had it. So that makes its absence on iPhone even more bizarre. I thought they wanted to push people to their website and therefore blocked submission on the app in general, but that's not true if the iPad had the ability to publish. WTF?
dysamoria is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040
 
Mad Mac Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
Yelp is SUCH A JOKE for not having this included until now.... There has been a yelp app for, what, 5 years????

I never used yelp, and then after inclusion in iOS 6 I decided I'd give it a shot. The fact that I couldn't leave a review in the app was absolutely ridiculous. I immediately gave up and never used the app again. Yelp is a joke. I wish Apple hadn't used them for iOS integration. They have been such a failure.
__________________
Now I have a Signature!
iPod owner since 2006 | Mac owner since 2007
iPhone owner since 2008 | iPad owner since 2011
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 02:21 PM   #5
phr0ze
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbia, MD
Yelp is stupid. Whats the point if you can't add reviews while you are at the restaurant? I have so many unpublished reviews. I wonder how many reviews are not shared because they would not let you publish.
__________________
2012 11" MBA i7/8/256
2011 Mac Mini
Black iPad Air 64GB Verizon
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 02:25 PM   #6
SJism23
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Silly that it took this long to allow it, but I'll give them credit for the fun release note.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro (early 2011), 2.0 GHz i7, 16GB RAM; iPad 4, 32 GB; iPhone 6 Plus, 128GB
SJism23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 02:42 PM   #7
bboucher790
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
Yelp is SUCH A JOKE for not having this included until now.... There has been a yelp app for, what, 5 years????

I never used yelp, and then after inclusion in iOS 6 I decided I'd give it a shot. The fact that I couldn't leave a review in the app was absolutely ridiculous. I immediately gave up and never used the app again. Yelp is a joke. I wish Apple hadn't used them for iOS integration. They have been such a failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
Yelp is stupid. Whats the point if you can't add reviews while you are at the restaurant? I have so many unpublished reviews. I wonder how many reviews are not shared because they would not let you publish.
True and true.

However, from this day forth I guarantee you Yelp reviews will SKYROCKET and turn it into the "standard" for finding a good place.

What they need to do is integrate more of Yelp into Maps, so features can be utilized in Maps...the main place people use Yelp.
__________________
"My girlfriend always laughs during sex - no matter what she's reading." - Steve Jobs
bboucher790 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 02:45 PM   #8
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040
 
Mad Mac Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboucher790 View Post
True and true.

However, from this day forth I guarantee you Yelp reviews will SKYROCKET and turn it into the "standard" for finding a good place.
perhaps... untill yelp has missed their window of opportunity. Yelp was hip about 2-3 years ago. When iOS 6 came out yelp was already kind of on their way down.... Now I feel like it is mostly forgotten.

I think Apple should have bought yelp a long time ago and thoroughly incorporated it into the Maps app. Leaving reviews from the maps app, etc.

Edit: Haha, I see you added the bit about integration into maps as I was responding. It'd so ridiculous how little they are integrated. For nearly everything in bumps you into the app. and then you can't even review in the app. Gosh... such a joke...
__________________
Now I have a Signature!
iPod owner since 2006 | Mac owner since 2007
iPhone owner since 2008 | iPad owner since 2011
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 02:49 PM   #9
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a
 
JayCee842's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
It's about damn time.
JayCee842 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 02:53 PM   #10
John.B
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Flyover Country
Maybe now Yelp can work on fixing their worthless POI location data?
John.B is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 02:57 PM   #11
ggarthe
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I'll be more impressed when they start paying attention the user submitted corrections to fix their mess of incorrect information.
ggarthe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:14 PM   #12
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
I'm surprised that Apple didn't petition Yelp to include this feature before they integrated it into iOS. I'm sure it would've been easy for Eddy Cue to get them to make the change with little effort.
lolkthxbai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:16 PM   #13
Locoboof
macrumors 6502a
 
Locoboof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bay Area,Cali
Send a message via AIM to Locoboof
I agree,this should have been implemented on day one. One thought was....maybe they didn't allow people to add reviews from their phones was to maybe allow a "cooling off" period. Maybe the food or service might seem bad at the table while dining,but after some time once you're home...maybe it's not as bad as you thought or you've calmed down. At this point it's too late,you've already given your review. Just my two cents.... Either way...this option is long over due. This is what kept me from leaving reviews. Lol...
Locoboof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:33 PM   #14
oliversl
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Yelp is still not a worldwide effort, and that is part of the problem with data missing in Apple Maps.
__________________
My email after a captcha in: http://tinymailto.com/oliversl
oliversl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:35 PM   #15
jclo
Editor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post
Why did that take so long??? I didn't know the iPad app had it. So that makes its absence on iPhone even more bizarre. I thought they wanted to push people to their website and therefore blocked submission on the app in general, but that's not true if the iPad had the ability to publish. WTF?
From what I understand, they were reluctant to implement it on the iPhone because they didn't want shorthand, sloppy writing to make its way into reviews. See this blog post from 2009 on the subject:

http://officialblog.yelp.com/2009/12...my-mobile.html

"But why not full reviews? Well imagine what it would be like if reviews were done in SMS shorthand: "OK so, IANAE, but AFAIC this place has THE best Cfood. It was gr8! ADBB"
jclo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 04:14 PM   #16
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a
 
OldSchoolMacGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
A feature that should have been included from day-1.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 04:18 PM   #17
\-V-/
macrumors 65816
 
\-V-/'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclo View Post
From what I understand, they were reluctant to implement it on the iPhone because they didn't want shorthand, sloppy writing to make its way into reviews. See this blog post from 2009 on the subject:

http://officialblog.yelp.com/2009/12...my-mobile.html

"But why not full reviews? Well imagine what it would be like if reviews were done in SMS shorthand: "OK so, IANAE, but AFAIC this place has THE best Cfood. It was gr8! ADBB"
People type like that even when they're on the computer. Idiots will be idiots, regardless of their means of typing. It was silly of them not to incorporate it until now and it's why I stopped bothering with the app a long time ago. I might try it out again since they put the stupidly obvious feature in.
\-V-/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 04:45 PM   #18
ineedamac
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ohio
Agree

[QUOTE=Locoboof;17728812]I agree,this should have been implemented on day one. One thought was....maybe they didn't allow people to add reviews from their phones was to maybe allow a "cooling off" period. Maybe the food or service might seem bad at the table while dining,but after some time once you're home...maybe it's not as bad as you thought or you've calmed down. At this point it's too late,you've already given your review. Just my two cents.... Either way...this option is long over due. /QUOTE]

I agree with this. Let people cool off.
ineedamac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 04:47 PM   #19
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco, California
[QUOTE=Mad Mac Maniac;17728471]Yelp is SUCH A JOKE for not having this included until now.... There has been a yelp app for, what, 5 years????
QUOTE]

Yep, really irritated me because I'd try and I couldn't. I'd try again a couple of weeks late because I forgot, and I couldn't.
Now it's just so late, I almost don't want to out of spite. How could this take so long?
__________________
iPhone 6 64GB Mac Mini (2011) Apple TV 3
darkslide29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 04:55 PM   #20
baller1308
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
better late than never I suppose.
__________________
I <3 Apple
baller1308 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 05:15 PM   #21
cmwade77
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Wow, this took forever and is something that should have obviously been there since day one.
cmwade77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 05:16 PM   #22
flounder021
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locoboof View Post
I agree,this should have been implemented on day one. One thought was....maybe they didn't allow people to add reviews from their phones was to maybe allow a "cooling off" period. Maybe the food or service might seem bad at the table while dining,but after some time once you're home...maybe it's not as bad as you thought or you've calmed down. At this point it's too late,you've already given your review. Just my two cents.... Either way...this option is long over due. This is what kept me from leaving reviews. Lol...
Nailed it.
flounder021 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 05:30 PM   #23
theheadguy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: california
Send a message via AIM to theheadguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclo View Post
From what I understand, they were reluctant to implement it on the iPhone because they didn't want shorthand, sloppy writing to make its way into reviews.
This is precisely it. In addition to sloppy reviews, they didn't want inaccurate reviews done out of anger or frustration in the heat of the moment after bad service. You draft a review, and finish it after you've had time to reflect.

It's not about having fun on an iPhone, it's about leaving accurate reviews so when you want to find a good place, you can trust the data.

It's embarrassing to read posts from users who have no clue that it was an intentional and well thought out omission this entire time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post
Why did that take so long??? I didn't know the iPad app had it. So that makes its absence on iPhone even more bizarre. I thought they wanted to push people to their website and therefore blocked submission on the app in general, but that's not true if the iPad had the ability to publish. WTF?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
Yelp is SUCH A JOKE for not having this included until now.... There has been a yelp app for, what, 5 years???? I never used yelp, and then after inclusion in iOS 6 I decided I'd give it a shot. The fact that I couldn't leave a review in the app was absolutely ridiculous. I immediately gave up and never used the app again. Yelp is a joke. I wish Apple hadn't used them for iOS integration. They have been such a failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
Yelp is stupid. Whats the point if you can't add reviews while you are at the restaurant? I have so many unpublished reviews. I wonder how many reviews are not shared because they would not let you publish.
__________________
the best feature of this forum is the ability to turn off the viewing of signatures
theheadguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 06:27 PM   #24
carfac
macrumors 65816
 
carfac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadguy View Post
This is precisely it. In addition to sloppy reviews, they didn't want inaccurate reviews
.
I have always looked at Yelp as a lot like Wikipedia in that accuracy always seems to take a back seat to volume...
carfac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:22 AM   #25
philosopherdog
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Yelp has immense potential. I think it's a great service. They have a lot to still get right for sure. I was getting email notifications, for instance, about the best places to eat steak in the suburbs. I'm a vegetarian living in the city core. Just an example.
philosopherdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Resolved: Base model reviews from other users fitgirl MacBook Pro 12 Oct 31, 2013 09:32 AM
iPad Mini: Could iOS 7 make a full size iPad more attractive to Mini users? arbogast777 iPad 12 Jun 25, 2013 11:19 AM
iOS 7 broke the Yelp app saintforlife iOS 7 9 Jun 12, 2013 07:22 PM
Apple Integrating Yelp Check-Ins Directly into iOS 6 Maps MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 29 Jul 5, 2012 02:07 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC