Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:03 PM   #1
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Windows 8 or Windows 7?

Hello all,

i'm curious which version of Windows those of you that run VMs use on your air? I have always just stuck with XP because that's where the PC world was when I left. Well, they were on Vista which is a big part of WHY I left but i've always fallen back on XP when I need Windows... is that still the case or are more people running their VMs with 7 or 8?
looking around this forum i have seen people having a lot of luck running both w7 and 8 on their MBAs

thanks!
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:04 PM   #2
mattferg
macrumors 6502

8 is currently the fastest running version of Windows out there, and is also a lot easier/cheaper to obtain than Windows 7, so I'd go for 8. I use 8 on everything I run.
mattferg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:13 PM   #3
s15119
macrumors 6502a

ick. what a crime to put Winblow$ on an Air.
s15119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Win8 metro interface really wants a touch screen. But I hear the latest 8.1 will let you boot directly into the traditional desktop. That would be my only concern.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:15 PM   #5
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattferg View Post
8 is currently the fastest running version of Windows out there, and is also a lot easier/cheaper to obtain than Windows 7, so I'd go for 8. I use 8 on everything I run.
awesome, will do. thanks mate!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15119 View Post
ick. what a crime to put Winblow$ on an Air.
in the real world there are software suites that only work in a windows environment... thankfully that gets less and less every year as market pressure pushes developers to make OSX compatible programs but we're not quite there yet.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:17 PM   #6
ZBoater
macrumors 604

I personally prefer Windows 7. I never warmed up to Windows 8. I have 8.1 preview installed and configured to look like Windows 7. I don't really see the big deal of a difference.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:21 PM   #7
mattferg
macrumors 6502

Windows 8 is basically Windows 7 with a redesigned full-screen start menu. Once you realise and accept that it's actually really nice to use Pretty much as usable as OS X.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:23 PM   #8
tgi
macrumors 6502a

Which Windows version is generally recommended for gaming via Bootcamp. I went with Windows 7 Home Premium and hoping I made the right choice.
tgi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:24 PM   #9
mattferg
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgi View Post
Which Windows version is generally recommended for gaming via Bootcamp. I went with Windows 7 Home Premium and hoping I made the right choice.
Windows 8 has access to more advanced DirectX stuff so 8 is probably a better bet. A lot of the media are downplaying 8 and hyping it up as the next Vista, but the truth is that it's selling fairly well and there isn't much wrong with it from a desktop standpoint. Tablet is another matter.

Let's face it, writing articles proclaiming the downfall of Microsoft because of 8 sells papers/gets clicks.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:28 PM   #10
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Windows 8 has access to more advanced DirectX stuff so 8 is probably a better bet. A lot of the media are downplaying 8 and hyping it up as the next Vista, but the truth is that it's selling fairly well and there isn't much wrong with it from a desktop standpoint. Tablet is another matter.

Let's face it, writing articles proclaiming the downfall of Microsoft because of 8 sells papers/gets clicks.
yeah...but they said the same thing about Vista and Vista really is one of the worst things MS or any reputable software company has ever put out.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:39 PM   #11
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgi View Post
You will be fine. I can't see a game publisher (other than Microsoft) making games that ONLY run on Windows 8. They would shoot themselves in the foot if they did that.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:42 PM   #12
jadAce
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
You will be fine. I can't see a game publisher (other than Microsoft) making games that ONLY run on Windows 8. They would shoot themselves in the foot if they did that.
+1
(Unless you count some of the few "mobile" style games that work with touch on Windows 8, which I'm guessing many people wouldn't use on a MacBook Air anyways).
jadAce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 04:59 PM   #13
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Windows 8 has access to more advanced DirectX stuff so 8 is probably a better bet.

DirectX is just a module and as far as I know, Microsoft has not stopped updating 7.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 06:43 PM   #14
mattferg
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
DirectX is just a module and as far as I know, Microsoft has not stopped updating 7.
I believe (if I'm not mistaken) that XP was limited to DX9, Vista is limited to DX10, 7 brought in DX11, I don't know about 8 but it's probably a similar story. Either way, 8 runs faster, and thus is better for games as it uses less system resources too. It's just a better choice tbh.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 06:46 PM   #15
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
I believe (if I'm not mistaken) that XP was limited to DX9, Vista is limited to DX10, 7 brought in DX11, I don't know about 8 but it's probably a similar story. Either way, 8 runs faster, and thus is better for games as it uses less system resources too. It's just a better choice tbh.
8 supports DirectX 11.1 (as does Windows 7). Windows 8.1 (which is not even out yet) will support DirectX 11.2. By the time a game comes out that requires or takes advantage of 11.2, it will be time for a new MBA anyway...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113
Old Aug 13, 2013, 06:47 PM   #16
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Windows 8. You can pause file transfers across a network.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:33 PM   #17
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Windows 8. You can pause file transfers across a network.
That is cool
Old Aug 13, 2013, 09:27 PM   #18
Brandon263
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedMic View Post
Hello all,

i'm curious which version of Windows those of you that run VMs use on your air? I have always just stuck with XP because that's where the PC world was when I left. Well, they were on Vista which is a big part of WHY I left but i've always fallen back on XP when I need Windows... is that still the case or are more people running their VMs with 7 or 8?
looking around this forum i have seen people having a lot of luck running both w7 and 8 on their MBAs

thanks!
Windows 8 because it's faaaaast and it's fun to play with the Metro interface and it's apps from time to time. If you've got a base Air, it's also leagues better at memory management than Max OS X is.
Brandon263 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:57 PM   #19
beautifulcoder
macrumors regular

I would simply stick with XP. XP is the best piece of software Microsoft ever wrote as everything after that was just a downgrade without any real direction. XP still has around 40% market share. Once that market share goes down to zero it's good bye Microsucks.
beautifulcoder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:25 PM   #20
ApplNat
macrumors member

I loved WinXP but it's just not supported anymore. I loaded Win 8 on my new MBA under VMWare Fusion 5.

Also, there are free utility programs that will give the user back the look/feel of the Win 7 or WinXP Start button so you never have to see the metro screen. That's what I'm doing and it works great.
ApplNat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air