Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:03 PM   #1
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Windows 8 or Windows 7?

Hello all,

i'm curious which version of Windows those of you that run VMs use on your air? I have always just stuck with XP because that's where the PC world was when I left. Well, they were on Vista which is a big part of WHY I left but i've always fallen back on XP when I need Windows... is that still the case or are more people running their VMs with 7 or 8?
looking around this forum i have seen people having a lot of luck running both w7 and 8 on their MBAs

thanks!
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:04 PM   #2
mattferg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2013
8 is currently the fastest running version of Windows out there, and is also a lot easier/cheaper to obtain than Windows 7, so I'd go for 8. I use 8 on everything I run.
mattferg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:13 PM   #3
s15119
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
ick. what a crime to put Winblow$ on an Air.
s15119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Win8 metro interface really wants a touch screen. But I hear the latest 8.1 will let you boot directly into the traditional desktop. That would be my only concern.
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:15 PM   #5
DisplacedMic
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattferg View Post
8 is currently the fastest running version of Windows out there, and is also a lot easier/cheaper to obtain than Windows 7, so I'd go for 8. I use 8 on everything I run.
awesome, will do. thanks mate!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15119 View Post
ick. what a crime to put Winblow$ on an Air.
in the real world there are software suites that only work in a windows environment... thankfully that gets less and less every year as market pressure pushes developers to make OSX compatible programs but we're not quite there yet.
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:17 PM   #6
ZBoater
macrumors 604
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
I personally prefer Windows 7. I never warmed up to Windows 8. I have 8.1 preview installed and configured to look like Windows 7. I don't really see the big deal of a difference.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 | MacBook Air | Thunderbolt Display | Apple TV | Time Capsule
ZBoater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:21 PM   #7
mattferg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2013
Windows 8 is basically Windows 7 with a redesigned full-screen start menu. Once you realise and accept that it's actually really nice to use Pretty much as usable as OS X.
mattferg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:23 PM   #8
tgi
macrumors 6502a
 
tgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Which Windows version is generally recommended for gaming via Bootcamp. I went with Windows 7 Home Premium and hoping I made the right choice.
tgi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:24 PM   #9
mattferg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgi View Post
Which Windows version is generally recommended for gaming via Bootcamp. I went with Windows 7 Home Premium and hoping I made the right choice.
Windows 8 has access to more advanced DirectX stuff so 8 is probably a better bet. A lot of the media are downplaying 8 and hyping it up as the next Vista, but the truth is that it's selling fairly well and there isn't much wrong with it from a desktop standpoint. Tablet is another matter.

Let's face it, writing articles proclaiming the downfall of Microsoft because of 8 sells papers/gets clicks.
mattferg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:28 PM   #10
DisplacedMic
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattferg View Post
Windows 8 has access to more advanced DirectX stuff so 8 is probably a better bet. A lot of the media are downplaying 8 and hyping it up as the next Vista, but the truth is that it's selling fairly well and there isn't much wrong with it from a desktop standpoint. Tablet is another matter.

Let's face it, writing articles proclaiming the downfall of Microsoft because of 8 sells papers/gets clicks.
yeah...but they said the same thing about Vista and Vista really is one of the worst things MS or any reputable software company has ever put out.
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:39 PM   #11
ZBoater
macrumors 604
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgi View Post
Which Windows version is generally recommended for gaming via Bootcamp. I went with Windows 7 Home Premium and hoping I made the right choice.
You will be fine. I can't see a game publisher (other than Microsoft) making games that ONLY run on Windows 8. They would shoot themselves in the foot if they did that.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 | MacBook Air | Thunderbolt Display | Apple TV | Time Capsule
ZBoater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:42 PM   #12
jadAce
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
You will be fine. I can't see a game publisher (other than Microsoft) making games that ONLY run on Windows 8. They would shoot themselves in the foot if they did that.
+1
(Unless you count some of the few "mobile" style games that work with touch on Windows 8, which I'm guessing many people wouldn't use on a MacBook Air anyways).
jadAce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 04:59 PM   #13
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattferg View Post
Windows 8 has access to more advanced DirectX stuff so 8 is probably a better bet.

DirectX is just a module and as far as I know, Microsoft has not stopped updating 7.
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 06:43 PM   #14
mattferg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
DirectX is just a module and as far as I know, Microsoft has not stopped updating 7.
I believe (if I'm not mistaken) that XP was limited to DX9, Vista is limited to DX10, 7 brought in DX11, I don't know about 8 but it's probably a similar story. Either way, 8 runs faster, and thus is better for games as it uses less system resources too. It's just a better choice tbh.
mattferg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 06:46 PM   #15
ZBoater
macrumors 604
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattferg View Post
I believe (if I'm not mistaken) that XP was limited to DX9, Vista is limited to DX10, 7 brought in DX11, I don't know about 8 but it's probably a similar story. Either way, 8 runs faster, and thus is better for games as it uses less system resources too. It's just a better choice tbh.
8 supports DirectX 11.1 (as does Windows 7). Windows 8.1 (which is not even out yet) will support DirectX 11.2. By the time a game comes out that requires or takes advantage of 11.2, it will be time for a new MBA anyway...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 | MacBook Air | Thunderbolt Display | Apple TV | Time Capsule
ZBoater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 06:47 PM   #16
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604
 
thejadedmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pa
Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Windows 8. You can pause file transfers across a network.
__________________
MacBook 17" MacBook Pro iPod Nano Apple TV
PS4 Custom Windows 8.1 Desktop WP8.1
"Good judgment comes from experience,
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:33 PM   #17
DisplacedMic
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Windows 8. You can pause file transfers across a network.
That is cool
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 09:27 PM   #18
Brandon263
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaumont, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedMic View Post
Hello all,

i'm curious which version of Windows those of you that run VMs use on your air? I have always just stuck with XP because that's where the PC world was when I left. Well, they were on Vista which is a big part of WHY I left but i've always fallen back on XP when I need Windows... is that still the case or are more people running their VMs with 7 or 8?
looking around this forum i have seen people having a lot of luck running both w7 and 8 on their MBAs

thanks!
Windows 8 because it's faaaaast and it's fun to play with the Metro interface and it's apps from time to time. If you've got a base Air, it's also leagues better at memory management than Max OS X is.
Brandon263 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:57 PM   #19
beautifulcoder
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Republic of Texas
I would simply stick with XP. XP is the best piece of software Microsoft ever wrote as everything after that was just a downgrade without any real direction. XP still has around 40% market share. Once that market share goes down to zero it's good bye Microsucks.
beautifulcoder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:25 PM   #20
ApplNat
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2013
I loved WinXP but it's just not supported anymore. I loaded Win 8 on my new MBA under VMWare Fusion 5.

Also, there are free utility programs that will give the user back the look/feel of the Win 7 or WinXP Start button so you never have to see the metro screen. That's what I'm doing and it works great.
ApplNat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lost windows 7 password. Need to create windows bootable usb with my mac oxplode OS X 1 Mar 17, 2014 12:35 PM
why does DU show windows.boot.ini files updated when I don't have windows on my mac GlowJoy MacBook Pro 1 Feb 22, 2014 08:41 PM
Slow WIFI Internet in Windows 7 Boot Camp after Windows Update abercrombie Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 0 Aug 11, 2013 05:03 PM
Significant Difference in Windows Partition Size - Disk Utility vs. Windows Explorer LTCMark Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 0 Apr 19, 2013 10:42 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC